• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Just Bought an AGT Uragan in .25

Hello -

I’m new on the forum and just bought an air rifle - an AGT Uragan in .25. I bought it from Charles Frear of Georgia Airguns. What a knowledgeable, patient & all around nice guy.

I don’t have it yet because he’s doing his ‘magic’ work on it, putting the package together, testing, etc. I hope to have it by next week. I’m a long time rifle, pistol & shotgun guy and, while I’ve done a lot of hunting, plinking and punching paper over the years, this is my 1st air rifle. I recently moved from the city to a more rural area and I’ve found that I have quite a few pest issues - ground squirrels, mice, chipmunks, rabbits, birds and some coyotes. Although I have a few acres it’s certainly not safe to shoot a center fire or even a rimfire for that matter so I started looking for an air rifle.

I found all of the big name, larger companies out there and talked to them about various brands. There’s certainly nothing wrong with the bigger guys but I enjoy a more personal touch if I can find it. And I did with Charlie. He listened to my needs, answered my many questions, made solid suggestions & with all of the extra tuning he does I decided to buy a rig from him. As I said, I hope to have it next week: .25 AGT Uragan; Sightron S-Tac 4-20x50mm w/MOA-3 reticle; Bushell Signature Rings; Holland level; Donny FL Sumo moderator; Foster fitting on fill probe; Great White air tank with armor up package; & Accurizing & Tuning by Charlie

I’m wondering if any of you have experience with the Uragan and would be willing to share any of your tips/tricks/general information.

Thanks in advance ...

Why more tinkering?

If the gun has or will already be tuned by someone that apparently knows the gun by the time that you receive it, why do you want to do more ?

I have the Uragan Compact in .22. Off hand (at my short home distance), I can shoot a nickel sized hole (a magazines worth) with my compact. Though it is pellets sensitive, and I'm sure your guy (Charles) will inform you of what pellet that he's tuned it to, they are good shooters as they are. Get it in your hands, use if for a while, learn what pellet it like best, you...need to get used to it also.

Mike

Hi Mike -

Thanks for your response and comments.

It’s not really accurizing/tuning that I want to undertake since this will already be done by Charlie as you point out. Fortunately for me, Charlie seems to take great pride in his work and apparently wants to accurize & tune the rifles he sells to give his customers the most accurate & reliable airguns possible and, from what he tells me, he spends a good deal of time and effort on each one. After getting it all done and put together he will test various pellets to find a couple of pellets that the gun really likes and provides the test targets.

Accurizing & tuning aside, I’m always interested in learning what people know about the particular guns, the gun’s quirks, what you should and shouldn’t do, suggested maintenance & cleaning, their experiences with the guns, etc. So, anything more you can throw in since you use an Uragan .22 will be much appreciated.

BTW - you are a heck of a shot being able to string those kinds of groups together off hand! Kudos

Gary

Hello Shoot44 -

I’ve reread my original post and I’m not able to determine the source of or reason for your comment about ‘want your cake and eat it too’. I haven’t expressed any discontent with the rig ... can’t do that since I haven’t had it in my hands yet. I can, however, try to learn more about it, find out experiences that other owners have had with it, etc., which is exactly what I’m trying to do.

Gary

Yup I'm an Uragan standard .22 shooter/owner....in a word it's awesome. Highlights? Shot count 'n accuracy! My go to pellets are JSB 18.1's unleashed at 36, 50, 75 and 100 yards at paper and metal targets. Sooo much fun and when not disturbed by Mr. Windy groups easily covered by dimes, quarters 'n half dollars at those distances. For sure the most accurate PCP I've ever owned.

I used to own a Uragan compact. Sold it to a good friend & regretted it ever since.

I only had 2 complaints:

1. It was loud, but since you're getting the DonnyFL that won't be a problem. 
  2. The regulator is difficult to access and adjust, but since Charlie is tuning it for you that won't be a problem either.
    [/LIST=1]

I 💯 loved everything else about it, and chances are you will too!

It was a great off-hand shooter. Depending on which position & distance you plan on shooting those critters you may want a set of shooting sticks and/or a nice bipod.

Share some pics after you get it!

Hi Shoot44 -

No offense taken at all. I was just trying to figure out what might have made you think that.

And ... I appreciate the humor. With what’s going on in the world right now we need a lot more of it.

I am excited about my initial foray into the Airgun world and it’s going to be a lot of fun to be able to shoot off of my back porch!

I have a feeling this could be an evil addition!

Thanks

Thanks for the comments Michael.

I haven’t heard one so I wasn’t aware of the noise level; however, it will already have the Donny FL on it when I get it so i imagine the noise level will be fine.

Yup, I’ve gotten rid of things that I regretted way too many times so I’m definitely going to hold onto this one for a good long while before I make any decisions to get rid of it. Hopefully I’ll love it from the start and from what you say that’s a very good possibility.

I have some physical issues that make it hard for me to hold a long, heavy rifle/shotgun up for very long so I was looking for one that has a rear biased weight distribution and I’m hoping this will be a good fit. Some I looked at and thought I’d like were so long - 40” to 44” before adding a suppressor and I don’t think they would have worked out. I could have bought something a little lighter but, as I said, I’m hoping this relatively short rifle with more weight closer to my shoulder will work out well.

Hey ... you can always get another one!

I’ll follow with pics next week after I get it.

Thanks

Welcome to AGN, I have a Uragan .25, I love it, you won't find anything wrong with it, it does like JSB MKII's the best, they have a little kick to them, mines shooting around 850 fps, has great feel and balance and the trigger is excellent, you will like it, good luck and have fun with it, post the critters that you take on the Hunting forum, like to see what you get.....

Kevin 

Thanks for the welcome Kevin -

I‘ll update my feelings about my Uragan after I’ve had a chance to shoot it enough to form some worthwhile impressions. I’m looking forward to being able to shoot it off of my back porch without raising the ire of my neighbors. Having a little acreage helps but they do have regulations here prohibiting discharge of firearms. Seems to me that I could make the claim that an Airgun is not a firearm. I wonder if this is legitimate from a legal standpoint.

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome and, based on what you’ve said about yours, I’m sure I’ll be very happy with my Uragan.

Hi Carl -

I’ll sure report back after I’ve had time to run some rounds through it.

Funny you mention getting an Uragan after you move. Our moving is the reason that I’m getting an Airgun. We came from the city to a semi-rural area and have some pests on our property that I need to get under control, especially the coyotes that would make a snack out our our dog. I researched quite a few air rifles over the last month or so and, because of some physical limitations, I was drawn to rifles similar to the Uragan. My research kept turning up positive articles about the Uragan and I haven’t heard of many owners who don’t like it. Since I’m a good ways from anyplace to get a tank refill, the number of shots per refill is important to me. I ran across Charlie in my internet search and I called him since I usually prefer to deal with smaller companies. Man is he knowledgeable. But he’s also extremely nice and very patient - willing to spend a lot of time with his customers, which I find to be pretty rare. He also does what seems to me to be a custom tune on the airguns he sells at very little above the prices of big dealers. He really likes the Uragan and I’m betting that I will too.

Thanks for the welcome Carl.

Gary

Griswald, I read your original post word for word. You ordered a brand new gun, that coming set up custom for you, and being this is your first, you’re just inquiring on any advice from anyone that’s owned the uragan. I get it. Like best fill pressures, can it be over filled slightly to increase shot count, are the mags flawless, etc., etc. Yeah, as a first time PCP owner I’d want to know all the “heads up” stuff”.

Nowhere in your post did you even lead up to asking how to tweak on it or modify it. I don’t know how some folks just jumped to that conclusion. Maybe they read just the sentences of “first time pcp owner”, then “custom tune by Charlie” , then at the bottom saw the words “ is there anyone who can” and kaboom they assume you want to remodify an already tuned gun, and being this is your first, they probably foresee all the questions on inquiring about disassembly and such. 

I see both sides, as I think over the years we’ve all figured sometimes it’s just best to just shoot the gun and enjoy it as the manufacturer has designed it. Welcome to the best Airgun community, and please don’t let a few oddball suggestions steer you away. Hang out here long enough, and you will master that uragan and never touch your powder burners guns again, ha ha

Hi Bigragu -

Thanks for your comments and I’m glad that some people understood the nature of my question.

I’m a long time rifle/shotgun/pistol shooter and build AR’s and such so I’m very familiar with them. However, as I’ve said and as you picked up on, I’m a 1st time airgun owner and I know very little about them. And, with the setup I bought not being inexpensive, there are some basic things that I’d like to know before I use it for the first time I agree that it’s good to just shoot the gun for a while, learn it’s quirks, etc. but I sure don’t want to do anything that might damage it in the process ... such as filling it incorrectly, cleaning it incorrectly, not using proper tank procedures when filling, not using proper lubricants, etc. as well as learning things such as best pressure to fill the gun to (it’s a 300 bar setup), how far to let the gun tank pressure fall before filling, outside range limit to shoot an animal such as a coyote with a .25 caliber, fairly short gun such as mine, etc.

I’m not so easily offended that I’d take exception to the comments that were made - just thought they were a little odd and that those making the comments probably just didn’t read my post correctly/thoroughly.

I’ve always found the firearm and auto forums to which I subscribe to be great sources of information and I’m hoping this one will be the same.

Thanks,

Griswald

Hello Accuracy - 

That’s great to hear. I wondered what their service might be in the event of a problem.. In addition to the factory warranty, Georgia Airguns also gives a. Lifetime Warranty for blown seals/seal problems (I /believe that Charlie told me that seal problems are inevitable at some point and that he will repair these problems as long as I have the air rifle - I just pay the shipping). I’ll have to make sure I have the details correct but it’s nice that he does this anyway,

I looked at the Vulcan as well as the Uragan and, quite honestly, it was hard to make up my mind. I wanted a relatively short rifle due to my physical limitations and they both would have worked. Ultimately, it came down to the reviews I found on the Uragan and I like the style. Plus, I also like the increased round count of the Uragan since I live a fairly long way from the nearest source for 4,500 psi refills of my refill tank. The refill tank I bought is a pretty large capacity carbon fiber tank so that will help quite a bit.

Have you found your Vulcan to be pretty accurate? What caliber is it? What’s the longest range at which you typically shoot it? Have you shot many critters with it? If so, how well did it put them down? How loud is it? Do you run a ‘moderator’? Hope you don’t mind the questions but I am very curious about the AGT air rifles. Any other interesting things that you think I should know will be appreciated.,

Thanks,

Griswald