Just curious…..

What are these “flakes” of aluminum (?) on the receiver beside the loading port of my Pathfinder? I also have them on my Cayden…..none on the rest of my guns.
IMG_4811.jpeg

Agree with RM100GUY, looks like some of the texture of the finish is flaking off.

It's cosmetic and won't affect the airgun's performance. If it bugs you could clean the surface with rubbing alcohol and lightly "dot" the bare spots with a sharpie marker. Don't try to "color in" the bare spot as that will show up badly. Just put a few small dots on the shiny spot to dull it down, break up the area and camouflage it. As small as the spots are, it would probably be best to just ignore them.

Cheers!

Reactions: longdog
Yes, you wouldn't think a $1700 gun would do that while a $300 Avenger won't.
It doesn't really bother me much. I was just curious.
The Pathfinder lives in my truck anyway so it has a few self inflicted scratches and such.
Thanks ya'll.

It's very easy for something like that to happen to any product regardless of price.

It could be an isolated case where someone touched the previously cleaned surface with a bare (naturally oily hand) or that the cleaning bath was exhausted/contaminated and the whole batch was affected.

Hard for QA to catch that kinda thing as it may take weeks or months to show up.

Sh*t happens, customer does final inspection!

Cheers!

I'm not really bitchin'.....just curious
(longdog) No reason to apologize, you have every reason to expect an air rifle at that price point to be free of flaws and defects if that is the case. I would send the pic to Brocock or where you bought it and ask them. (Vana2) If you bought a new BMW car and the paint started peeling would you say NO PROBLEM AT LEAST IT RUNS GOOD?
I have 3 Brococks and none have this issue so if it is a flaw I think it is isolated and they would make good on it.

Looks like their bead blasting process wasn't done right or with contaminated media, bead blasting is a process to hide imperfections in the machining process....deburring, surface finishes...shiny shows off flaws mat finishes not so much....Older Taipan Veterans used a "shiny smooth" anodizing the newer ones use a bead blasted mat finish...Just cheaper and easier. I noticed it right away as I have an older smooth model. Compair the edges on your mag opening edges to my Wolverine...even it's not perfect but exceptable...I was a machinist for 38 years, if I was running that machine that made your block...I would have caught it.
20231124_140656.jpg