• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Karma Karma Red Panda Bench Model

Derrick,
As far as I know about the old stock BSA PCP barrels, those are not polygonal. Those have round edges on only one side of lands and have 12 grooves. Shallow grooves and gradually choked during the hammer forging process.

The pic you have shared is very much like LW Polygonal barrel.

Just my thoughts. Please don't mind.

Bhaur
I’ve been told that they are definitely not polygonal and they aren’t. Besides the 12 vice 6 groove, they look like old BSA style. It’s secret sauce I suppose.

Reactions: mubhaur
I think it was crushed instead of dropped. Dropping a gun should not rip out/strip threads on what looks like a 3/4" bolt. (Mabe a forklift driver crushed a pallet)?
FreeFlow had this problem with the Lotus in the 90's. They switched from making guns inhouse to having them made in China. The threads stripped out on all the Chinese guns. Ruined the company. Heliocol after Heliocol (SP).
I am not saying that is the case here but if it is... I have seen this movie before.

Yes! Chinese guns are going to receive more skepticism than German guns... Why? Precedent.

Reactions: zx10wall
I think it was crushed instead of dropped. Dropping a gun should not rip out/strip threads on what looks like a 3/4" bolt. (Mabe a forklift driver crushed a pallet)?
FreeFlow had this problem with the Lotus in the 90's. They switched from making guns inhouse to having them made in China. The threads stripped out on all the Chinese guns. Ruined the company. Heliocol after Heliocol (SP).
I am not saying that is the case here but if it is... I have seen this movie before.

Yes! Chinese guns are going to receive more skepticism than German guns... Why? Precedent.
I do understand. I personally think that they should have used longer bolts there. There is more threads that the shortish bolt isn’t catching. I noticed this when I swapped the cocking lever. That was a choir, believe it or not! I took most of the gun down to achieve it!

Last edited:
I’ve been told that they are definitely not polygonal and they aren’t. Besides the 12 vice 6 groove, they look like old BSA style. It’s secret sauce I suppose.
Yes. Just zoomed the pic and looks like it's a combination of polygonal and traditional style rifling. A unique combination. ✨

Nice, 1st upgrade would be a better hard case!
The major issue with the case is that there isn’t dense hardy foam or packing being used. The spongy foam they are using currently, doesn’t stop this 17.8 lb. PCP from shifting and moving.

Yes, I will have to invest in a nice case. I usually use Savior soft cases but that’s not a good idea with the RP!

Got my rp from PA today the hard case did not hold up to ups broke the gun

View attachment 464991
Well it looks like the RP has it’s first test of the ruggedness of this gun, this is unfortunate but this looks like a week spot? What happens when you drop this 17lb behemoth (plus scope) on its butstock… now don’t take this bashing or contempt, hopefully they pack it in a more protective case and address why those socket head screws pulled right out of action.

Last edited:
Cleaned barrel.
IMG_3038.jpeg

IMG_3039.jpeg

IMG_3042.jpeg

IMG_3043.jpeg

IMG_3048.jpeg

Last edited:
Is it me or the crown and barrel lands and grooves aren’t that smooth and uniformed? Maybe it’s the angle/lighting?

Here is a TJ barrel, the RP barrel seems to be a variation of thyme of lands and groove TJ uses. Here is TJ barrel picture but with much better lighting.
View attachment 465170
Who knows. It’s probably Chinese crap and gets lucky winning big events. We’ll see if it can hit the side of a barn soon.

Who knows. It’s probably Chinese crap and gets lucky winning big events. We’ll see if it can hit the side of a barn soon.

From some owners posts the RP seems to be accurate, nothing extraordinary but good. Just curious if it’s lighting/camera? China makes amazingly good quality stuff if you pay for it but the barrel doesn’t look that great from these pictures. For the price I was thinking they would/should get top level cut, hand lapped and polished barrels.

As far as winning competitions goes, my opinions are always the shooter wins but the gun has to be good enough.

From some owners posts the RP seems to be accurate, nothing extraordinary but good. Just curious if it’s lighting/camera? China makes amazingly good quality stuff if you pay for it but the barrel doesn’t look that great from these pictures. For the price I was thinking they would/should get top level cut, hand lapped and polished barrels.

As far as winning competitions goes, my opinions are always the shooter wins but the gun has to be good enough.
Yep. I’m not a paid photographer, sorry for the quality there. We gonna see.

The RP has shine that TJ doesn’t. Man, you should polish that dull thing 🤣

Last edited:
A major reason I've become allergic to selling air rifles long-distance is the fact that the longer and/or heavier the rifle package, the MORE EXPONENTIALLY difficult it becomes to get it to its destination without damage to the contents. Consequently, packaging weight and mass must also increase EXPONENTIALLY to the weight and mass of the contents if they are to arrive intact; as also must insured-value fees (increase shipping costs).

Example- We have our example of how a run-of-the-mill foam-padded hard rifle case fails to protect a long, 18 pound, $1500+ air rifle from ape-ish package handlers bent on destroying the contents. In my experience it would take a $200 airline-approved rifle case that is 10-15 pounds heavier than the afore-described coffin-case.

So the cost of the necessary case not only adds $150 to the price of the rifle, but another 10 pounds to the shipping weight; thereby increasing not only package weight, but also insured-value. Hence EXPONENTIALLY increasing not only the price of the rifle, but also shipping costs- what I'll term 'a triple-whammy'!

To close I'll repeat a bit of advice I've posted several times before. The only way to insure long, heavy air rifles arrive intact is to OVER-PACKAGE to the point it is virtually impossible for package-handling apes to destroy the contents, and insure the package for enough value to replace the contents ANYWAY. Also might not be a bad idea to insure the contents for enough replacement value to include untold hours of your time and aggravation dealing with a UPS, FedEx or USPS damage claim!

The RP may be a short-lived offering simply because of its shipping-case shortcomings.

Transitioning from low density foam to much higher density foam may resolve the shipping issue in my opinion, also there is only 1" of foam on the butt of the gun and 2" for the entire length on top of the gun, and 1" towards the barrel.. which for a 18# gun is probably inadequate, plus that case is rather thin so you also have many vectors where damage could be produced from being dropped from decent height or being tossed/thrown around by employees loading/unloading packages.

18 lbs is a lot though, maybe they should have designed the gun to be easily assembled upon delivery so it could be broken down and shipped in 3-4 self contained, lighter pieces.

Hopefully this is a 1/100,000 occurrence where this particular package experienced a very peculiar episode along its journey from point A to point B.

-Matt

A major reason I've become allergic to selling air rifles long-distance is the fact that the longer and/or heavier the rifle package, the MORE EXPONENTIALLY difficult it becomes to get it to its destination without damage to the contents. Consequently, packaging weight and mass must also increase EXPONENTIALLY to the weight and mass of the contents if they are to arrive intact; as also must insured-value fees (increase shipping costs).

Example- We have our example of how a run-of-the-mill foam-padded hard rifle case fails to protect a long, 18 pound, $1500+ air rifle from ape-ish package handlers bent on destroying the contents. In my experience it would take a $200 airline-approved rifle case that is 10-15 pounds heavier than the afore-described coffin-case.

So the cost of the necessary case not only adds $150 to the price of the rifle, but another 10 pounds to the shipping weight; thereby increasing not only package weight, but also insured-value. Hence EXPONENTIALLY increasing not only the price of the rifle, but also shipping costs- what I'll term 'a triple-whammy'!

To close I'll repeat a bit of advice I've posted several times before. The only way to insure long, heavy air rifles arrive intact is to OVER-PACKAGE to the point it is virtually impossible for package-handling apes to destroy the contents, and insure the package for enough value to replace the contents ANYWAY. Also might not be a bad idea to insure the contents for enough replacement value to include untold hours of your time and aggravation dealing with a UPS, FedEx or USPS damage claim!

The RP may be a short-lived offering simply because of its shipping-case shortcomings.

"package-handling apes" 🤣

• Haha