• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other Just Moved & Looking for Best <50yd PCP for slug and pellet gun

I finally got a house with a nice backyard suited for simple airgunning... I have a clear run out to about 30-40yds from my back window.

In the past I went for compact rigs that were easily concealed for sneaky semi-urban plinking.

I currently have a dream tac w 22cal 300mm barrel and behemoth mod w extra baffle; never properly tuned it, just snuck in some plinking here and there.

Asking all the experts here for their recommendation on the best rig for my range/ setup. I do like shorter setups but not necessarily bullpups, quiet is still king, and i would like to run slugs and pellets... will be plinking and pesting.

Stay with dream tac or no...? If no, what? Panthera mini?

Thanks!

Reactions: Scotay42
I have both the Dream Tac (500 mm .22) and a Panthera (700 mm, .22). For 50 yds. +or- I prefer the DreamTac. With 18.1 gr. JSBs I'm getting 1/2" groups at 50 yds. With 20.2 gr NSA's I'm hitting a 4" gong consistently at 150 yds. The Panthera is a recent acquisition and I haven't really got it dialed in yet, but it seems like less than 100 yards it's over kill.
My Dream Tac took a lot of tweaking to get it where it is, but well worth the effort. If you decides to longer barrel, I would suggest adding the CF barrel liner and CF shroud.

Reactions: rcarlisle
I have both the Dream Tac (500 mm .22) and a Panthera (700 mm, .22). For 50 yds. +or- I prefer the DreamTac. With 18.1 gr. JSBs I'm getting 1/2" groups at 50 yds. With 20.2 gr NSA's I'm hitting a 4" gong consistently at 150 yds. The Panthera is a recent acquisition and I haven't really got it dialed in yet, but it seems like less than 100 yards it's over kill.
My Dream Tac took a lot of tweaking to get it where it is, but well worth the effort. If you decides to longer barrel, I would suggest adding the CF barrel liner and CF shroud.
can you recommend any particular tuning guide for the dream tac?

Really no need for slugs under 50yds unless hunting larger than squirrel. My dreamsaber loves crossmans goin slow and i get 100 or so shots at 100bar on reg and low transfer port, with a 3 on the hammer adjuster. on a 220bar fill. Absolutely stacks crossmans hps at 40yds, consistent MOA and under at 50yds.

20230906_080858.jpg

Really no need for slugs under 50yds unless hunting larger than squirrel. My dreamsaber loves crossmans goin slow and i get 100 or so shots at 100bar on reg and low transfer port, with a 3 on the hammer adjuster. on a 220bar fill. Absolutely stacks crossmans hps at 40yds, consistent MOA and under at 50yds.

View attachment 388048
May need to smack some racoons or possum.. what velocity does you tune deliver?

Reactions: Scotay42

Nice rig!

Now there's isn't any need, but I only have 35 yards and there's nothing like hearing a .357 Rattler smacking your targets and any distance :)

Reactions: MrP
Nice rig!

Now there's isn't any need, but I only have 35 yards and there's nothing like hearing a .357 Rattler smacking your targets and any distance :)
Thank you,the Dream is growing on me, i have started shooting it lefty to switch it up a bit, but still stupid accurate. Lol, but Nah i have real bangs if i want that noise, I grew up with a 22l(single shot 22, when i turned 7) in my hand. We blew up everything under the sun as well, lol, I shoot pcps for my dogs' sake. We have a few rescues with pretty bad ptsd.

Reactions: allinssd
smallish yards and high power ????? wonderful! reminds me of my neighbor .Invites me over to try out his new target (lucky he has moved ) I got there to see a 3/4 inch thick plywood hung up on his chimney which was the box type not brick and he is ready to shoot his new 9mm .

smallish yards and high power ????? wonderful! reminds me of my neighbor .Invites me over to try out his new target (lucky he has moved ) I got there to see a 3/4 inch thick plywood hung up on his chimney which was the box type not brick and he is ready to shoot his new 9mm .

LMFAO that's funny AF

I have a bunch of AR500/550 targets since my real hobby is PB's. PCP's are just fun since I don't have to drive and set up my course, I can just plink in the back.

And if I'm feeling like not upsetting my neighbors too much, I also have a few 27gal containers filled with rubber mulch and a piece of AR500 steel behind it just in case - totally overkill

LMFAO that's funny AF

I have a bunch of AR500/550 targets since my real hobby is PB's. PCP's are just fun since I don't have to drive and set up my course, I can just plink in the back.

And if I'm feeling like not upsetting my neighbors too much, I also have a few 27gal containers filled with rubber mulch and a piece of AR500 steel behind it just in case - totally overkill
you can never overkill building a backstop . I would have done the same if i had the AR500

I recently got an Umarex Notos since I’m faced with the same situation, around 35 yards for my shooting lane in a rural residential area. It does 18-20fpe and is a great short-range plinker.

I also went extremely overboard on my backstop. I was using scrap lumber that I’ve had laying around for a while, including a pile of 4” thick peeler cores. Total backstop thickness is around 8”, for a pellet that penetrates around 3/4”. Lol.

It gives me peace of mind though knowing I probably couldn’t even blow through it with my 9mm.

Reactions: Dairyboy
I finally got a house with a nice backyard suited for simple airgunning... I have a clear run out to about 30-40yds from my back window.

In the past I went for compact rigs that were easily concealed for sneaky semi-urban plinking.

I currently have a dream tac w 22cal 300mm barrel and behemoth mod w extra baffle; never properly tuned it, just snuck in some plinking here and there.

Asking all the experts here for their recommendation on the best rig for my range/ setup. I do like shorter setups but not necessarily bullpups, quiet is still king, and i would like to run slugs and pellets... will be plinking and pesting.

Stay with dream tac or no...? If no, what? Panthera mini?

Thanks!
I shoot from 25 to 102 yards in my backyard and keep the energy level below 25 FPE on my PCPs. The distance you are describing isn’t very far. Don’t underestimate what can be done with low power. Seems like your Dream Tac suits the role. Shoot it awhile in your new sweet backyard. Then “you” will know what you need or not. Congratulations on your new home.

Reactions: PrettyPetty