Just saw this catastrophic failure...thoughts?

Also poor design. O ring should be in bound like this.
1594246124_14626544635f0643ecb63206.06029205.jpg

Haha I had thought that too because the seal is dependent on over compressing that oring 

First of all, there are no "made in the U.S.A." filter cartridge housings that I'm aware of that can be purchased separately. The Alpha filter that Brancato retails for $400 is made in Italy by Coltri.

Second, I'm not an engineer but it just seems impractical to me that even in China it would be less expensive to weld aluminum into a cylinder instead of casting aluminum as a tube in molten form then machine it without seams. Aluminum is much more expensive to weld than it is to cast. I would like to know from the manufacturer if they weld these cylinders or cast them. Tuxing is the U.S. trade name used by Duge in China. They respond to inquiries. I intend to follow up if I can get a response.

Third, there was a similar claim on this forum by a member named James whose profile stated he was from "Navada, USA". He made a similar post several years ago but provided no follow up when questioned to detail his experience with a gold filter failure. I see that Airgun.Cal joined the forum last week. Cal, is this your filter? Can you provide more details of your experience so we can avoid any serious injuries from these filters?

Fourth, it just seems odd that a pressure failure would cause a to split completely in half. Once there is a pressure release it seems strange that the filter would break clean in two halves down it's entire length. I would expect the two halves to be lodged in opposite walls. Even a hand grenade doesn't explode this neatly.

More facts, please. The many owners of gold filters would like to know more.

1594247592_3892637755f0649a8b691a0.54478101.jpeg

Here is the review in total. The date it was posted was March 15th, 2020, so it couldn’t have been the James you are referring to. So I guess that is two catastrophic failures potentially? 

I would like to know too since everyone is referring this brand as the go to. But I wouldn’t expect a Chinese company to cough up and admit they have had some mini grenades go off.

1594216351_11222471165f05cf9f60f3c7.97438342.jpeg
1594216351_16529571665f05cf9f860531.97546675.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07KQVC5SZ/ref=cm_cr_othr_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8#cm_cr_carousel_images_section

Looking at the user reviews based on a lot of the member feedback here and saw this catastrophic failure that recently occurred. If it is indeed seemed, that is a big no no. Thoughts guys?

I'm calling this out to be bogus. The unit pictured appears to be cut and pried apart. I suspect that this was staged by a competitor that is losing business because his own product can't compete on price. These things are definitely not seamed. Look at the supposed seamed edge, do you really think that that edge was just butted together with some sort of adhesive? It would be impossible to conceal a joint like that. Don't believe everything that you read, folks. 

1594216351_11222471165f05cf9f60f3c7.97438342.jpeg
1594216351_16529571665f05cf9f860531.97546675.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07KQVC5SZ/ref=cm_cr_othr_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8#cm_cr_carousel_images_section

Looking at the user reviews based on a lot of the member feedback here and saw this catastrophic failure that recently occurred. If it is indeed seemed, that is a big no no. Thoughts guys?

I'm calling this out to be bogus. The unit pictured appears to be cut and pried apart. I suspect that this was staged by a competitor that is losing business because his own product can't compete on price. These things are definitely not seamed. Look at the supposed seamed edge, do you really think that that edge was just butted together with some sort of adhesive? It would be impossible to conceal a joint like that. Don't believe everything that you read, folks.

Could definitely be bogus. I thought the same thing about a competitor. The seam is pretty torn though. Another possibility is the guy doesn’t realize how hard it is to seam aluminum, and that a stress fracture along the length of it blew open, and after he cut it on the opposing side and called the crack a “seam” when it was a fracture to begin with and nothing to do with a seam. Combine that with someone else named James complaining a year ago, makes me rethink this purchase. Does anyone know what James post is referenced above?

Thanks

First of all, there are no "made in the U.S.A." filter cartridge housings that I'm aware of that can be purchased separately. The Alpha filter that Brancato retails for $400 is made in Italy by Coltri.

Second, I'm not an engineer but it just seems impractical to me that even in China it would be less expensive to weld aluminum into a cylinder instead of casting aluminum as a tube in molten form then machine it without seams. Aluminum is much more expensive to weld than it is to cast. I would like to know from the manufacturer if they weld these cylinders or cast them. Tuxing is the U.S. trade name used by Duge in China. They respond to inquiries. I intend to follow up if I can get a response.

Third, there was a similar claim on this forum by a member named James whose profile stated he was from "Navada, USA". He made a similar post several years ago but provided no follow up when questioned to detail his experience with a gold filter failure. I see that Airgun.Cal joined the forum last week. Cal, is this your filter? Can you provide more details of your experience so we can avoid any serious injuries from these filters?

Fourth, it just seems odd that a pressure failure would cause a to split completely in half. Once there is a pressure release it seems strange that the filter would break clean in two halves down it's entire length. I would expect the two halves to be lodged in opposite walls. Even a hand grenade doesn't explode this neatly.

@Humdinger

...I searched around for your claim about a guy named James, and found that you’ve mentioned it a couple times and you also had this interaction, with this username, and it appears the member is still active here. I searched his threads but didn’t see that specific post on any of his threads. Can you direct me if you have the original post? Thanks.

1594268500_14646659265f069b54d3d6a6.71113898.jpeg
1594268501_7107360125f069b551190b5.99122861.jpeg
1594268501_15087816815f069b55338396.80788363.jpeg

@Humdinger I finally found your conversation you referred to earlier, and the member that you mentioned is still active so I am going to PM him and invite him here. So that would be 2 cases now of the same catastrophic failure, based on what his post and this review are saying. Attached is the screen shot of his username and original post, as well as a link of that interaction: 

1594269266_3643942815f069e52533fb7.54718735.jpeg
1594269266_1224098445f069e5276d6f7.16694877.jpeg

PS looks like his name is John, and I have already invited him here...He is active recently so with any luck he will come over.

PS looks like his name is John, and I have already invited him here...He is active recently so with any luck he will come over.

I remember seeing this thread before and the guy did not provide any photos of his blown-up gold filter despite asked by respondents.

I am definitely no expert on the subject but my understanding is that seamed pipes typically have relatively thin wall. Can think-wall aluminium pipes such as those used for making the gold filter be made with the same process ?

Hmmm then only thing that I can think of is that there must have been some kind of obstruction to build enough pressure to get them to blow up like that. Maybe a dead head at the end just to see how much pressure the compressor can actually build up and used the filter as a pressure test vessel. IDK....

Based on the thickness it couldn’t be seamed and polished that well on the inside. So the claim of seamed is out the window. Therefore, it would have to be a fracture and the guy on the amazon review doesn’t know how to identify the root cause/doesn’t know how to identify a seamed pipe ...perhaps some hygroscopic agent caused some deterioration in the aluminum’s integrity and a small fracture formed over a couple fills, ending with a sudden pop. Idk. Hopefully this John guy will come over and give us some details, as his experience looks similar to this amazon review but given the dates of this review it looks as though this is two different cases from the outside. 

Hello guys after what happened to me and I shared my experience with everyone I had a lot of guys saying I was not telling the truth of what happened I still don't understand why I would make it up but ok?

I would have absolutely no reason to make something like this up I had a family emergency and had to fly out of town a day or so later after this post. But what happened to me was I got a tuxing but looking back it was gold and said tuxing on it but it did not look like the ones in this photo? mine was much thinner still 6061 aluminum but my cap threads was not very good or deep. 

It broke at the end cap it sounded like a gun shot and a peace went through my drywall. I will never use Chinese high-pressure parts again after my experience when I got back home after my family emergency I trashed the filter. I just did not want to debate exactly like what's happening now they are a lot of guys who Love this Chinese filter and I was not wanting a argument over it I spend thousands of dollars on my air guns and I just did not think taking a short cut with moisture and rust was a good idea after this experience I learned a lot about filters.

I now use the Omaga filter it does a way better job it is tried and true I did not want to come on and start up with this group on if it was true or not but this group who obviously loves the Chinese knock off's. but yes it happened to me as well and I also seen similar things happen to a few more people once was enough for me.

I also have the same few guys and a lot of guys who also swears by the young hang compressor I had 2 and both was crappy but again I posted my experience and guys went crazy saying it's the best compressor and they have no problems at all what ever?? I don't like keeping buckets of ice and heat gages to see how hot it's getting not my cup of tea. but again the top half of my young hang blow apart it stayed together but air exploded out scared me half to death. The 2nd one would fill for 3 min and over heat so bad it would burn you even with ice water. Life is to short to go through this much work just to fill a tank or gun.

i can well afford a nice compressor and filter I don't need to take any chances on my airguns or my life over cheap Chinese crap. I got this compressors and filters when I was just starting into airguns but it was not long before I realized this is not the way to go I spend thousands on scope guns and why take a short cut on the most important part the air.

Also guys am a contractor who owns my own business I travel a lot I went to Japan and China on work and some play I Went to a few factories that makes roofing and building products to see the difference I did not go to tuxing co. As for where I live I have a home in 3 states so This is not a case of you said you live in Nevada but now you are in Arizona but now Maryland??? I work for the government on embassies so I travel a lot for work. It's not a fake account it's my life. 😂😂😂 

My take on this whole situation is that both gold filter failure claims are bogus. When the original post was made the claimant's profile description said he was from Navada (sic). Then he was from Maryland but traveled to China to see the factory where these housings were made. Now his profile lists him as in Arizona. This is between 2018-20. He never provided any photographic or other evidence to back his claim. When challenged he went zero dark thirty. His numerous grammatical errors, misspellings, and words used out of context undermined his expertise a credible source for me. 

The second review on Amazon doesn't list a name at all, just "Amazon buyer". The seam failure claim is ludicrous. The failure appears to be intentional and the housing appears to be manually broken. Neither claim holds up to the light of inquiry.

Airgun.cal, if you personally examine one of these cylinders you would see that they are extremely well made and have no seams. Don't buy one if you are unconvinced. It's a free country. There are literally thousands of these in the hands of compressor owners. My feeling is that both posts were fakes that were motivated to send buyers in the direction of competitors.

I'm not enthusiastic about Chinese compressors with the exception of the Alpha Carette. I've owned gold filters and carbon fiber tanks made in China, as well as many Chinese manufactured hoses and fittings.Some are decent, some are junk. I've read about compressor breakdowns and parts failures but no catastrophic failures that caused injuries. These are the only two filter housing failure posts. I believe are both fake news. Neither of them "blue" up.

@humdinger 

my miss spelling and where I live has absolutely nothing to do with the fact. If you have a problem with me then fine but don't try and discredit who I am and where I live. 

I am very well known on AGN I sale a lot of stuff and most of the members all say am a A+ seller I am very trustworthy and truthful just read my reviews as proof that you love to say is fake. You are a very dodgy guy you use a fake name and you are from any town USA. What are you hiding?? Talk about fake? 

i say where I live and I say my name so I guess to you that's not real!! how can someone have that many homes or travel? Like I do. No humdinger am real very real and I am known in the airgun Community. But if want to bash my spelling and where I own my homes that's a personal pick on me. Not the fact of a faulty air filter. Don't ever try and discredit who I am by your ignorance. just because your gold filter is not perfect you get upset? Well the facts is it's not perfect and yes it's not even a good filter it's better then nothing but it's not good at all there is much better on the market for just a little more money. You should get a job for tuxing you might get a free cotton pack to put on yours. 

you need to get a life and stop calling out anyone who disagrees with the quality of the gold tuxing Chinese 💩 I wonder if you do work for them or put up fake 5 star reviews for them it's not normal to go as far as you go for something so cheap and does a crappy Job. Maybe even be hurt using it like most guys who say be carful mine broke apart at high pressure. Your truly a huge fan of it congratulations on you love for tuxing. 

Humdinger The picture of that filter that I posted (NOT THE ONE POSTED BLOWN UP !!!) was actually bought from you it had the beads & charcoal wrapped in a thin plastic sheet lol I got it from another member . Going to send you a P.M. later . After looking at the filter inside & out it is as you claim very well built .I plan on using it , as far as the o-ring placement it seems that all these brands or should I say types of filters are in the same place .I haven't seen one with the o-ring on the end of the threads as someone has mentioned but would like to know that brand .No pissing matchs please just would like to see what others are using .

Hello guys after what happened to me and I shared my experience with everyone I had a lot of guys saying I was not telling the truth of what happened I still don't understand why I would make it up but ok?

I would have absolutely no reason to make something like this up I had a family emergency and had to fly out of town a day or so later after this post. But what happened to me was I got a tuxing but looking back it was gold and said tuxing on it but it did not look like the ones in this photo? mine was much thinner still 6061 aluminum but my cap threads was not very good or deep. 

It broke at the end cap it sounded like a gun shot and a peace went through my drywall. I will never use Chinese high-pressure parts again after my experience when I got back home after my family emergency I trashed the filter. I just did not want to debate exactly like what's happening now they are a lot of guys who Love this Chinese filter and I was not wanting a argument over it I spend thousands of dollars on my air guns and I just did not think taking a short cut with moisture and rust was a good idea after this experience I learned a lot about filters.

I now use the Omaga filter it does a way better job it is tried and true I did not want to come on and start up with this group on if it was true or not but this group who obviously loves the Chinese knock off's. but yes it happened to me as well and I also seen similar things happen to a few more people once was enough for me.

I also have the same few guys and a lot of guys who also swears by the young hang compressor I had 2 and both was crappy but again I posted my experience and guys went crazy saying it's the best compressor and they have no problems at all what ever?? I don't like keeping buckets of ice and heat gages to see how hot it's getting not my cup of tea. but again the top half of my young hang blow apart it stayed together but air exploded out scared me half to death. The 2nd one would fill for 3 min and over heat so bad it would burn you even with ice water. Life is to short to go through this much work just to fill a tank or gun.

i can well afford a nice compressor and filter I don't need to take any chances on my airguns or my life over cheap Chinese crap. I got this compressors and filters when I was just starting into airguns but it was not long before I realized this is not the way to go I spend thousands on scope guns and why take a short cut on the most important part the air.

Also guys am a contractor who owns my own business I travel a lot I went to Japan and China on work and some play I Went to a few factories that makes roofing and building products to see the difference I did not go to tuxing co. As for where I live I have a home in 3 states so This is not a case of you said you live in Nevada but now you are in Arizona but now Maryland??? I work for the government on embassies so I travel a lot for work. It's not a fake account it's my life.
1f602.svg
1f602.svg
1f602.svg

Thanks so much for your input. I will be buying the Omega, and again thank you so much for getting over to this thread.

+1 and thank you!

Humdinger The picture of that filter that I posted (NOT THE ONE POSTED BLOWN UP !!!) was actually bought from you it had the beads & charcoal wrapped in a thin plastic sheet lol I got it from another member . Going to send you a P.M. later . After looking at the filter inside & out it is as you claim very well built .I plan on using it , as far as the o-ring placement it seems that all these brands or should I say types of filters are in the same place .I haven't seen one with the o-ring on the end of the threads as someone has mentioned but would like to know that brand .No pissing matchs please just would like to see what others are using .

Agreed. Based on the picture you posted above, there is no way that it has a seam on it so that amazon review was false about the seam. My idea is maybe a fracture occurred on one side, and then the other side the reviewer cut open based on the straight edge.

@Humdinger, based on the images @Kayaker shared I would trust that specific filter easily, as I can see how thick that wall is. I think you are on to something with something being off about this whole thing, most probably, a counterfeit product. 

Based on the 2,000 or so units on this site, and 2 failures, that is a very very low failure rate. The ones that did fail could have been knock off brands, as John alluded to the belief that his was different than the one posted above, so maybe two things can be true at once: the gold filters are well built and there are counterfeits that fail. Either way, as mentioned above, it is a free country and if you don’t like the idea of a failure it is probably better to go to ExpertHPA or with a brand name like Omega. I will probably go with an Omega myself now, especially since I have no objective metric to know whether or not a gold filter that I receive is authentic, and I do not want to mess around with pressure when it costs, as John says, only a little more to buy something better. 

Just my 2 cents but John doesn’t have a reason to lie. I also looked at his profile extensively, and he is a pretty trusted seller. The Omega is made in Korea, and I doubt he is working on Omega’s behalf in some cooperate espionage/conspiracy...kind of a silly accusation if you ask me. Your original post on this thread pointed at me as though I was John, when I clearly stated in my original post that I merely came across the review and images while shopping for a gold filter and asking for everyone’s input. If someone sees something or says something contrary to your experience they don’t automatically have to be part of a larger conspiracy. John was good enough to come over and reply to the thread about his experience, and if his post doesn’t persuade you that is totally fine, but coming up with a grand conspiracy is silly, especially since he hasn’t constantly mentioned it but rather only by request for comment.

Lastly, the Amazon review process is extremely frustrating. Based on people’s feed back, and especially the images and wall thickness @Kayaker supplied (thank you by the way), I think that there are counterfeit products out there being marketed as the brand name, as the one in the Amazon review looks to me as though the wall is much thinner. Anyone else feel that way? But because the review is anonymous it does beg some questions as Humdinger rightfully pointed out. The review date, however, and the fact that it is a “verified purchase” means that the item sold on that page was purchased, but whether nor not it is a counterfeit I guess nobody will know. I highly doubt there is a grand conspiracy though, especially given that we have only 1 review on Amazon and the experience John gave here.

PS: I did only find out about John’s experience from you @humdinger, otherwise I wouldn’t have known about that, so thanks for remembering it. I’ll call AOA or ExpertHPA and find something more worthy.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone’s input, so thanks @Kayaker, @Humdinger and @Jld1969 for all your help. @Yo, I didn’t forget you either :) 

Last thing, if anyone does get ahold of Tuxing as mentioned above, please let us know what they say. If there are counterfeits or failures, I am sure they know about them.

First, there are no "made in the U.S.A." filter cartridge housings that I'm aware of that can be purchased separately. The Alpha filter that Brancato retails for $400 is made in Italy by Coltri.

I believe this may be price competitive to the Tuxing and Nuvair could be contacted for country of origin:

https://www.nuvair.com/personal-filter-din.html

Edit: I have no affiliation with Nuvair nor have I used the filter depicted in the link above, I trust my compressor's condensate tower to work as designed.

What sucks is that both e-bay and Amazon are loaded with counterfeits. Sad truth really. Hell, look how Spyderco filed a lawsuit against e-bay a few years for selling counterfeits. I happen to be into radio controlled cars and I have come across some Vanquish RC Crawler parts on there that are clearly not the real deal. Those are USA made products however the listing clearly states that shipping is from Chi-Na. 

First, there are no "made in the U.S.A." filter cartridge housings that I'm aware of that can be purchased separately. The Alpha filter that Brancato retails for $400 is made in Italy by Coltri.

I believe this may be price competitive to the Tuxing and Nuvair could be contacted for country of origin:

https://www.nuvair.com/personal-filter-din.html

Edit: I have no affiliation with Nuvair nor have I used the filter depicted in the link above, I trust my compressor's condensate tower to work as designed.

This is the Coltri filter housing made in Italy. Nice housing and appears to be the same filter body with added features sold by Brancato as an Alpha filter. The Alpha costs more but adds a PMV, pressure gauge, and hose extension which makes it a better product. The latest Tuxings with repack able cartridges are excellent filters for their modest price. I used one as a final filter on a Daystate LC-110 and was very satisfied with its performance.

Guys, I am an M.E. and responsible for failure analysis of castings at work. From the picture, I cannot really tell the failure mode, but looks like a bad casting "failure" or could be a stress point from thread machining of a bad casting. I have a Tuxing Oil/Water separator myself so I am definitely going to look at my unit very carefully. Most high pressure failure modes is due to hoop stress created by a stress raiser. If these tubes are cast as someone pointed out and the aluminum is of low quality and not made to ASTM/ASME Pressure Vessel Code ( I doubt it very much) most likely it failed due to a bad casting. I would be of the opinion that these Tuxing units are machined from solid Aluminum stock rather than a casting but coming from China, anything is possible. This has me worried now!