Katran Feedback?

I have one. Katran b. What would you like to know.

Mine -doesn’t like low hammer spring tension the ES gets gapy. Very consistent regulator. Shoots everything accurately. Decently quiet with out a can but with a can dang that’s quiet. Anti double feed. Mine is the early modes that a little play in the but stock. Kinda reminds me of an fx dream line. Has a great trigger.

Reactions: Mr.H
I have one. Katran b. What would you like to know.

Mine -doesn’t like low hammer spring tension the ES gets gapy. Very consistent regulator. Shoots everything accurately. Decently quiet with out a can but with a can dang that’s quiet. Anti double feed. Mine is the early modes that a little play in the but stock. Kinda reminds me of an fx dream line. Has a great trigger.

That helps a lot, thanks! Are you shooting a .22 or .25? Assuming yours is a .22, can you ramp it up to shoot the JSB Monster re-designs well?

I have the tube version in .22 cal. It is a great gun, very accurate, quiet with a moderator, great trigger, light weight, but it is an air hog. I wanted to increase the reg pressure to get JSB 18.13's shooting at 870 to 890 but was unable get much higher than the factory setting. I'm presently shooting JSB 15.89's at 875 fps. I bought it from Krale, got it in 3 days from placing my order shipped to my door here in TN. 

I have had a model L in .25 cal and currently have a CB also in .25 cal.

The L was very accurate (out to the 100 yards I shot it), light weight, smooth action, great trigger, nice magazines. Suffered a bit from slightly 'loose' stock lock-up (1st gen folding stock), but was easily rectified with layers of electric tape at the joint. Their monopod/bag rider was a help when shooting off the bench, and is reasonably priced. But the overall skeletal and light weight stock does somewhat hamper getting really stable when shooting off the bench. With the longer barrel it was backyard quiet for me without any additional moderation. Efficiency of air use not the best.

The CB has the same inherent accuracy in a somewhat smaller package. Reasonable shot count with the bottle, but still not efficient with air. Has the same attributes as the L: build quality, smooth action, great trigger, nice mags. Not backyard friendly without additional moderation, so that somewhat negates the smaller form factor. 2nd gen folding stock is better and locks up tighter. It has a short barrel so is not a monster regarding power. L model was easily shooting 25.39's at ~960 fps, and 34's at 870 fps. CB shoots 25.39's at ~780fps, but that's O.K. with me as I intended it as a shorter range hunter.

Agree with everything above, I had a Compact Bottle and the Standard. The Standard or Version 1 had the very slightly wobbly folding stock (it's easily ignored or fixed with a small tape shim) while the later Compact Bottle Version 2 stock was perfectly solid and has two cool magnetic magazine holders.

Their use of magnets is clever and useful. I like the Daystate magnetic mag holders even better though. 

Magazines are better than average. Fill probe isn't.

The only build issue on the Compact was the dust cover for the opposite side of the action lever sat proud at the unsecured end. Very minor but kind of silly too. Like the decision to use KeyMod at this point. 

I bought the Compact first and loved everything but the shot count so I bought the Standard and figured I could swap parts or live with the standard and sell the other. But even with the 480cc bottle I wasn't satisfied so I ultimately sold both. 

It feels like a gun that is 95% there but they needed some Americans to tell them what the market wants? Probably they think we only care about power but there are plenty of guns that get twice the shots at the same power. (Don't put me on the spot, I made that statistic up)

By now they ought to realize we want guns with Foster fills, hammer, regulator and valve adjustability, replaceable grips and stocks, Pic rails for bipods, 1/2-UNF threads, adjustable triggers, side lever cocking, larger magazines that don't interfere with scopes, and as simple an action as possible in a well made package. Better than an Impact ;-p

The folding stocks are useful for air travel in a case but otherwise they don't add much practical value everyday since the scopes usually hang further to the rear than the folding mechanism so you have to be more careful with the folded gun than anything else. But they're cool checklist items. 

If you have a compressor and buddy bottle then it's a great gun! 

Realistically they are $900-$1000 guns not $1400 guns. 

Thanks a bunch, really appreciate all the replies. These guns, from Krale anyway, look like they are sub $1200.

Anybody want to go out on a limb and compare the .25 Katran to other light weight bullpups that can deliver 40/ft. lbs?? Vet Shorty??

And I do have a Great White with a Bauer Oceanus, so air isn't a problem.

I think that Frankly probably summed up the Katrans the best when he said that they are like 95% of the way there.

I never found myself choosing a Katran first out of the gun rack for the day's particular shooting. If I want a long and powerful gun off the bench, I will chose something which is more stable for me (heavier weight be d@mned - or maybe even preferred). It seems to me like AirMaks perhaps abbreviated the stocks on their guns a little too far towards 'make it as light as possible.' It is not fragile by any means, it just doesn't give you the level of stability of other gun designs.

If I am choosing a light, compact folding gun which maybe I can put in my backpack, it would first be a Leshiy Classic. Or even a Maverick Compact. I find it great that these other guns don't need the additional moderator (length) which I feel the Katran CB does (perhaps it wouldn't in .22 cal?).

Having shot both the long and compact versions, I see the best use case for the Katran would be for a walk-around hunter, who is not working in dense brush or forest, who wants light weight, power and accuracy, and who would be shooting off handed or supported off hand (resting on a tree) and doesn't need a ton of shots. Definitely a hunter as opposed to a bench gun, in my opinion (the longer barreled versions). As for a compact gun, there are lots of better choices out there which may weigh more but are more on the level of 100% complete. And would typically cost you a bit more money (at least a couple hundred bucks as compared to the price of a Mav).