Just saw this catastrophic failure...thoughts?

1594216351_11222471165f05cf9f60f3c7.97438342.jpeg
1594216351_16529571665f05cf9f860531.97546675.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07KQVC5SZ/ref=cm_cr_othr_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8#cm_cr_carousel_images_section

Looking at the user reviews on Amazon based on a lot of positive member feedback here and saw this catastrophic failure that recently occurred. If it is indeed seamed, that is a big no no. Thoughts guys?

*******UPDATE, thanks to @kayaker and the images he provided there are some discrepancies between the Amazon review and the product. Also, there is no apparent seam as the reviewer claimed on @kayaker’s product. Thanks to @humdinger I came across another account of catastrophic failure of one of these units, but again there is high probability of a counterfeit product based on @Jld1969’s account of his experience on page 2. I would without judgement unless more persuasive evidence comes out. 

From my perspective it’s not just an issue of “Buy American”. Nothing wrong with that, but I love my (Swedish) FX Airguns! The real issue is that, even in China, you often get exactly what you pay for. If all we are doing is chasing the lowest price, then we will end up only buying Chinese stuff, and we will get what we paid for, including stuff like the OP shows above. There are many Chinese companies that make high quality stuff (iPhone anyone?), but you aren’t going to buy it on the internet for a few pennies.

The question is, is it a real Tuxing Gold Filter or a counterfeit knock-off being sold by some unscrupulous shister? With so many look-a-likes and knock-offs, you gotta wonder if you ever get exactly what you think you are paying for... Especially if it's coming from China!

I agree, but then the problem is how do you verify the authenticity, especially since my understanding is that all the various gold filters are produced at the same factory in China. Also, if they are seamed (I don’t have one to verify myself), then the structural integrity of each unit is not objectively measurable, but rather case by case depending on the bond. Maybe someone or a few people can check to see if their gold filters are seamed?! Kind of a huge deal if they are.

The question is, is it a real Tuxing Gold Filter or a counterfeit knock-off being sold by some unscrupulous shister? With so many look-a-likes and knock-offs, you gotta wonder if you ever get exactly what you think you are paying for... Especially if it's coming from China!

I agree, but then the problem is how do you verify the authenticity, especially since my understanding is that all the various gold filters are produced at the same factory in China. Also, if they are seamed (I don’t have one to verify myself), then the structural integrity of each unit is not objectively measurable, but rather case by case depending on the bond. Maybe someone or a few people can check to see if their gold filters are seamed?! Kind of a huge deal if they are.

Airgun.cal good thought but they are anodized aluminum . One would have to sand very lightly to remove the anodize to tell, not sure of anything else that would remove the finish to reveal the looks of the tubing . I believe most people wouldn't know what to look for JMO

Seamed vs. Seamless / ERW vs. DOM

They both have their places, and seamed / ERW style tubing has No place in high pressure applications. 
This sort of thing is exactly why. I always check and double check hpa components / systems. Just to be on the safe[r] side.

I've seen these same types of 'seam failures' when in the custom auto / cycle industry..
[Much less uniform / structural integrity and usually only used to cut corners / prices]

Sam -

PS: "American" people/companies do it too, so, it doesn't matter when geographic location comes into play.. 
It just has to do with being sketchy. Period.

Airgun.cal good thought but they are anodized aluminum . One would have to sand very lightly to remove the anodize to tell, not sure of anything else that would remove the finish to reveal the looks of the tubing . I believe most people wouldn't know what to look for JMO

I was thinking of if someone looked in the inside. You can usually see a small defection in the plane/symmetry where the seam is, but you would have to use a flashlight.

BUY AMERICAN !!!

Yeah!

No Apollo capsules failed neither did any of the space shuttles right?

And never ever did the 737 MAX fail and steer into the ground?

I think his point is that you can determine the quality better than an aliexpress item, which is true of the higher end alpha and so on filters from Italy. Even the Omega filter at AOA from Korea (if I am not mistaken) is bound to be better built. Also, we don’t go on the Apollo or a 747 everyday, but I do shoot everyday, so it would be nice to trust the equipment you are using much more frequently than your next space flight to the moon lol. 

First, there are no "made in the U.S.A." filter cartridge housings that I'm aware of that can be purchased separately. The Alpha filter that Brancato retails for $400 is made in Italy by Coltri.

Second, it just seems impractical and costs more to weld aluminum tubes with seams than to cast molten aluminum into cylinder shapes and I highly doubt that any filter housings are made that way. Welding Aluminum is much more expensive than it is to cast. I would like to hear from the manufacturer if they weld these cylinders I've owned both Xin Yong Shi and Tuxing and never have seen any interior seams. Tuxing is the U.S. trade name of Duge Manufacturing in China. They respond to inquiries. I intend to follow up after receiving a reply.

Third, there was a similar claim on this forum by a member named James whose profile stated he was from "Navada, USA". He made a post several years ago but provided no follow up when questioned to detail his experience with a gold filter failure. I see that Airgun.Cal joined the forum last week. Cal, is this your filter? Can you provide more details of your experience so we can avoid any serious injuries from these filters?

Fourth, it just seems odd that a pressure failure would cause a filter housing to split completely apart. Once there is a pressure release it seems implausable that the filter would break clean down it's entire length. In such a catastrophic failure the two halves should have been lodged in walls. Even a hand grenade doesn't explode this neatly.

More facts, please. The many owners of gold filters would like to know more.

No it isn’t my filter, I am looking to buy one and saw this review on amazon and thought I’d post it and get everyone’s thoughts. 

I think one side has been cut down the middle, opposite to where the reviewer says there is a seam. But again, since I am looking to buy one and don’t own one, I have no way of verifying his seam claim.

No, I am not some guy named James from a year ago. Maybe the review is his?