Just bought a Yong Heng Compressor, I have a question about the Oil Breather

One more quick question about the “digital temperature gauge”... if you can help. It came where I had to install this in myself so should I keep the wiring in the rubber band(nice and wrapped up so it’s not hanging), or should I take the rubber band off and let it hang(will it get too hot hanging and touching the insides)? Probably a stupid question but I don’t know which is best.

One more quick question about the “digital temperature gauge”... if you can help. It came where I had to install this in myself so should I keep the wiring in the rubber band(nice and wrapped up so it’s not hanging), or should I take the rubber band off and let it hang(will it get too hot hanging and touching the insides)? Probably a stupid question but I don’t know which is best.

Hi - and welcome. My answer to your question about the wire would be to keep it wrapped and zip tie it to the frame of the compressor. With the wire just hanging I'd be mostly worried about vibration causing undue stress on the wires and its connectors at each end.

Take the rubber band off, insert the wire down through the casing and out by the compressor head. The silver end of that wire then gets inserted into the small hole at the base of the second stage, which is directly across from the handle just above the case. the silver end is the temperature probe. If not installed in the head where the temp needs to be monitored, all you will be measuring is the air temp inside the casing, and the head will overheat and the life will be shortened.

Well said briceclark - on the back of the shiny cylinder head (at the same level as your YH handle), you'll find a tiny hole which is where your temperature probe need to be fully inserted. Rather than glue it in place permanently, on mine I bent the wire at 90 degrees so it touches the handle - keeping the probe fully inserted in the head. It's important to be sure it's in all the way or the heat from the piston head won't conduct its heat into the temperature probe, perhaps fooling you into thinking all is cool when it's really HOT!

Bonus tip - the assembly where the probe is inserted on the opposite side where the water inlet hose is located, between the first stage (big piston) and the second state (tiny high-pressure piston the size of a pencil). So where to you think the hottest place is on the YH? Turns out the big piston gets quite hot between the black radiating/cooling fins. But as expected, hottest of all is the top of the second stage piston where the pressure is strongest - that stainless steel tube that goes into the aluminum block, the emergency burst disk assembly and out to the hose.

https://youtu.be/YjsBcKSVeGk?t=445 (7:30)

The point is, the digital temperature we're reading, isn't the hottest temperature of the compressor but it's a reasonable balance between the water trying to cool the head and the hot pistons.

Good luck, Michael