Just got to Texas

Just got to the house I bought in Daingerfield Texas, it looks very piggy...Piggy.... nice yard and 1000 acres behind the house, should be deer and other critters.
20220809_172137.jpg
20220809_172426.jpg
20220809_172055.jpg

Things to learn about Texas if you didn't already know: chiggers, ticks, Copperhead snake, Cottonmouth snake, Timber Rattlesnake, Coral Snake, Brown Recluse, Black Widows, and that fuzzy caterpillar asp.
I have a pair of snake gaiters just for them snakes, gotta get some bleach for the chiggers, killed a bunch of black widows already haven't seen the brown recluse yet or the fuzzy catapillar, I'll keep a good watch for them .
Thanks

@KatoKevin454 Finally made it eh? 1000 acres behind you too? Yea grab a pair of snake boots if you don’t own any. It’s also scorpion season. Make it a point to flip your shoes and slippers over and slap them together before putting them on to make sure you don’t have company in them in the mornings. These scorpions won’t kill you, unless you’re allergic to them. They just hurt like hell. They’re small but they are out this time of year and come inside when it’s hot if they can find a way in. If you’re seeing spiders inside you’ll probably see scorpions because they eat them. And they climb walls and ceilings too. Welcome to the Lone Star State.

Last edited:
Welcome to Texas! FYI, some counties up that way are dry counties, might not be a concern of yours but good to know nonetheless. All true about the bugs, snakes and creatures that want to kill you. Shake out your boots, make some noise before reaching into a dark covered area or in thick brush and try to moderate the Whataburger intake. Lol.

Dont forget about the Texas Airgun Show in September ( Dallas area) and the Textreme Field Target and Benchrest competitions (Waco area)!

@KatoKevin454 Finally made it eh? 1000 acres behind you too? Yea grab a pair of snake boots if you don’t own any. It’s also scorpion season. Make it a point to flip your shoes and slippers over and slap them together before putting them on to make sure you don’t have company in them in the mornings. These scorpions won’t kill you, unless you’re allergic to them. They just hurt like hell. They’re small but they are out this time of year and come inside when it’s hot if they can find a way in. If you’re seeing spiders inside you’ll probably see scorpions because they eat them. And they climb walls and ceilings too. Welcome to the Lone Star State.
I hear you on those Scorpions, bought a good set of boots yesterday at the tractor supply across the street, got lot of bug spray for the spiders and the Scorpions, also have the trusty Bug-A-Salt, a club and the shotgun if needed, I don't think I want to use the 454 Casull, it leaves to big of holes in the floor and then more critter can get in...;)

Welcome to Texas! FYI, some counties up that way are dry counties, might not be a concern of yours but good to know nonetheless. All true about the bugs, snakes and creatures that want to kill you. Shake out your boots, make some noise before reaching into a dark covered area or in thick brush and try to moderate the Whataburger intake. Lol.

Dont forget about the Texas Airgun Show in September ( Dallas area) and the Textreme Field Target and Benchrest competitions (Waco area)!
I don't drink anymore, but I did see beer in the coolers at the stores, I might get my self some fine wine and mix it with some lemon lime soda, but the doc said to stay away for my heart... and Vertigo... I might make it to the Airgun show in September, sounds like fun, oh and I try to eat better these days, Whataburger next to the Walmart in Mt Pleasant is quite tempting, but I'll make myself go to the Panda Express for some veggies and lighter food, no carbs.... ;) I have to lose weight to keep the Doctors happy...

Reactions: tibor
@KatoKevin454 In my observation wild hogs tend to move around unless they have a steady food supply. They roam to forage and root. I’m not used to seeing them return to the same areas repeatedly. They come and go in my neck of the woods. Dunno about people and areas that regularly bait them. If you put some trail cams out, you’ll get a good feel for what’s moving where and when. If you don’t physically see them in the area the ground will often tell the tale if there’s any food around for them. How you liking Texas so far?

"Whataburger" best fast food burger ever.

been here a month and no Rats or Pigs yet, but there are several Coyotes and Racoons.
But I did see a few dead pigs on the road about 2 miles from here, still trying to bait them in though....;)

View attachment 287290

The sounders of pigs will move around a lot. They tend to follow water. Look for creeks and aroyos in the satelite pictures around your place. They are on a property 1/2 mile from my house, but the never come up the hill to here.