Just received an Altaros booster

Other HPA sources I've used were a Shoebox F10 (x4 or 5 years) and a Yong Heng (x7 months). Sold the F10 as a parts donor when I got frustrated trying to source replacement parts and the Yong Heng is still ticking just fine, with the caveat that the oil gets REALLY dark REALLY quick (impending doom?). So coming from that background......

I've been debating the acquisition of a bit more reliable compressor for a couple months. Slowly narrowed down the potentials until I arrived at the Altaros booster pump. And was only pushed that direction because a really good deal on a 20gallon California Air Tools (CAT) compressor popped up on local classifieds. The lady had bought it new and used it for one job, to run a paint sprayer to redo her kitchen cabinets. So, it appears to be very lightly used.

I ordered the Altaros last Monday night and it was delivered this Tuesday, so 8 days total, I ordered the non hybrid, non bottle-to-bottle version. Sheet metal box, it doesn't look like they offer the option of the plastic toolbox like they did in the past. It arrived very well packaged, having some memory foam inside the ends of the packaging. I was previously unaware but they supplied at least a partial rebuild kit with just the purchase of the compressor. I also ordered two complete reseal kits and they were present as well. A nice little bound manual was also included.

The only assembly required was to thread the male fitting for the air supply into the side of the box.

Since I wanted the booster to have a permanent home I needed to rearrange my gun room a bit. That entailed extending a shelf and moving my bottles. I like the idea of having the bottles higher than the booster but the logistics of putting heavy bottles up a wall haven't yet been addressed, so bottle are on the ground for now. I drilled a hole through the shelf right under the bleed valve to make life a bit easier. (the shelf was made from wood I scavenged during the house remodel, just wanted to point out that I'm not responsible for the atrocious stain job)
PXL_20230406_132757941.jpg

The low pressure side of my set up has 3 bleed valves: bottom of the first stage compressor, output of the first stage compressor, and the one that came with the Altaros, right where the shop air enters the booster. 25 feet of low pressure line that goes up and around other junk in the gun room, basically from one corner to the other of the room. Altaros is about 5 feet off the ground, compressor is at ground level. On the first run last night (83 minutes) I got moisture from all three bleed valves, in descending qtys (largest amount came out from the blow out at the bottom of the first stage compressor tank). The first inch or so of the silica beads within the booster changed color slightly (orange = no moisture and dark green equals saturated, per manual). No moisture was found in the fittings on the high pressure side after all was said and done. Per NWS, the relative humidity during the fill averaged 40%, but that is of course outside. The booster lives inside a well-insulated room within my garage, so likely much lower humidity.
PXL_20230406_132831424.jpg

PXL_20230406_132715597.jpg

In that 83minutes, my big 60min Drager tank went from 3900-4500psi. That works out to an increase of about 72psi/10 minutes. For reference, the F10 would increase the pressure in this same tank by 100psi every 10minutes and the Yong Heng does the same 3900-4500 run in about 15 minutes (400psi/10minutes). So, Altaros is slowest of the three options I've used.

For about the first half of that 83 minutes I was playing with the CAT's regulator pressure and the Altaros flow adjustment to arrive at the desired run/rest ratio. It started out with a 2 min run time and a 4 minute rest (40/80). Bumped the CAT's output pressure from 90psi to 110 at that point and then fiddled with the flow restrictor to eventually get 4 min run, 4 minute rest for a very conservative 50/50. It appeared to fill faster after adjustment and I think I'll have something like 80-90psi/ten minutes now that I'm at the 50/50 run/rest times. Altaros recommends 60/40 but even at 50/50 I felt like the heads on the compressor were getting a bit warm. I'll take longer fill times if it increases the longevity of the CAT. I think 90-100psi/10 minutes would be pretty feasible if I was to push the first stage to 60/40 or even 70/30, which CAT lists as the duty cycle for this specific compressor.

I babysat the system the whole time last night, but now that I've got things set up I would feel comfortable not being right there with it. I loved that about the F10 and feel it is one of the biggest pros for the booster concept. Turn it on and go about my life, no need to hang out with eye protection and ear muffs, hoping you get out of the experience unmaimed (yes, that's how I feel about the Yong Heng). The Yonger hasn't given me any reason to fear it, but that 15minutes of fill time with the Yonger is high stress; loud, obnoxious, trying to contain it (mine's a migrater), monitoring temps (water and head temp on digital read out) requiring bleeds every couple minutes and constant monitoring to prevent overfills.

As for the first stage compressor....the F10 was happy with a 6gallon 2.6cfm @90psi pancake compressor, resting 6-8 minutes for every 2 or 3 minutes that it ran. BUT I wouldn't dare try that small of a compressor with the Altaros. This 20 gallon CAT is rated for 5.3cfm @ 90psi and I don't think I'd recommend going with anything less. Just like many before me have said, the bigger the shop compressor the better, when it comes to the Altaros.

I took a page out of @Roachcreek s book and directed a box fan at the CAT's heads because I wasn't comfortable with their heat. I don't think I'll be tethering 3 CATs though.

The only change I'm considering making is to add another container of dessicant on the low pressure side, right before it enters the booster.

Last edited:
I put a water separator followed by 3 dessicant filters on my low pressure side between the shop compressor and the booster. If I am filling from 3500 to 4500 I will get the first of those filters saturated and nothing past it. Have a big gold filter on the high pressure side and that combo has kept things pretty good so far. I kinda feel like if I blow up my shop compressor that it will be an excuse to buy a larger model.

Franklink --=--
I have a Craftsman 20 gallon, oilless shop compressor feeding the Box at 120PSI. That shop compressor only runs twice during my fill time from 3,800ish to 4,400 using a Great White (94CF?) tank. I don't cool it.
My fills at that rate take just over one hour with the F10 Box. I have never shut down either compressor while doing so and have a larger fan on the Box only, not the shop compressor as it only runs for about 2 minutes initially, then another 2 minutes during that fill time.
I too have a moisture trap on the shop, followed by a tri-filter (Milton 1071 1/2" Desiccant Dryer System), which I have only replaced media once since 2020. I always try to fill when the humidity is below 30%, but normally it's below 20% (East County San Diego) as I live in a dry clime.
I am very interested in the Altaros as you are aware with the Box parts issues getting worse. From my understanding, the Altaros does not get hot as it is a slow-mover and the way the piston moves, unless I have misread/understood the videos on their website? So, I'm not understanding the need to shut down during fills?
Please set me straight if you don't mind.
Mike

@Revoman,

You're asking for clarification for the shut down during fills....
If i'm understanding your question correctly.....when I mention run/rest ratios I probably should be using the "duty cycle" verbiage.

The run/rest ratio I mentioned was for the primary/shop compressor feeding the Altaros, not for the booster itself. In my first run with the Altaros last night it ran the entire 83 minutes. I also never shut down the shop compressor, but was toying with its regulated output pressure, as well as the flow adjustment within the Altaros to try to arrive at a happy medium of fill speed, versus appropriate run/rest ratios from the shop compressor.

Yes I agree and found the same, that the Shoebox booster uses very little of the first stage/shop compressor air. To the point that run/rest ratios are not a concern, even with a small pancake compressor. In contrast, the Altaros booster is an air thirsty beast. I've heard others mention that this is because the Shoebox has it's own motor driving the second and third stage pistons (the ones within the Shoebox). The Altaros does not have its own motor, instead relying on a large portion of the compressed air it is being fed (from the shop compressor) to run the booster. Because the shop compressor is doing so much more of the work in an Altaros set up than in a Shoebox setup, awareness and optimization of the run/rest ratios of the shop compressor need to occur, or it'll just burn itself to a crisp.

I also never had any issues with moisture in the Shoebox setup. I saw more moisture from the Altaros in the first run last night than I ever saw with the Shoebox. I think this can also be attributed to the greatly increased volumes of air that are being compressed in order to run the Altaros when compared to the Shoebox. More compressed air = more water production.

And you are correct that the Altaros unit does not get warm, in fact it felt cool to the touch in every place I could reach to feel. The only place heat is a concern is the primary stage/shop compressor. And again, that's b/c it has to work so much harder with an Altaros booster than it does with a Shoebox booster.

Reactions: Revoman
Congratulations on the new air supply. I've had the original 6 plus years w/out issue. Just use a "hotdog" (cheap) 4.5cfm @ 90psi set to 110psi then used the adjuster valve on the booster to get the on/off ratio right.
They do seem to last.

John
That's what I like to hear! I think I may have even stumbled across a comment from you sometime in the last couple years, stating basically the same.

You mention w/out issue. What sort of maintenance has it needed? Oring replacement etc?

"What sort of maintenance has it needed? Oring replacement etc?"

No dea how many hours but I do not shoot as much as I used to but I do fill another fellows tank also.. Topping a 60min scba from about 2,900psi to 4,500psi once a week in summer and 1 a month in Winter and it has has needed nothing.
No idea if it is recommended or not but I put about 5 drops of silicone oil (10w I believe) in the line just past the water filter once a year.

John

Reactions: Franklink
I was advised to add silicone oil also by Alraros when I enquirer about the 2nd stage

“Squeaking” when pressure exceeded 4000 psi.

Great to read about everyone’s experience with these excellent boosters.

My oil/water separator was leaking air, so I eventually just removed it as I have plenty of water filters and oilless drive/air supply.

Regards,

Roachcreek

IMG_0084.jpeg

I let the Altaros run this morning while I was shooting before work, nothing crazy, only needed to go from 4100-4500psi on the 60min SCBA.

I've read conflicting reports in old forum posts regarding whether high CFM or high reg pressure (from the shop compressor) influences fill times more when using the Altaros booster. With most shop compressors it seems the CFM and output pressure have an inverse relationship. So out of curiosity, I reduced the shop compressor's regulated output pressure down to 90-95. With the reg pressure up around 110psi I was getting an increase of about 72psi/10 minutes (going into the 60min SCBA). With the reg on the shop compressor set to 90-95 this morning I saw 80psi/10 minutes. So, it appears that with all the factors in my specific set-up, maximizing the shop compressor's CFM slightly reduces the fill times. Of course what effect that will have on shop compressor longevity is debatable since having it fill from 110 to 125 psi means it runs less each time, but has to do so more often, versus having it set to run from 90-125psi means it runs less often but has to run for longer.

Frank,

Looks like you have all the data to figure it out. One thing though - your assumption and the impact on life of the shop compressor is actually backwards, and once you frame that correctly the result is a no-brainer to keep running at the lower pressure . . .

You have to remember that when you are comparing run times (and loads) on the shop compressor that things are non-linear with respect to output (just as you noted, and proved by the better output of your booster on the lower pressure - which makes sense because the CFM x Pressure is the source of energy and the CFM is non-linear out of your shop compressor, as most do). So the reality is that if you run the system at the higher pressure level, the shop compressor will have to run LONGER at the higher pressure to generate the same air power energy for the booster as running it at the lower pressure. With that realization, I think you should just keep running it that way . . . for those that doubt this, you have to remember that most of these single stage shop compressors struggle at the higher end of pressure, simply generating more heat in the air charge that later cools off and is lost as entropy . . .

I bought the Altaros compressor booster unit ~6 years ago and use it with my 20 Gallon Horizontal Tank, Single Stage, 10.2 CFM, 3.7 HP, 1PH (Campbell Hausfeld VT6182). I only fill my pcp rifles, no tanks. It works very well still. I had one small issue a while back but was readily repaired with a part I already had in my shop. I can't complain at all and I will probably buy another one when this one conks out!

Reactions: Franklink and Sc0-