Just Introducing Myself

Thanks all for the welcomes!

So 2022, I decided to look in to a rifle that was much lighter, and shorter. In short, I didn't even know what it was at the time, I was looking for a carbine. I'm never shooting more than 40 yards, so a long air rifle seems a little overkill, as well as heavy and front-heavy.

So, I picked up an AEA HP SS+ from the Pellet Shop.

Hi all!

Just introducing myself. I've had an air rifle for a few years. Never grew up hunting, or even doing much outdoors, but in 2010 moved onto a nut orchard in northern California. I was recommended an air rifle for pesting ground squirrels. Quick research, and of course ended up with a Marauder, synthetic, in .25 and a hand pump.

It wasn't until recently that I've been getting into more than using and zero-ing my setups. Just bought a chronograph last month.

Thanks for all the posts and information!

Here is my inventory.

Started with a Marauder Synrod in .25, ye old Pyramyd Air combo, I think it was a Centerpoint scope--sadly this was stolen from me in a house break-in maybe 5 years ago.

To replace the Synrod, I went with the Marauder Semi-auto in .22. I have Hawke Vantage 4-16x4 AO mounted on it.

Added a Hatsan Bullmaster in .22, Bugbuster scope.

Next added a AEA HP SS+ in .22. This is my main hunting carbine. Mounted a Hawk Airmax 39x40.

Soon to come, in the mail, so excited: Huben GK1

Additional stuff: Hand pump Hill Mk4. Air Venturi 4500psi 74 Cuft Carbon fiber tank. Bog deathgrip, Air Venturi Rovair.

I will come back and post my thoughts and experiences on my stuff.

Navig
Welcome

In a lot of ways AEA HP SS+ was a nice step forward from me--I was freed from longer and heavier rifles that provided range that I don't really need. To this day, this is my go-to rifle. If I see a squirrel bouncing around in one of my fire lanes, it is very easy to go inside and just grab this carbine and go. If the squirrel scampers further in to my orchard, it's no problem--I just carry the carbine at my chest and go. When it presents a shot, it is easy to flip the rifle to shooting position and take a shot.

In other ways, as most owners of AEA products know, it is a bit of step backwards. If you want a no-maintenance, out-of-the-box ready to go, AEA products are probably not for you. On the other hand, they are very easy and simple to disassemble to address the issues that come up. And once you know its quirks and parameters, can be kept pretty reliable. As I said, it is my go-to rifle.

Also, as a plus, as quite a few did, I purchased the rifle from the Pellet Shop, so Bin personally walked me thru multiple issues, even with videos he would take just for me.

Out of the box, the platform seemed adjusted for higher calibers than .22 (I was warned by Bin, who recommended a .25, or at least to use heavier .22 pellets). Was getting jams out of the box. Too much air pressure would apparently blow the next pellet backwards, which would cause it to fall in to the trigger assembly. 1 quick video, and some pictures, and it's pretty easy to identify, hopefully pluck pellet out the side, or take the few minutes to disassemble the trigger assembly (unscrew the stock, punch a few pins out, remove the trigger), and out falls the pellet.

Understand, I had never done anything like this, but I found it easy enough to do.

Once we dialed back the power wheel (I could be wrong, but I think this is actually adjusting the transfer port?), I have actually not had that problem since.

I do know that I have to keep my pressures between 210 and 150 bar for the semiauto to cycle properly--if it doesn't cycle, its not the end of the world, you just cycle the bolt manually.

The trigger is not awful. Better than Hatsan, not as nice as the Marauder. Bin had me lightly sand and clean the trigger base (400 grit) one of time it was disassembled, and that helped.

All in all I am pleased with my AEA, but it is definitely a DIY rough and tumble feeling product.

And that is my (almost current) entire list and history of me and air rifles! Not going to lie, my Huben GK1 has just arrived, so I am going to wrap up this thread.

But, I definitely need to talk about my accessories, because that really changes your use of air rifles.

Compressed Air
I stared with a Hill Pump--still works perfectly well. Always a good back up.
About 2 years ago, I picked up a refurbished Air Venturi carbon fiber bottle. I have a dive shop a short drive from where I live, and they charge $100 for 10 fills. The owner is also air gunner, so we talk about that also.
But, this past Black Friday, as I mentioned, Pyramyd air or Airgun dept had a $50 off $500, so I picked up the Air Venturi Rovair. So far it has worked flawlessly. This is a true gamechanger for how I hunt. I pretty much just plink and hunt around my property, so this works great for me. Portability is not really a big deal for me, so probably should have skipped the bottle.

Optics
UTG Bugbuster 3-12x32 sidewheel parallax adjust
Hawke Airmax 30 Touch 3-12x32
Hawke Vantage 4-16x44 AO
Walther reflex sight

Bog Deathgrip tripod

Besides the Rovair compressor, the Hawke Airmax Touch and the tripode have really revolutionized how I plink and hunt.

Given that I do not have huge experience, the Hawke Airmax Touch is absolutely awesome. No moving around your face to find the proper eye relief distance. Just put your face up to the scope and open your eyes. And the field of view is amazing. Yes, you do have to get creative with your mounts to get the scope back towards the stock, but so worth it to me. Every time I go to another rifle (it's currently on my AEA), and I'm adjusting myself around to get a scope view, I'm reminded of how easy it is with the Hawke. It really suits my hunting--squirrels, because you have only a few moments to grab a gun and get a shot off.

The Bog Deathgrip tripod has really really changed things up for me, hunting wise. All my criticizing about heavy and long rifles, the tripod negates it to a large degree. Takes only a few moments to deploy, and I can hit a dime at my usual hunting distances. Like, if my rifles are dialed in, and the squirrel is holding still, I can choose what type of head shot to deploy.

So here is kind of where I am at.

See some squirrels, near side of my orchard, grab my AEA with the Airmax Touch, consider the tripod. If I need to track them thru my orchard, take the AEA and go.

See some squirrels on the far side of my orchard (I keep the Benjamin SAM with Hawke Vantage tuned for longer shots), set the SAM on the tripod and hunt.

See lots of squirrels everywhere, and I'm not leaving my property for a bit, choose a rife and leave it the tripod, and shoot whenever a shot presents itself.

What's next? GK1 is here--figuring out how it'll fit in my lineup. Probably creating my own GKarbine, at least until Huben releases a GKarbine. Sell my Bullmaster.

Okay, that is pretty much everything I have experienced when it comes to air guns, and pretty much any sort of guns.
Thanks for the welcome.

Reactions: Airgun Al