Just not a FX fan…

All PCP’s have something about them that could be better. The consumer just has to choose what a deal breaker is for him personally and if he can live with it or try to fix it. The two FX rifles I currently have check all the boxes on what I like or need out of a gun except consistency and durability. I’ve taken the challenge to improve that weak area because that’s part of why I’m in this hobby. I can also pick apart what I don’t like about my Edguns, Taipan and RTI but it would fall on deaf ears because for some reason the guys who own those guns don’t get their panties in a wad when someone points out a negative thing about those guns. So in my opinion, the worst thing about a FX is some of the guys who own them. The brand definitely attracts a certain kind of guy because of their marketing. Guys with a keen nose for hype will seek it out. Guys who have never owned a PCP and buy a FX as their first gun can cause a lot of bad press because they just plain old don’t know what they are doing. It’s a double edge sword. Sell guns because of the hype, but have forums full of topics that make you question the brand.

Loved the ergonomics of the Impact, unfortunately that's about as far as it went. When it worked it was great, unfortunately it wasn't consistently great. With numerous trips ending in major failures I gave up the brand. I simply don't see myself needing to constantly tinker with something when I should be out enjoying it. Plenty of other brands on the market that have treated me well enough to suit my needs. I've noticed the best guns tend to always be the the ones YOU shoot and might not be what I like. Enjoy what you have and be grateful for it.

Being somewhat new to this forum (but was on the "yellow" for over a decade back in the day) I have been surprised that this site seems to lean fairly heavily towards FX which is totally fine but given their cost I was surprised. FX is on the leading (some would say bleeding) edge of airgun innovation and it would appear from things I have read here that their reach has at times exceeded their grasp. 

I would LOVE an FX Crown but I can't justify spending $2K + on a pellet rifle and this is from a guy who spent $1K for a custom stock so for me it's not just about the money it's much more about the value. That stock is ONE of kind for my HW 98 so I thought $1K was a good value to have something hand carved that no one else in the world has.

By contrast I think FX are great rifles but not a great value so instead of getting a Crown I got it's closest "clone" you could say which is a .25 Kral Super Jumbo with factory moderator, and 2 mags and a bipod/grip for $650 from Krale and it arrived to my door in CA in 3 days! Is this rifle "as good as" an FX? Many people would probably say no but I can shoot heads of match sticks at 35 yds all day long, hunt ground squirrels out to 80 yds plus no problem, all while getting close to 100 shots from it's 500cc bottle with an unregulated rifle with adjustable power and a very nice looking thumbhole stock. 

I think at times the impression that one might get from all the FX posts is that if you are "serious" about PCP air rifles you need to get FX and anything less (save for maybe Daystate) is not going to give you the results you would want from any air rifle which I think is misleading. While I would never buy an FX I am thrilled they exist and make very good high end air rifles that others want to emulate because if it wasn't for the Crown the Super Jumbo probably wouldn't exist and many other fine rifles that have been inspired by them.

I also understand some of the "FX Bashing" because if you are spending $2K + on an pellet rifle after all you expect it to be damn near perfect all the time which is an impossible standard but still the expectation that people will have and one that FX itself to some degree has cultivated. You can see a stark contrast between say HW and FX the former who has had the same models nearly untouched for decades and the later that is trying to come out with something new all the time and probably has more retired models at this point than current ones.

I for one would like to see more discussion of "mid range" PCP air rifles in the say $600 to $1,200 range on the forum which I think are more approachable for most people but will always appreciation FX for what they are and their unquestioned contribution to the evolution of PCP air rifles around the world.

HW 98 Custom - 2.1628361990.jpg
HW 98 Custom - 3.1628361997.jpg
Kral_PSJ25 - 05.1628362040.jpg

FX PAYS LIKE HELL to have there product showcased, reviewed and video blogged !!! These folks are not doing this out of charity or good will ... Really ?

That is what the industry has come too in the last few years with FX's business plan to be the last man standing. ( This I heard from a VERY reputable source )

Understand I have no bias one way or the other, but do know marketing 101 tactics and how our minds work with stimulation and the dangled carrot trick.

If Crosman marketed that hard, or any other manufacturer there market share would soar .... Sustain or fail it is capitalism on a global scale. 

GM, Ford, Toyota and once a upon a time Honda is all you read or saw as THE ONE to buy .... times change and *nothing is forever ( *well that's debatable .. Lol )

Sorry for your loss but that just means more for me so not really a bad thing. ;^)

As far as the o-ring thing people are always referencing only a fraction of them are actually holding air pressure. The only one I have had go bad in 3 years and 12,000 rounds I damaged on one of my many tear down and re-assembly for mods.

FX did actually screw up on a number of M3 guns though, and some leak, but it doesn't seem to be curbing anyone's purchases.

Waiting for a couple of months because of sales being so high, a good thing for FX, is one thing but the longer wait times are cuz of the China virus. We wait for lots of things these days and it ought not be.

I have been waiting for over three months now for my M3 from Utah Airguns but my life goes on with or without the wait so it really means little.

Our first world problems are what they are though, mine included. I wish it were not so but alas it is. (crying a river of tears emoji)

I'm with you. I also have realized FX just isn't for me and for the exact same reasons. If I were an ELR bench rest shooter or had a specialized reason for one I wouldn't think twice. I respect FX and believe that especially in regards to thier barrel making machine that they have had the ability to do massive research on twist rates and rifling design that has revolutionized the pellet and airgun market. I give respect where it is due but the guns are complex and have many failure points. I am not even speaking of quality here. Just the fact that they have so many seals and orings makes it vulnerable to leaking. Every time you add another oring you have a point where failure will occur given a long enough time line. I prefer simple designs that have less places that can go wrong. The raw seems like a good candidate for a tier 1 gun that is built to last. Also the Vulcan and a few others. I do think FX has its place and I don't blame anyone for getting one and playing around with it. You can make FX do amazing things and they are very modular. It's just not worth it to me as a hunter and a plinker for the reasons you described. 

The two FX rifles I currently have check all the boxes on what I like or need out of a gun except consistency and durability.

This is why an old smooth twist barrel resides on mine often. I was supposed to get another one in .30, but USPS lost it

The simplicity and efficacy of the semi-balanced valve on mine is super lowkey... possibly it's best attribute. Yet no one speaks of it. It's not even listed as a feature, or marketed as an advantage or anything. But it plays a massive role in my rifle's ability to shoot as accurately as it does. Even when employing very poor technique or hold. 

I shot springers for over 40 years but getting old changed my mind as cocking efforts seemed harder. I've now owned four PCP, the latest one an FX Dreamlite in .22. The light weight, no stock for me to scratch in the squirrel woods, and easy of adjusting was what sold me on the Dreamline. So far there have been no issues with it, accuracy is outstanding, and over 100 shots per fill makes an great hunting rifle and was just the type of rifle I had been waiting for so thanks FX. The squirrels do hate FX's though.

In Norway, where I live, There Is only a few brands available. Many of the US, or eastern european guns is not possible to get, as there is no importers. When I got my taipan, I had to import it from netherland. That means extra import fees, and more cumbersome paper work, when anyrhing bigger than .177. Fx seems to be available in most countries. I am not bashing any brands. Personally I own a taipan veteran, and a couple of FX guns. I think both have there pluss, and minus. Often what one brand lack, the other got instead..

For me personally if I want a gun capable of shooting slugs, and pellets, and what is available where I live FX is a good choise. The gun law where I live require a lisence for every gun or barrel bigger than .177. But liners does not come under that law. So if I own one barrel, I can basically get any liner I want (pellet, and slugliner) without having a lisence for each.

I currently own 6 FX airguns. 2 Crown MK2s, a Dreamline Tactical, a Wildcat MK3 Sniper, an Impact MK2 currently ina Compact incarnation and an Impact M3. I have owned a couple others which I sold, usually to replace with the versions I have now. I absolutely love them. I love especially the ability to easily change calibers as well as barrel lengths, not to mention liners (different twist rates). Every single on of the 9 that have passed through my hands (or stayed there) in the last 16 months has been 100% reliable, whether I purchased them new (5) or used (4). No leaks, no wandering zero, no issues whatsoever.

Obviously they are not for everyone. That’s the beauty of Capitalism and choice. Whatever floats your boat is up to you, and there is no guarantee that it’s going to give someone else the same warm feeling. However, given how hard they are to come by these days and how many airguns FX sells every year, it is also clear that they must be doing something that’s not just right, but really good. I guarantee you that there is no industry where simply paying for marketing and YouTube videos leads to consistent and durable success such as FX has enjoyed for a number of years now.

I see so much written about how FX guns are unreliable, that they MUST be tuned and adjusted daily. I really wonder if the people who write these things have owned an FX rifle. They ARE tunable. I love that about them. But every single one that I have bought new has come from the dealer (only two so far, Utah Air and Ken Hicks at SPAW) in perfect condition and tune, shooting one hole 5 and 10 shot groups at 25 yards and 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. I like to fiddle with my guns, so most of them get some adjustment as i try for more power, or higher shot count, etc. I don’t shoot slugs, and they all group brilliantly, so that’s never been an issue. As a result, about half of them end up never being changed from the tune they came with, unless I change the caliber.

I have other airguns (currently a Leshiy 2 and a Steyr Pro X) and have had other brands in the past. I love, or loved, them all in their own way, but frankly, none of them really put my FXs to shame, or leave them on the dust.

As the French say, “Vive la differance!”

Chris

I must say , I am a bit surprised how much attention this thread received. I was even more impressed that almost all contributors refrained from bashing and name calling of any type. This is exactly how I envision most post being done , but not always so. Everybody for the most part gets it. No one brand is made for everybody. For all of you that revel in the FX world , you picked a great company. For me and the non fans , there are others , and I as well as others felt they deserved a little sunshine as well. Thanks to all that contributed to a enjoyable post. 

- marc

That is what the industry has come too in the last few years with FX's business plan to be the last man standing. ( This I heard from a VERY reputable source )

Every business has that plan!!

"With that one needs to ponder" How many dealers your willing to supply to sell more product ? 

How many distributors you have and if or not there of the same mind set to be a ONE COMPANY player forsaking all others ?

Does your business model address long term PARTS SUPPORT of models past ? 

Or ... BUILD NEW models and Sell New guns above all else ?

ABOVE are FOUR Question marks ...... Answer these to the best of your viewpoint or knowledge & you'll get a bigger picture.

ALL companies plan ???? Likely yes, but not a long term sustainable one unless said products buyers have $$$ to burn or throw away having no interest in long term value or support down the road.

This just a generic statement and not directed at any one company ... It is business and if one looks into the past of such practices you can learn a lot ... if you even care ?

ABOVE are FOUR Question marks …… Answer these to the best of your viewpoint or knowledge & you'll get a bigger picture.

Good questions, let's see:

"With that one needs to ponder" How many dealers your willing to supply to sell more product ? 

Every good airgun resellers are selling FX guns except for AOA which they had a fallout with. It doesn't appear FX has any sort of exclusivity agreement with dealers because they all sell a ton of other airguns. Given every one of them are out of stock and taking back orders I assume they are welling to sell more FX products. 

How many distributors you have and if or not there of the same mind set to be a ONE COMPANY player forsaking all others ?

Not a single dealer will enter a exclusivity agreement with any airgun manufacture except say Edgun west since he is a one man shop and has edgun in the company name, it won't stop him from create another airgun reseller business though. Again, everyone appears to be selling everything that sells.

Does your business model address long term PARTS SUPPORT of models past ? 

As far as I can tell FX service center still has parts for bobcats and royals because all part numbers and diagrams are online. In fact I’m pretty sure OEM can still send a bobcat or royal to FX for a factory reseal for 150 bucks which is impressive service! Fortunately they have in house C&C machines so getting more parts made isn't a huge deal but no one support parts forever. Just look car makers, ford doesn't have parts for the pintos anymore I assume.

Or … BUILD NEW models and Sell New guns above all else ?

EVERY gun manufacture will build new models and sell new guns above all else. Who would prioritize old model vs new? Unless of course they been selling the same thing and don't have a new model to sell but then it's not old, it's just "current". 

So the bigger picture to me is FX is.......well, like any other airgun manufacture except they are just much faster at creating new models. I get why you don't like FX for many reasons and no one gun manufacture is perfect. FX guns aren't made to be driven over with a SUV but I sold my SUV earlier this year so guess I won’t need that feature. LOL!