• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Just to chew the cud?

Is there a space on this forum to be off topic and merely ruminate on the riff of your mind?

I appreciate that politics and region must be out of bounds - but a place to talk about your new found passion for moulded leatherwork or how awesome your latest home forged blade turned out?

Now and then I’m sure the conversations would turn toward ‘camping with a Huben’

It either exists (and I am an Idiot for not being able to find it - or ‘show me the way to the next whiskey bar’

Just a thought

Screenshot_20231111-175026_Chrome.jpg

Encore,
Thanks for asking and not just dropping it on us. Some will introduce hang-gliding, rocketry and hot-air ballooning to our air gun forum without so much as a how do you do. Nothing wrong with those hobbies, just that we come here for air gun conversation and appreciate staying on focus. WM

I have belonged to other forums that have a “lounge” area or some other name for non-forum conversation.
On one in particular it is one of the most used forums and it does not detract from the main topics.
We come here, we discuss air guns and we find we like people’s on line personality. It is only natural that we would want to chat with people we meet here about other interests.

Encore,
Thanks for asking and not just dropping it on us. Some will introduce hang-gliding, rocketry and hot-air ballooning to our air gun forum without so much as a how do you do. Nothing wrong with those hobbies, just that we come here for air gun conversation and appreciate staying on focus. WM
I agree totally. If they did have an off topic section I would hope we could turn off notifications for it (guess I have a bit of ocd at times as I hate seeing the red notification of new messages even of subsections i have little interest in)

Have you looked at other item specific forums ? like camping or leather ?
To be fair Mr Alepincher I was using hyperbole. I’m neither into wet forming leather nor have a forge (although I do enjoy wild camping as long as there are trees so I can use a hammock rather than sleeping on the ground). Just thought it would be nice to have a ‘chat over a beer’ section. Still, fair enough, not in the forum ethos. Fine by me.

One of the common traits of this hobby seems to be the age demographic (ahem, not spring chickens) and also a disproportionate number of disabled people who enjoy it. Many in those brackets have a restricted social life and would benefit from a fireside chat. That was all.

I agree totally. If they did have an off topic section I would hope we could turn off notifications for it (guess I have a bit of ocd at times as I hate seeing the red notification of new messages even of subsections i have little interest in)
Just a side note Sir, go into preferences and turn off notifications. Two clicks and you are there.

Not as far as I can see? T’was merely a gentle and polite enquiry.
Lol.. that's how it works here.. then for some it's quite ok , pretty much has to be air gun related threads. Not a big deal. I guess it helps ease moderation of things for the forum.. moderation here is pretty darn good and reasonable. But that air gun related is just a thing here ..

If I recall GTA had a board like your asking and I think they just had to take it down for getting out of hand ..

It's nice to chat up some off air gun topics to break the monotony or peak a like interest . I guess in the end ya cant really blame them to try to keep things air gun only here ( opinion)

To be fair Mr Alepincher I was using hyperbole. I’m neither into wet forming leather nor have a forge (although I do enjoy wild camping as long as there are trees so I can use a hammock rather than sleeping on the ground). Just thought it would be nice to have a ‘chat over a beer’ section. Still, fair enough, not in the forum ethos. Fine by me.

One of the common traits of this hobby seems to be the age demographic (ahem, not spring chickens) and also a disproportionate number of disabled people who enjoy it. Many in those brackets have a restricted social life and would benefit from a fireside chat. That was all.
Encore,
Won't disagree that older members, with associated physical issues, might be disproportionately represented here. Keep in mind this forum might be a refuge from television bombardment of an "active" lifestyle no longer available to them. While leather-working and knife making seem benign, base-jumping, sky diving, trail biking and scuba diving might prove less so. I'd say, let's keep it air gun related, other hobbies and the social side of things can be handled on other platforms. WM

Reactions: MysticalDragon
Encore,
Won't disagree that older members, with associated physical issues, might be disproportionately represented here. Keep in mind this forum might be a refuge from television bombardment of an "active" lifestyle no longer available to them. While leather-working and knife making seem benign, base-jumping, sky diving, trail biking and scuba diving might prove less so. I'd say, let's keep it air gun related, other hobbies and the social side of things can be handled on other platforms. WM
All of which is fine. Thank you for letting me hang out on here.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty