• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Keeping a springer cocked

Very cool post , thanks for sharing with us . The main effect ive personally seen from keeping a gun cocked for several days ( 100% by accident ) was a puff of smoke , similar to dieseling when it was fired .
Not sure why , my gun is dry inside . Could have been moisture , maybe dust or something ? But I'm with you , I was really surprised by the very slight loss after 1 full week.

LOL...keeping the springer cocked for 1 WEEK does seem excessive and 4 weeks is rediculous!

Using a .177 R9 (or any of my springers) for squirrel hunting when living in West Virginia I would simply cock the gun when I got to the "squirrel woods" and go hunting "normal style". If there wasn't a shot taken at least every hour it was a really slow day and I usually shot my last shot and went home. Doing this there was never an issue with a Maccari spring losing significant velocity after a couple years of shooting about 10,000 CPLs per year.

I do remember that I was enamoured with shooting 10.5 grain Crosman Premier heavies from my R9 at 800 fps so I bought a heavy wire Steel Gate spring from Jim Maccari and spaced it up to the max, yet I never got more than 780fps with that "tooth rattler". After a shooting session I accidentally left the gun cocked for two days and thought sure that the spring had sagged after shooting the loaded pellet since the cocking effort was easier than before. Just for grins I shot a 10.5 grainer over the chrony and found that the velocity actually CLIMBED to 790fps with the weakened spring. Those were my early days of home tuning and I learned that a springer needs to have "balanced timing" to shoot most efficiently. I theorize that when the heavy wire spring was "un-sagged" it caused the CPH to "pop the leade" before max pressure was attained.

I remember reading Tom Gaylord's book " The Beeman R1 supermagnum air rifle" where he also did long term spring compression tests and used the criteria for failure when a spring lost 10% of it's new velocity. LOL.....if my spring lost only 2% velocity (850fps down to about 830fps), my springer would have it's spring replaced. LOL.....I had a Vortex PG2 kit sag in my R9 and the CPL velocity dropped from 960fps to 880 (about 8%) shooting less than four 1250 count boxes of CPLs in four months time. That spring kit was replaced so I guess different shooters have different opinions of when a spring has failed!

I've made similar test a few weeks ago with one cheaper springer witch is Crosman Copperhead. So that is my conclusion:

s it ok? Probably not so much - that is what we hear from pros and semi pros that shoot springers for 20-30 years. But my porivate observations are some what different. 
Im a springer shooter and airgun fixer/tuner from Poland and several days ago I made a little experiment (detailed description of it is here - text in polish: http://zwiatremwlufie.pl/rozne/zmeczenie-sprezyny-wiatrowki/​ but you can use g translator: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=pl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fzwiatremwlufie.pl%2Frozne%2Fzmeczenie-sprezyny-wiatrowki%2F&edit-text=&act=url
In Poland we have 17J limit and my friend came to me with brand new Crosman Copperhead (it is a dirt cheap piece of ... chinese machinery with american branding) and it was much above 17 joules. Diagnose: cut your spring. But my friend lend me that rifle form little experiment - i figured that I will check how fast spring will lose energy if I will leave it cocked. 
So:
1. originaly - 279,3 m/s (all test made on JSB Exacts 4,52mm average from 10 shots
2. after 6 hours cocked - 273,2 m/s
3. 17,5h cocked from last shooting - 273,3 m/s
4. 3 days cocked after last shooting - 272,6 m/s
5. 16 days left cocked after last shooting - 270,2 m/s

So conclusion is - it shouldnt change to much if will leave your springer cocked for 30 minutes. If cheap chinese spring in crosman did not let go - german in HW or AA should also. Reason why before people said that it will ruin your spring is probably because now we just have so much better sprongs in our airguns.

Sorry, my bad...........
CPL = Crosman Premier Light which is the .177 cal 7.9 grain pellet from 1250 count die lot marked and dated boxes like this.........
l0LjIlCh.jpg

CPH = Crosman Premier Heavy which is the .177 cal 10.5 grain pellet from from 1250 count die lot marked and dated boxes similar to the above.

As a side note, the Crosman Premiers in the 500 count tin at WallyMart aren't the same pellet and they have a greater variation of head size and weight in the tin. Still, some have pretty good accuracy from the "tinned Premiers" from some guns but "not so much" from my HW95 and R9..........
CQh86oCh.jpg

Notice the Premier hollow point group on the right from my HW95 shot at only 18 yards.......
ITaZqrnh.jpg

Here is a 10 shot 18 yard group shot by the same gun using the 1250 count boxed die lot marked and dated Crosman Premier........
BFwtirZh.jpg

I do have to admit that the CPL have a rather large head so I sized the pellet heads for use with my HW95 which has a rather tight leade.

With the .177 R9 which has a looser pellet fit in the leade I was able to put 15 out of 20 unsized CPLs through a 3/4" killzone at 50 yards while sitting on a bucket resting the gun on cross sticks like this.............
ZhcCsvmh.jpg

FNe2nN9h.jpg