• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Just been talked out of an FX Crown

I am looking for a .30 cal and called about the Crown at one of the majors suppliers. He asked if I was going to be doing any hunting in the field and I replied yes that's mostly why I wanted it. He told me the Crown has an inherent weakness where the barrel ties into the receiver and the Crown is more suited for the bench only. Anyone else heard of this "weakness' with the Crown?

I have a synthetic Crown in .25 caliber. You can absolutely hunt with it if you want. The barrel is free floating so technically it can be bumped or God forbid, bent, should you drop the rifle or abuse it in the field. However, the synthetic stock version is perfectly capable of being used for hunting. I hunt with mine and I have not had any issues with it.

Certainly, the barrels on the Crown are held by two screws in the receiver, which when unscrewed allows you to pull out the barrel and replace it with a different caliber if you so choose. But it's no worse than any other air rifle with a free floating barrel system.

The question you need to answer is: am I going to be walking through the thick bush/woods with this air rifle to hunt? Or am I hunting with it from my back yard or in a relatively open environment where I'm not going to be banging it around into things.

If you're going to be walking/stalking through woods, etc, and are worried about knocking your gun around, I'd look at a bullpup configuration for a more compact setup.

This is just my opinion, but if you are only looking for a hunting rifle, I would go with an Impact that has the same features as the crown. It will be more light-weight, smaller to maneuver, and easier to shoot off-hand. If you are a traditional rifle guy, you might want to save your money and look at the Streamline. This rifle is overlooked but has great reviews. When hunting, sometimes less is more (less to go wrong in the field).

I am looking for a .30 cal and called about the Crown at one of the majors suppliers. He asked if I was going to be doing any hunting in the field and I replied yes that's mostly why I wanted it. He told me the Crown has an inherent weakness where the barrel ties into the receiver and the Crown is more suited for the bench only. Anyone else heard of this "weakness' with the Crown?

Did they have the .30 Crown in stock or did they not have the .30 Crown but they did have something "better" to sell you?

Noland

Hunting mostly from a 5X5 shooting house so just climbing a few steps. Currently using my HW100 and I have banged it a time or two nothing serious. Seems salesperson implying it wouldn't take much to knock the barrel out of alignment.

NMshooter, Mp44

I do like a rifle but wanted something a little shorter than the HW100. Impact just seems too complicated. Not a tinkerer. He suggested a Bobcat. Streamline not in .30 cal. 

Do tell, which dealer? You were'nt "chatting" with an "expert" while shopping a web site were you? We all know about the knowledge level of the browser reading helpful "expert". IF you were "chatting" I think I get it. If talking with a dealer on the phone ( actual a store employee) let's get some more facts. If a chat expert maybe they saw a post somewhere & thought it knowledge?

The only thing that came to mind reading the OP was Harry's rifle

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/yrrahs-fx-crown-arrived-to-my-dealer-today-how-do-i-feel/

but I'm pretty sure that was shipping damage and the only one so far?

John

Looking at the Crown, I can see where you would not want to SMACK the end of the barrel against a tree, but short of that, it would just be your skill level as to what you could take with that in a .30 cal. Not to mention the long range accuracy for a little target work. I don't have one, so I guess that puts me in the peanut gallery! 

I've bent a springer barrel once by having it slip as I was cocking it. It was not a big deal to "readjust". 

I've looked at the Vulcan 2 Tactic .30 cal with what little info is out there. It is 35.4 inches long which seems like a good compromise between a bull pup and a rifle. It has a nine shot magazine. I hunt mostly at night with a thermal scope so a single shot doesn't work in the dark and I'm talking about can't see your hand in front of your face dark. The Crown with the 14 shot mag. is appealing if I could just order the threaded barrel option with shroud and brackets! LOL When I look at the Impact it just seems like I need to put on a shirt and tie to shoot it or frame it and hang it in the den. But hey, part of the fun is deciding. 

If you are walking tree lines, trails or just sitting in some thicket there is nothing wrong with a crown but if you plan on walking heavy brush,brier,and stuff like that then there are better options, also if your rabbit ,squirrel and small bird hunting there are quite a few nice 25 cals that would work a lot better then a select few 30 cals but if your going to be after skunks,raccoons,fox or yotes then to me the 30 is a better option then the 25 but that’s my opinion, I have two .25s rifle and bull pup, .30 rifle and bull pup, 357 rifle and a 45 Texan so I have all my hunting and bench needs met, my go to hunting airguns are my Wildcat .25 and my ( HMx .30 for now ) both have a certain purpose in my hunting needs when it comes to smaller game.

Good luck and I’m sure you’ll find what you need to do what you want it to do.

This is just my opinion, but if you are only looking for a hunting rifle, I would go with an Impact that has the same features as the crown. It will be more light-weight, smaller to maneuver, and easier to shoot off-hand. If you are a traditional rifle guy, you might want to save your money and look at the Streamline. This rifle is overlooked but has great reviews. When hunting, sometimes less is more (less to go wrong in the field).

I own an Impact and this would not be my first choice to hunt with. (Depending on the quarry?

I think for general hunting I would choose the Warcat II. (But I'm a bullpup type of person)

Plenty of people hunt with a crown. Sure, the impact and other bullpups are more compact but there’s nothing wrong with the crown.

I wonder if they didn’t have any .30 Crowns in stock and wanted to steer you toward something they had available?

I just appreciated the guy being honest and giving me his opinion on what I assume is him maybe seeing some issues on returned Crowns. Or maybe he thought I was some energetic twenty something year old that was gonna put the gun thru the jungle torture test. Should have mentioned I'm 70 and can't out run a slug. 

"...Should have mentioned I'm 70 and can't out run a slug."

~~~~~~~~~

Maybe your 'hunting style" is similar to this 63 year old's:

I sit on my deck with my favorite gun on a tripod, picking off any pests within 50 yards -- the safe distance in my subdivision. My 8 foot high privacy fence doesn't hurt my "hunting strategy".?

P.S. Spaz is a great Jack Russell Terrier retriever.