Just got my Uragan!

Continuing the break in/get to know each other period I got a little more playtime this evening. I’ve been burning up the H&N’s in the basement to just put shots through it for break in and to get familiar with it’s balance and trigger. At short range at least they’re accurate enough to have fun with 10 meter scaled silhouettes.

I swapped the cocking linkage to the right side this morning and find it so much more comfortable. All my muscle memory is built around using my trigger hand to chamber another round and it just felt wrong using my other hand. I can stay on target better while cocking and I can pretty much do it with my pointer finger only, thereby leaving my hand holding the grip (mostly).

I find shooting it off hand a pleasure, I think the Uragan is well balanced for me and shoulders very well.

I took a bipod with my today because I wanted to see if there was any difference in groups between being bagged vs using the bipod. Bagged groups were still the best but I found out that when using the bipod it preferred a firm grip and snug hold. I was shooting off a Formica topped table and the bipod feet are metal so a rougher surface or some non slip feet might allow a looser hold.

I also took the .217 Knock Outs and I’m glad I did as they outperformed the .216’s. In fact they tied the other surprise of the night… the 18.13 Exact Heavy’s are still doing REALLY well and tied for tightest group at 30 yards. The Heavy group looks smaller but I think only because of the way the holes closed in without a good target backer so I’m going to call both .22 inches center to center. I think that means both shot sub MOA tonight (less than .333” at 30 yards). Next up is comparing some groups to my MMHF barreled Mrod which is my measuring stick for accuracy and seeing if I can push out to 50 yards and further if possible.

FYI, a note on target scale… These targets are just under 2” square, they probably started out being 2x2 squares but have been shrunk slightly in translation. The small grid squares are around 3/16” (maybe 7/32?)

AD5183F1-3B98-4A5B-92CE-C75A59EB57BB.1630899923.jpeg

This is great information Blue, thanks or sharing! 

Have you had a chance to put any of the 18gr Baracudas through it?

I think they spec pretty well identical to the JSBs, but seem to be a little more available, currently.

I have only tried H&N's 21 grain Baracudas and they performed the worst of any pellet I've tried. I think I had heard that H&N uses a harder alloy in their pellets but I can't say for sure.

I am pushing back to 50 yards for testing and have picked up some Redesigned Monsters to compare.

I hope to report back after shooting some 50 yard comparison groups with my most accurate gun (MMHF barrel on a gen 2 Mrod shooting JSB 18's at around 880 fps) then comparing groups at the same distance with KO .216's, Beasts, and Monster Redesigned.