• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Just received; Athlon ARES BTR 4.5-27x50...

I just received a new scope, it's an Athlon ARES BTR 4.5-27X50, APLR3 Reticle, FFP, IR , Mil Turrets... It may find a permanent home on my FX Impact X Mk2... That space is currently occupied by a Hawke Compact SF 30, 6-24X50 IR, SFP... I'll share my honest opinions after getting it mounted and zeroed in... It looks like it's very well made... This is only the second FFP scope I own...

1567193894_18641147905d697b264be259.05670932_IMG_1294.JPG
1567193895_13261488085d697b275c2402.37606469_IMG_1295.JPG

Ken

Something stood out about the Athlon when comparing it to my Hawke, both are 50mm Objective, but the Athlon has a larger clear aperture... This will allow better light gathering capability which translates to a brighter image... I like the reticle, another forum member commented that it's "a little busy", I might agree with that, but I like it... More to come...

Ken

I received a mailer with the advertisement for the Athlon, at that price I could not pass it up either... Prior to ever getting that ad or purchasing it I read quite a few reviews, others had good things to say about it... About the only negative comment I read said the turrets were a little soft and mushy, I agree, they absolutely are... Someone followed up that comment with a tip to clean the grease out of the turrets... I'm not positive about how to do this, but I do prefer the positive clicks I feel with all of my Hawke scopes... I imagine it's not too difficult to clean these turrets up if that's the solution...

I'm just getting my Athlon ARES BTR mounted on my Impact, need to get it setup, I want to get to a range tomorrow...

Ken

Busy???, those .2's are there for a reason, so when holding over or off one can plainly realize where 1 click/or .1 mil is at in the reticle!

This is one of the best mil reticles in the scope world "regardless of price". We are darn fortunate to have it in an affordable scope, and at this sale price it's a killer scope indeed.

Wish this APLR3 was in the Midas TAC line.

Ok, went to the range in Bristol, WI this morning to shoot with the gang at BAGA and dial in my new Athlon ARES BTR 4.5-27X50 scope, "love at first sight in" to steal a line from another member, I dialed it in at 50 yards and proceeded to stack pellets upon pellets, even took some pretty nifty shots between a stump and a tree (maybe 4-6" gap, approx. 15 yards in front of target) to do 6 for 6 on the knockdown squirrel at 50 yards with this scope and my Impact... They invited me back for Field Target Competition, nice bunch of gentlemen there...

Anyhoo, I am quite pleased with this scope... I like the reticle, I was able to start from a fresh mount and zero it in at 50 yards with about 12 rounds (took me a second to find my group on the shot up backboard), spent a few hours shooting groups and just putting some pellets through my impact... I like this combo, a lot... Next time I do something like this, I will take some photos and post them...

Ken

One other thing I should mention about the Athlon ARES BTR that I was able to do today: After zeroing the scope at 50 yards I pulled back and shot several shots at some 30 yard and 35 yard knockdowns targets, ranging was spot on as the range had markers every 5 yards, no change in elevation or windage and holding dead on, never missed the knock down targets, I believe the RO said they had 5/8" holes for the trip... I didn't shoot any farther than the 50 yards this morning... Next time...

Ken

Are they going to discontinue this scope? How in the heck, can they sell it for this price. I really like mine, but would prefer a lighted dot for hunting. I have owned a few March scopes & glass in this is just as good to my eyes @ a fraction of the cost. I wish they had this same glass/scope with a L4 dot like Hawke Frontier. See the 2.5 -15 is only 400.00 , that is insane., 

Are they going to discontinue this scope? How in the heck, can they sell it for this price. I really like mine, but would prefer a lighted dot for hunting. I have owned a few March scopes & glass in this is just as good to my eyes @ a fraction of the cost. I wish they had this same glass/scope with a L4 dot like Hawke Frontier. See the 2.5 -15 is only 400.00 , that is insane.,

The Athlon ARES BTR has an illuminated reticle...

Ken

The Athlon ARES BTR has an illuminated reticle...

Ken

I know I have one. I just wished you could get it with a lighted dot, similar to Hawke Frontier with this reticule. Not the best for precision target shooting but the best reticule I have found for tree squirrels. I use my Frontier the most even though the glass in it is not quite as crisp as the Athlon. Of course most people would not like this dot. I love it. 

https://us.hawkeoptics.com/18420.html

Will the ARES BTR 4.5-27X50 focus below 25yds on a lower power setting? I had a SFP 4-20 a while back that wouldn't focus at all below 25, regardless of magnification. Curious if the ARES BTR 4.5-27X50 is usable at 15-20yrds at 10x (or below??)

If 15 mag is enough for you, this one will focus down to 10 .

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018816211?pid=812085