• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Just saw this catastrophic failure...thoughts?

JLD1969, I mentioned the topic you posted years ago as a reference to the only instance where someone claimed a catastrophic gold filter failure. At the time you made the post several of the forum members asked for photos or evidence to substantiate your experience. You provided no evidence and it appears that your original post has been deleted. If I was a manufacturer and my product was claimed to be dangerous I’d want to see evidence as would all of us who purchase it and rely on it’s safety. By coming forward again I am now convinced that you weren’t trying to undermine one brand as a ***** for another brand. My sincere apology for questioning your motivation or integrity.

You and I do agree regarding the lack of quality of most Chinese compressors. I will exclude the Alpha Carette from that list because it is a well made, quality unit.

I would ask anyone looking at filters to compare a gold filter to any other housing at any price side by side and draw their own conclusion. I still question the recent post on Amazon by the anonymous buyer as being there to undermine this brand by a competitor. Based on some of the posts in this thread, it seems to have had the desired effect. Too bad.

I posted an update to the OP/1st page so as to inform people that the item I found on Amazon could easily (and most likely) be a counterfeit product based on the images other members have provided of their gold filter. I think that both things are true: the filters often recommended here are probably very strong like “tanks” as most people have experienced, and also a possible counterfeit product has failed potentially. Since various gold filters are available on aliexpress, most notably the Tuxer brand, and nearly all of them have a good reputation, I would wager that these two cases above shouldn’t tarnish their reputation unless more evidence comes out.

Thanks again all.

The only thing that is counterfeit about the unit that is in question is the way it has been portrayed as faulty. There is no way that a pressure-related failure could cause that type of damage. There would be evidence of bursting and distortion around the initial failure. There are a few different brands of this type of unit on the market. Some of the earlier models have a coarser thread. Otherwise, they are all the same. I get the impression that you are looking for a filter to use with a handpump. This type of unit is not suited for that use for the simple reason that it is too large. It will take more effort to pre-pressurise the filter than it will, to top your gun up. When you bleed the fill hose, all that effort spent priming the filter will be lost and you will have to repeat the process every time you fill your gun. If you are looking for a high-pressure unit for your handpump, look for something much smaller. The same goes for direct gun filling with a small compressor. It is just not necessary for such a large filter for the small amount of air required. There are much more appropriate units available.

Thanks @Eaglebeak ... it would be for multiple fill sources but I forgot about the stupid handpump issue so thanks for reminding me. Perhaps I should buy a large and a small. I just got a MK4 from AOA for backpacking. It is actually pretty easy to pump, but I can see what you mean about pumping a million times and I hadn’t thought of it. +1

Glad you guys are so knowledgeable about filters...I haven’t needed to because I usually just fill it up at the gas shop or dive shop, but this is getting old.

Hello guys am not wanting to make enemies especially over a filter I never talked about this again till yesterday because I was asked to reply. Am sorry if I said or done anything to upset anyone I just was sharing my 1st filter and compressor as well. 

but am not a fan of any co. If it's good I tell my experience and so that's what happened mine never cracked in half like in photos that's questionable in my opinion but mine cracked at the nipple right where it threads into the gold tube that is where the pressure point broke it scares me to think that some guy could get seriously hurt so I posted my experience just as a heads up and check your own. 

but now let me say since then I have got a new compressor I no longer have my turbo Omaga I have a daystate and it come with a Omaga filter I guess Daystate don't make there own I'm not sure but that's what's on my compressor now it it works great. So my point is I don't work or sell for any brands I have sold and got all kinds of brands I just tell my experience with them. 

saying that I have owned five compressors in total first two was young hang. I did not like them at all my third was an omega turbo charger I absolutely loved that but it was problematic I was being sent into the shop for O-ring problems could not hold pressures. I thin sold that and got an omega trail charger because of its size I travel a lot it was way too slow and it also had pressure problems so I sold that one. Now I have the Daystate and it's amazing my only fault with it is it don't auto shut off. It fills to max 4.500 mine is set to 4,200 but I have to stand by if filling my airguns. But it's fast and love the look. 

Hello guys am not wanting to make enemies especially over a filter I never talked about this again till yesterday because I was asked to reply. Am sorry if I said or done anything to upset anyone I just was sharing my 1st filter and compressor as well. 

but am not a fan of any co. If it's good I tell my experience and so that's what happened mine never cracked in half like in photos that's questionable in my opinion but mine cracked at the nipple right where it threads into the gold tube that is where the pressure point broke it scares me to think that some guy could get seriously hurt so I posted my experience just as a heads up and check your own. 

but now let me say since then I have got a new compressor I no longer have my turbo Omaga I have a daystate and it come with a Omaga filter I guess Daystate don't make there own I'm not sure but that's what's on my compressor now it it works great. So my point is I don't work or sell for any brands I have sold and got all kinds of brands I just tell my experience with them. 

saying that I have owned five compressors in total first two was young hang. I did not like them at all my third was an omega turbo charger I absolutely loved that but it was problematic I was being sent into the shop for O-ring problems could not hold pressures. I thin sold that and got an omega trail charger because of its size I travel a lot it was way too slow and it also had pressure problems so I sold that one. Now I have the Daystate and it's amazing my only fault with it is it don't auto shut off. It fills to max 4.500 mine is set to 4,200 but I have to stand by if filling my airguns. But it's fast and love the look.

Well I definitely appreciate you coming over and sharing your experience, you didn’t have to, but it was really helpful for me. Thanks again! It sounds like your experience is radically different than that of the Amazon review above. Glad you are not hurt and found other compressors that are working better. Daystate huh? How much did that set you back? I’m looking for a compressor right now.