Western Airguns Just for hunting purposes, under which circumstances you would choose another rifle.....?

Suppose you will be hunting coyotes with a .30 Cal air rifle.

Now suppose you will be hunting jackrabbits with a .25 Cal air rifle.

You have the alternative of using accurate and powerful rifles in both .30 and .25...... But one of your accurate and powerful rifles in each Cal is also semi auto and gives a lot of shots per fill.

Why would you use one of the non semi auto rifles?

Each time I think about new hunting season and imagine which rifle I will take with me, I do not find a convincing reason to not use the Sidewinder.....

At the moment of the truth, by instinct you pick the rifle that you think will give you more advantage.....

Last edited:
Whichever has the best trigger, shot cycle and maneuverability to where you are hunting. Dense woods, short and sweet. Open field, long gun, etc. Currently both of mine are long so out of the DreamSaber and Katran LB, I choose the Katran when it comes down to it. Best trigger out of the 2,similar shot cycle.

It sounds like your decision is not a "no-brainer" one, in that it seems like you are rationalizing picking the Sidewinder, with it's semi-auto function being at least a reasonably good reason to make the list - maybe without that functionality you'd pick one of the other guns?

I know with my Huben it is a "no-brainer" for me to pick it as my choice. With it's very good trigger, compact size, and being pretty darn good at everything else, it is the one I grab the most often. I'm warming up to the Sidewinder, but if I did not have the Huben it would be a harder to pick the Sidewinder over the Daystate Air Ranger, and I know that without the semi-auto function the Sidewinder would not get picked much at all (probably only when weight matters most). Before the Huben, the choice always was the Air Ranger as it was the most accurate with the best trigger and ergonomics . . .

Reactions: Emu
For larger game, I always pick up the Huben 25 - well, I don't own a Sidewinder so no choice there! For smaller game I take my EVOL 15 22. Both are easy to haul around the woods. I like the bullpup or semi-bullpup design for hunting as it seems to get around the woods better than my traditional guns. The downside to the Huben is the fixed magazine, but I can't say that I've ever been hunting and run out of the shot count out in the woods - never been that lucky (or good) to find so much to shoot at!

Reactions: Emu
Suppose you will be hunting coyotes with a .30 Cal air rifle.

Now suppose you will be hunting jackrabbits with a .25 Cal air rifle.

You have the alternative of using accurate and powerful rifles in both .30 and .25...... But one of your accurate and powerful rifles in each Cal is also semi auto and gives a lot of shots per fill.

Why would you use one of the non semi auto rifles?

Each time I think about new hunting season and imagine which rifle I will take with me, I do not find a convincing reason to not use the Sidewinder.....

At the moment of the truth, by instinct you pick the rifle that you think will give you more advantage.....
Which are you most accurate with and more comfortable shooting/carrying? That's the one I would use. I have a Hatsan Bullboss .25 and an AEA HP SS .30 that are both around 40ish fpe. The Bullboss has a bit more power and range but I carry the AEA for small game because it's lighter and more compact. All a matter of preferences in my opinion.

well as much as some calibers are touted, nothing beats a bigger gun for going after larger stuff, and truth is you usually only get one shot on larger animals, you may need a followup to polish it off but if it isnt incapacitated on the initial shot its usually gone super fast .. semi wont help .. and yeah ive seen people take larger stuff with a .25, done it myself, but also had alot of larger things run off ... most wont, from say a .35 or .45 ..

Reactions: Airgunmann