• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Keeping .177 under the sound barrier.

Hi there, 
I am looking at getting a high-power spring piston air rifle (Benjamin Trail NP2) which is advertised at shooting 1500 with alloy pellets and 1150 with some unknown grain lead pellet. I knew there is a loud 'snap' when a pellet breaks the sound barrier (1125fps) and would like keep the speed under that barrier so I don't upset the neighbors. Iam looking for someone with experience with this gun or other spring/piston rifles advertised at shooting 1200fps who have managed to keep it quite using heavier pellets or pellets that are less aerodynamic.
thanks anyone who can help me out. cheers

You could ask for comments from people using heavy for caliber pellets in that air rifle. The heavier pellet will result in a lower velocity. If you are going to do anything other than target shooting and pest birds I would go to a larger caliber. I like the 22 for the ability to kill squirrels. While a 177 will do it you will have to do your part with perfect shot placement. Less than perfect shot placement on tough game will result in a wounded animal wandering off to the neighbors for their 5 year old girl to find. Not Good!!

I think you need to shoot at around 1000fps or less. The slower the better. 1500 is way to fast. When the pellet breaks the sound barrier, the pellet starts to tumble.

if you could find a heavy enough pellet that will shoot lights out at around 1000fps.

good luck, hopes this helps. Oh the Maurader in .22 will kill a bunny no problem. Plus better accuracy than the Benjamin Trail.

Hope this helps.

Hey thanks for the reply. Forgot to mention this is will be purely a target plinker. Reasons for the .177 is cost and availability where I live. In Canada I am not sure the rules on hunting vs pest control but I agree, I wouldn't risk wounding an animal with a .177. I want to test myself at distance so I would like a high power rifle but that sound barrier snap makes a big difference, don't think the neighbors would like to hear it 100 times a week. Just looking for a rifle that is rated 1200+ but stays under 1100fps with the right ammo.