Kalibrgun Cricket .22 - 12 FPE Tune?

Hey folks,

Looking to see if anyone has set up a Kalibrgun Cricket to shoot in the 12-15 ft-lb range. What was your recipe for success? Did you need to modify any of the OEM components?

Just wondering what sort of magic the UK importers work to set things up for their crowd. I have heard of shot counts in excess of 150-200 from a 200 bar fill, and not having to lug the tank to the range sounds like a good deal! 

I contacted Kalibrgun to see what they do to set things up for 16 Joule guns, and all I could get was "back out the hammer spring."

I have run some tests reducing hammer spring tension, and reducing regulator plenum volume by 11.5cc's, but those didn't net the gains I had hoped for.

Looks like reducing the reg pressure is next (I have a reg tester). Any words of wisdom from folks who have attempted a low power Cricket tune prior to this?

Thanks!

Different hammer spring of a lower spring rate set up at a length to have minimal free flight.

Regulator turned down

Smaller plenum volume ( Can't change length so a thicker wall spacing tube )

Transfer passage liner of an @ .125" I.D. spec ( Straw sort of reducer )

This NOT a tune per-say, but a SET UP CONFIGURATION Change that will make the gun shoot and have low ES values as if designed that way from the factory.

JMO ....

Scott S

@zx10wall, @Motorhead Thanks for the feedback, this is the exact type of info I was hoping for! I've been researching, but wanted to see what those in the know had to say before sending a bunch of pellets down range. I have a few hammer springs to try, and I'll use those after reducing the regulator pressure. If I get decent results, I'll document them here so that others may benefit!

Hey folks,

To any who may be interested, I was able to more-or-less hit my target of 12-15 FPE. Was hoping for right around 11-12FPE, but ended up at 13.8-15.4 FPE depending on pellet. Details are as follows:

• Equipment: Kalibrgun Cricket Compact .22 (250cc reservoir, ~15" barrel, ~17cc OEM plenum volume - found via this forum). Shooting at 880 FPS with JSB 18.1s (31FPE) from the factory.

• Goal: ~12-15 FPE w/ high shot count (150-200 from 200 BAR fill), no permanent modification of OEM components

• Result: 15.4 FPE w/ JSB 15.9 grain pellets, shot count of 150+ from 200 BAR fill, greatly reduced muzzle report
    • Settings:
      • Plenum Volume: Reduced to ~5.4cc via Delrin spacer fitted to interior of plenum spacer tube. Dimensions: 1" OD x .930" height cylinder, giving ~11.6cc reduction. Used 1" OD Delrin stock from McMaster Carr
      • Regulator Set Point: Reduced to 65 BAR, OEM Regulator
      • Valve Return Spring: OEM, set to 2 turns clockwise (CW) after adjuster makes first contact with spring end.
      • Hammer Spring: Lee Spring part number P6-LC042E16M with .125" preload spacer, OEM hammer spring adjuster, set to 1 turn CW from flush with receiver.
        • Spring dimensions: 2.00" Length, .360" OD, .042" wire diameter, 13 active coils, closed and ground ends
      • Transfer Port: OEM Configuration
    • Crosman Premier 14.3 grain pellets yielded 13.8 FPE with a 12-15 fps extreme spread (660 FPS average)
    • JSB 15.9 grain pellets yielded 15.4 FPE, with the velocity remaining around 660 FPS average.

• Closing Thoughts/Further Experimentation
    • Reducing regulator set point and hammer spring tension produced the most dramatic effect on power output. Reduced plenum volume was still able to output 25+ FPE with a 110 BAR regulator set point
    • Increasing valve return spring tension with a more powerful spring may balance the interaction with the hammer spring, further reducing power, and decreasing extreme spread. For now, I will enjoy my 150+ shots, 200 BAR fills, and greatly reduced report!

Thanks for reading, and I hope this helps a few folks out!