• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Just weighed a new tin of the original style CPHP Crosmans

Edit:

After wasting all that time sorting, I most definitely will not be sorting any pellets in the future by weight or head size, unless I go down the competition rabbit hole, which is unlikely with no pellet shooting venues within 350 miles of me. Now that both of my 22 cal PCP guns are broken in, they produce a ragged hole 10 shot group at 50 ft from a rest - The Factor RC with unsorted CPHP pellets and the Prod with Meisterkugeln, with a flier every now and then about 1/2" out that I can live with. No fliers so far out of my Factor RC with the JSB Heavy Jumbos, though I have not shot a full tin yet, and they usually produce 5 shot groups at 50 ft from a solid rest that are slightly larger than a single pellet hole, unless I get lazy with my technique.

Original Post Follows.....

While watching YouTube today, out of curiosity, I just weighed a new 500 count tin of CPHPs that are marked "Made in USA", not the new supposedly poorer quality ones showing up at Walmart. The weight range shown is about +/- 0.05 grains.

9 out of 500 were 14.2 grains or less.
212 weighed 14.3 grs
241 weighed 14.4 grs
35 weighed 14.5 grs and heavier. Out of those 35, 3 weighed 14.7+ grs

I have no idea how these numbers compare to other brands / types as I usually don't weigh my pellets, though I do plan on sorting by head size in the future for longer range shooting, to try to get rid of some of the fliers that are actually not all that common with the CPHP in my 2 guns that like them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sqwirl57
When reading this, keep in mind that I am new to PCP guns and have never sorted ammo previously either by weight or head size.

I test fired the sorted pellets this morning and there was a slight shift in POI at 50 feet indoors between them - see photos. I fired two 5 shot groups from each lot out of my Hatsan Factor RC shot from a tripod rest which is a bit wobbly. I know I can cut these group sizes down a bit from a solid rest, but for indoor testing I need to build a bench rest that is high enough to shoot across the furniture in the two rooms I am shooting through into the garage!

CPHP test group 14.4 and 14.3 gr sort aug 22 - Copy.jpg

Not sure what to think of the first group from the 14.4 gr sorting. I might have had the rifle canted to one side but was not aware of it. The 14.4 gr sort does seem to have the most POI shift of the bunch.

CPHP test group 14.2 and 14.5 gr sort aug 22 - Copy.jpg

I recently read some posts where the authors stated that weight was not as important as head size, so I will probably be getting the tools to sort by head size later. I was surprised by how slight the difference in group size was between the sorted lots. I don't think I will bother weight sorting after this test with this lot of CPHPs unless I decide to start shooting at competition events. Some of my other brands of pellets have rather large weight variations, so sorting by weight might help, but I don't shoot them much since they cost more than these CPHPs and they don't shoot very well in my Factor out of the tins like some others do. The only other pellets I have tested out of a dozen+ types I have on hand that shoot as well as the CPHP are the JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13 gr and some H&N 30 grain HP slugs. I weighed some JSB Jumbo Heavy this morning and found a variation from 17.9 to 18.3 grains which is pretty close to the CPHPs which ran 14.2 to 14.7 grains.

Last edited:
Has anyone else found this.?
Some of the CPHP pellets are undersized enough to fall right through magazines when loading.
Others fit properly
These are CPHP pellets recently bought on Amazon

No issues in the same magazine with other 22 cal pellets

Are you talking about the pellet falling through the first loading hole? The only magazines I have are for the Marauder and the Hatsan. They both have spring tension on the first round once you let loose of the spring loaded rotating part, plus the clear rotating cover on the back. Those mags hold every pellet well that I have tried in them. On my Diana 54, most pellets I shot through it would fall back out of the chamber when opening the barrel with a pellet in it.

Besides the weight variation on the tins that i have checked the head diameter varies as much as .005'',i got no use for them.

I know nothing about sorting by head diameter but plan on learning about it soon. At first glance that number seemed mighty tiny, but I have no clue at this point what one would want in head diameter variation. My only tin of JSB Jumbo Heavys has more than 0.005" variation in head diameter and they shoot really well out of my Factor RC. My lot of H&N slugs varies only 0.002" for the dozen I just measured and only two of them were 0.001 larger than the other 10 which were the same diameter as marked on the package down to 3 decimal places.

Last edited:
I weighed a 500 count ton of JSB 15.89 several years ago. That was the first and last time for me. For me, it wasn’t worth it, for the time it took. I used them to shoot ground squirrels at my permission. Shooting the different weights didn’t seem to make any difference. YMMV

Well before the halfway mark on weighing this tin of 500, I was pretty sure I would not be weighing much if at all in the future. That was solidified when I saw that very little was gained by it in accuracy for the CPHPs. The pellet types that I thought might benefit the most from weighing as they had a huge variation in weight, didn't seem to shoot that much better when I sorted a handful to test - still mediocre to poor accuracy.

Reactions: pdxFrank
I went to my Walmart in Pasadena TX. Yesterday and they had both. I bought all the old ones, but In my guns, they shoot the same. As far as pellets go, new or old 6 bucks for 500 is the best deal out there. JSB are getting too pricey when you shoot as much as me( 3 tins a week) being retired has its drawbacks!

When reading this, keep in mind that I am new to PCP guns and have never sorted ammo previously either by weight or head size.

I test fired the sorted pellets this morning and there was a slight shift in POI at 50 feet indoors between them - see photos. I fired two 5 shot groups from each lot out of my Hatsan Factor RC shot from a tripod rest which is a bit wobbly. I know I can cut these group sizes down a bit from a solid rest, but for indoor testing I need to build a bench rest that is high enough to shoot across the furniture in the two rooms I am shooting through into the garage!

View attachment 286091

Not sure what to think of the first group from the 14.4 gr sorting. I might have had the rifle canted to one side but was not aware of it. The 14.4 gr sort does seem to have the most POI shift of the bunch.

View attachment 286092

I recently read some posts where the authors stated that weight was not as important as head size, so I will probably be getting the tools to sort by head size later. I was surprised by how slight the difference in group size was between the sorted lots. I don't think I will bother weight sorting after this test with this lot of CPHPs unless I decide to start shooting at competition events. Some of my other brands of pellets have rather large weight variations, so sorting by weight might help, but I don't shoot them much since they cost more than these CPHPs and they don't shoot very well in my Factor out of the tins like some others do. The only other pellets I have tested out of a dozen+ types I have on hand that shoot as well as the CPHP are the JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13 gr and some H&N 30 grain HP slugs. I weighed some JSB Jumbo Heavy this morning and found a variation from 17.9 to 18.3 grains which is pretty close to the CPHPs which ran 14.2 to 14.7 grains.
"I know I can cut these group sizes down a bit from a solid rest, but for indoor testing I need to build a bench rest that is high enough to shoot across the furniture in the two rooms I am shooting through into the garage!" LOVE THIS . where their is a will .............a way.