• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Just One More Thing...about handpumps

This will be a long one lads. Back to whether or not handpumps void your warranty or not.

Okay, I was an active member here until a recent debate got me to go offline and seek a resolution on the debate offline. The debate is naturally whether or not handpumps are generally bad for your rifle (the position I hold). A lot of people get triggered by me stating that for some reason, so let me state a few things before I give my reasoning, the debate, and some answers.

First off, I have a handpump. I have used a handpump in the past. I don’t have any ill will or judgement towards someone that uses one or anything like a condescending eye towards it. In fact, depending on the rifle I will recommend it if it is the right fit with your budget. Okay, now to the dirty dirty.

I currently use an inert gas, dry nitrogen, but when I don’t I use DIN EN 12021 quality. The reason for this is that I like to keep my guns in top shape, and handpumps do not do not. What do I mean by that statement?

Handpumps are problematic because with the friction and naturally the compression any moisture either gets condensed and left in the pump or is carried into the gun’s cylinder. This is problematic for several reasons. When you introduce moisture into your gun’s air reservoir it doesn’t just get shot out. Over time it collects. Over a year or so you can open your gun up and see something come out that looks like grey/white mayonnaise. This mayo stuff is essentially water and oil mixed together. Leave it still longer. It does compromise your tank and your rifle. Even if your tank is say aluminum you are shooting that stuff through your steel barrel, which does have an impact on the rifle’s performance.

Now let’s say you have the counter argument that, well heck, you buy an air filter. The problem is that even if you attach that bad boy to the output there is still moisture escaping that and plus you have no way of measuring that air or gas quality to the standard of DIN EN 1202 (especially since some times of the year are more humid than others. You can have your air quality I suppose checked by a business that evaluates air quality for scuba (usually they use an vacuumed container or water sensitive strips that tell how much H2O content there is). Nevertheless your H2O content would still be getting in the gun as the humidity increases/weather changes (unless that is you are able to test periodically which seems overboard as a concept and frankly silly).

Now the other argument for proponents of handpumps is that they also have an air compressor and that it also has a filter and that it also introduces moisture. And? That doesn’t fix the handpump issue. That is just another problem. The filter on either a handpump or a compressor will reduce but not eliminate, especially to the levels of DIN EN 12021 or the dry nitrogen I use. That is, unless you have evaluated your filter to work on whatever standard your manufacturer is requiring.

Now for the debate this is answering. I have had it told to me on good authority and have told others the same once I learned it that yes, it is true, some companies will in fact not warrant a gun if a handpump has been used. Every time I have made that comment someone is triggered. Why? I don’t know. If you are using a handpump and are doing well with it, especially if your company does not care that you are using a handpump or even more specifically an off brand handpump, who cares? Now, I do know why handpumps often void a warranty. Either that mayo compromises your gun or the salt like deposits do (if the deposit particulates get shot through your valve and bore it scratches things as you can imagine. 

So why my opinion right? Well I took it upon myself to email every Airgun manufacturer. And I mean every gun manufacturer. Every. Dang. One. And as any good detective, I had this as my question to essentially each one: 
1592724332_552802385eef0b6c8c7a20.24050941.jpeg

Now the answers so far have been mixed. Some warrant, some do not, and some frankly didn’t answer the question or didn’t understand the issue. The great divide in the answers seems obviously to be along the higher quality PCP manufactures. I have not gotten a response from a lot of them yet, but I did get two that I feel are largely representative. First was FX who, bravo to them, got back to me real fast. They had this to say: 

1592724667_3788224805eef0cbbb92f22.94426691.jpeg

Reasonable to me. But I did get other responses, like this one from my favorite rifle company, Weihrauch:

1592724799_13972846205eef0d3f34df96.94825272.jpeg
1592724799_20335584465eef0d3f56be86.35313452.jpeg
1592724799_886633595eef0d3f70eb70.26474560.jpeg

Now I would never use a handpump on a Weihrauch. I would use it on a Crosman (love Crosman so don’t take that as a burn they are awesome for the Airgun Community). The reason I would use it on one and not the other isn’t because one allows the use of handpumps under their warranty. It is really because I wouldn’t want to place contaminates inside a nice rifle but don’t care as much for my truck gun. The truck gun has its place, and so does the handpump. But let’s be real here, there are certain companies that have clearly written requirements for air quality, such as Weihrauch, and for good reason too because it does compromise your gun. You can argue the point a million ways that it doesn’t, but moisture is not your friend inside or out. 

If you have a handpump use it and hey at the very least use a dry pack or filter of some kind, and you at least get some exercise. But remember it isn’t DIN EN 12021 quality, and some manufactures, especially the top notch ones, do want you to treat your equipment to their standards. For some companies the warranty can easily be void by using a handpump, especially if they open it up and see this coming out...
1592725597_17206642095eef105df0ec50.97961665.jpeg

Well now, how ‘bout that huh?

I always do tend to get results...

How would a company know what type of system you filled your gun with? If the damage was caused by contaminated air, they wouldn't care about how it got there when rejecting your claim. If you had asked a straight question like does the use of a hand-pump void my warranty, I doubt that any of them would give you a straight answer like yes, it does. I'd expect an answer similarly worded as the ones you got. I know of one importer that recommends hand pumping and gives a warning about damage caused by accidental overfilling with a SCUBA tank will not be covered by warranty and they will be able to recognize it if that is the case. I am not a hand-pump fanboy and have had problems with sticky fill valves after using them that haven't occurred since switching to a compressor and tank. I've never observed any "mayonnaize" in any of my guns. Adding a desiccant filter to the output of any fill source will reduce the chance of moisture getting into your gun to almost zero. If using nitrogen makes you sleep better at night then good for you. The rest of us will happily go on doing what works for us. BTW, Benjamin FX and Hatsan all sell hand-pumps. Do you think that they will void your gun's warranty if they can prove that you used one of their own pumps?

I wouldn't think any airgun manufacturer would warrenty any gun that had evidence of moisture causing damage no matter how it got there, compressor, hand pump or anything else.They are all going to say, as they should, use only clean dry air. Why would they dictate what you use. You could be using a $5000 Bauer, but if your airgun has damage from moisture, they don't care, they ain't gonna repair it under warrenty. JMO. 

Welcome back , LT.

my view, cleaner dryer air is better, simples. (or better still Nitrogen)

however, I believe had you changed the word handpump (sic) to bottled air, compressed air, Nitrogen* or even just left it blank ie "after moisture has been introduced" without stating the means of introduction, you may have received the same type of reply.

however however thanks for asking the question, I would like to see all the response you received.

Just one more thing😉, * I know no moisture in Nitrogen, but that is part of my point, Had you typed "nitrogen" THEY would still deal out an easy answer that covers their asses.

ps WOGAG?,

good luck.

The question you proposed was formed in such a way to be setup for failure...actually sad, thanks for your transparency in that at the least.....

"Do you warrant rifles with moisture present" Is all you needed to ask, doesn't matter how its introduced...or if your gripe is with hand pumps, then "Do you warrant rifles that are filled via hand pumps", you literally asked a question with 2 conditions set, both damage and hand pump use being the requirement. Well guess what Mr. Holier than thou because I use dry nitrogen held to an industry standard that is superior to anything else...the only person that is triggered around these parts seems to be you, going to such extreme lengths to both seek and setup an inquiry in such a biased manner that is going to more than likely give you an answer you want. Oh 1+1 doesn't = 3? Well what if there is a hidden variable there, can it equal 3 then? 1x+1 = 3? Yea.....

How about you ask again with the question being straight up, do they void warranty solely due to hand pump use...short of that you have a nothing burger.

-Matt

Wogag has left the building. He has taken his bat and ball and gone home. It will be interesting to see what name he uses next time. I have some suspicions about some of his previous aliases owing to his similar writing style and baseless opinions. The moderators should be able to block members with multiple accounts or user names. I suppose that he can use different email addresses so it may be difficult or impossible to police. 

Wogag has left the building. He has taken his bat and ball and gone home. It will be interesting to see what name he uses next time. I have some suspicions about some of his previous aliases owing to his similar writing style and baseless opinions. The moderators should be able to block members with multiple accounts or user names. I suppose that he can use different email addresses so it may be difficult or impossible to police.

IP address is easy to spot for the savvy mod.

D'Them moisture boogeymens again it seem; many assertions that it'll damage guns yet not a lot of evidence of damaged guns. Lots of better compressors (until they're not), filters (yet not needed for well engineered systems), and filtering medium resellers (and marketing). What do?

I really like my Brococks and there is no failure observed... how much of a loss should I sell them for in the event I didn't see the moisture boogeyman? :) :) :p

I have hand pumped my FX Tarantula for 6 years now and bought it second hand so I'm not sure how many before that. My valve broke so had to take it apart. Other than the broken valve everything was clean and dry no oil/water accumulation whatsoever. I am in the Canadian Maritimes usually pump up my guns in the basement.

The Tarantula while my oldest and cheapest is the one I still use the most so it is well used. I have FX impact, Daystate Wolverine and Air Arms S510 which are also all running fine with hand pumping. 

Not a randomized controlled study but pretty solid evidence of no harm.