Just messing around testing Pellets

Hello everyone,

First off I am not trying to be 100% scientific but just messing around and having fun. However with that said I am trying to find an easy way to evaluate a lot of different Pellets in a specific Gun as simply and quickly as possible. To start I will be using a Diana Stormrider in a .177 caliber and evaluating 12 different Pellets. I created a “Pellet Comparison Target” and printed it out on 8-1/2 x 11 paper ( photo 1 ). I shot 5-rounds at each of the individual targets at 30-yards using all 12 Brands/Styles of Pellets. I gave each target a score by measuring the maximum spread for all 5 Pellet impact. I entered the scores and Pellet information in a spreadsheet and then “data sorted” the scores from the lowest to the highest ( photo 2 ). Then I choose the Top 6 lowest scored Pellets to be evaluated on a Second Target. As you can see, I redrew this target with only six individual numbered target and I made the overall size a bit larger ( photo 3 ). Again I shot 5-rounds at each individual target with all 6 different Pellets. Scored each Pellet but this time I eliminated the furthest impact and measured the max spread of the closest 4 impacts. Entered the scores and Pellet information in a new spreadsheet and data sorted to get the Top 3 remaining Pellets ( photo 4 ). I created another new target with 8 Bulls Eye individual targets and shot only one (1) round per target ( photo 5 ). It is fairly easy to see which of the remaining three Pellets shot the best in this rifle, #7. However I do not feel that this is a fair evaluation because the Rifle and Scope have not been zeroed to match each pellet. Later on I will zero the Rifle and Scope for each Pellet on a separate target and then shoot that Pellet on the “Pellet Comparison Second Target” and do the same for the remaining two Pellets.

I am open to any positive critique or suggestions to improve this process.

Be safe and have a great day,
ThomasT

12-Pellet-1A.jpg

12-Pellet-2A.jpg

12-Pellet-3A.jpg

12-Pellet-4A.jpg

12-Pellet-5A.jpg

Zero is not relevant in the testing you are doing. The only thing that matters is the size of the group (CEP). Your test is valid and the results should not change if you zero the rifle and try it again.

There appears to be something odd with that last target though. First line looks like a sine wave and that's pretty weird. Second line looks like it is falling off a hill and that's pretty weird. Third line looks like the others should. That is to say, shots appear to be randomly scattered around the bull.

It is all about how the shots group. Once you have them grouping you can always adjust zero. The group should not change.

Hello @OldSpook, yes you are correct about “zero” not important but looking for “grouping”. However on the last Target my interest there is how well does the pellet shoot when zeroed with the Rifle and Scope combination. I would shoot this setup as much as 30 to 50 rounds at another target and then shoot the 8-rounds at Pellet Comparison Second Target. And of course do the same process for the other two pellets. I plan on spending the morning shooting the Stormrider with the final 3 pellets. Thank you for your help.

ThomasT

Last edited:
What a great little rifle. You know it's just your basic squirrel hunting rifle.

The action on mine is a little bit stiff and the triggers a little bit tight. It took a lot of fiddling to get it shooting under an inch at 50 yards but it's a great little rifle especially at the price. And that silencer on that little rifle is quieter than any other silencer I have tested on the rifle. I have a Tonto and a Tatsu. Those are great moderators but on that rifle they can't even compare with the stock moderator. That maybe because mine is regulated and turned to shoot around 16 foot-pounds. And those moderators may be designed for higher gas pressures and gas volumes.

Good luck with your testing I look forward to seeing your results

Reactions: ThomasT
What a great little rifle. You know it's just your basic squirrel hunting rifle.

The action on mine is a little bit stiff and the triggers a little bit tight. It took a lot of fiddling to get it shooting under an inch at 50 yards but it's a great little rifle especially at the price. And that silencer on that little rifle is quieter than any other silencer I have tested on the rifle. I have a Tonto and a Tatsu. Those are great moderators but on that rifle they can't even compare with the stock moderator. That maybe because mine is regulated and turned to shoot around 16 foot-pounds. And those moderators may be designed for higher gas pressures and gas volumes.

Good luck with your testing I look forward to seeing your results
Hello OldSpook,

I love this little gun and have kind of set it aside since I got my FX Crown. You are correct, with the moderator this rifle is so quite that I am shooting within 20-feet of a Hummingbird feeder and they don't move when I shoot. If the trigger was a lot better this would be a really great "shooter". I will keep working with it until I am satisfied.

ThomasT

Hello OldSpook,

I love this little gun and have kind of set it aside since I got my FX Crown. You are correct, with the moderator this rifle is so quite that I am shooting within 20-feet of a Hummingbird feeder and they don't move when I shoot. If the trigger was a lot better this would be a really great "shooter". I will keep working with it until I am satisfied.

ThomasT
If you have not found them there are some pretty good threads on tuning it. Search on "Stormrider" and "Guest" because the account that started them was deleted.

Reactions: ThomasT