• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

Just a lil JSAR Raptor update

So a while back I was keen on getting some info posted on some of the tuning and shot counts I was getting out of my Raptor and my general experience with it. That was like a month ago. I know a few said they were looking forward to seeing some additional information so I just wanted to give an update on why that hasn't happened yet. The next day I took my gun out to shoot, my pressure had leaked down. I refilled and went to shoot and was getting erratic numbers, 150fps spread kind of numbers. It was leaking down quickly after that, completely empty after a couple hours. It would not take air after that. I tore it down and found the valve would stick open because the striker pin was mushroomed out ever so slightly. A difference of 0.07mm or 0.003in from the tip to the face of the valve. I communicated with Jacob and he suggested I try to reseat the valve, but I decided to send it in for them to check it out and rebuild it due to the striker pin sticking. This was a month ago. He did contact me when they received it so as of now they have had it for 3 weeks. I reached out last saturday to see if they had gotten a chance to get to it and have not received a response yet. I know they are close to Seattle and its pretty chaotic up there so I am giving them benefit of doubt. I hope they are safe and unaffected by that mess. I really like the Raptor and I want to add the 357 setup when they become available, so I don't really have anything negative to say about the gun, I know there are hiccups with new designs. Once I get it back I may see about getting a titanium striker pin made for it. That said, I am trying to look at this as an exercise in patience. It is, after all, quite the virtue and something many, including myself, are lacking these days. Hopefully JSAR will pull thru this trying time and be better for it, maybe be able to pick up an additional employee to help handle communications and customer service. I'll keep you guys updated as everything progresses.

Also if anyone has a Raptor and would like a single shot tray printed, I made a fairly decent one. I currently have .177 and .30 designs ready to print. It wouldn't be too much trouble to change them for .22 and .25, just might take a few tries. 

1593092076_7387797875ef4a7eca84c99.68937625.jpg

Thanks for letting us know. I suspect that you will get it back in excellent condition but that it will be awhile. Those guys were in production of a new gun and working out the kinks and then covid hit them and now riots, unrest and General bugger is afoot. I think your right to cut them some slack. I guess we will find out in a couple of weeks huh? I love jsar products I think they are rad. 

Here is couple pics of the mods I made to the cheek riser section. A little time with a chainsaw file and now I have an additional 1/4" or so of downward movement. If JSAR could make a small adjustment to the design the riser could be set all the way down to almost flush with the buffer tube.

1593103064_21154142605ef4d2d8104849.25315501.jpg
here I got a round chainsaw file and brought the slots up to the pad allowing to get better scope alignment. If the part could be redesigned so that the screw holes and alignment bump were at the bottom of the tube assembly

1593103130_18442102165ef4d31aed2708.68060098.jpg
I also took the corners off the part it mounts too. This just helped it fit better. The part would need to be rounded out to match the rest of the profile in addition to moving the bump and screw holes down to be much more adjustable. Before even with high mounts and the riser set all the way down, with my fat head I still couldn't get good eye alignment. The fit is perfect now. I also epoxied a piece of rubber to the butt stock cause that plastic bit is slicker'n pig snot. Now it sits where I set it.

I knew I had it written down some where, but when I did have my Raptor together I sent a few of the 73gr Griffin slugs down range. I still had my hammer spring set about as light as I could and the dwell was set for pretty short, I just turned the reg up to what I had available in the tank at the time, 2400psi and was able to send them at 829, 826, 827 which is right around 110fpe. And like I said that is with it setup for an efficient 75fpe with jsb 44's. So, yes, I absolutely believe that 160fpe is possible with the longer barrel and higher tube pressure(4000psi) of the titanium tube on the HP. I have no doubt that 160 is possible with the regular Raptor and the normal chromoly tube(3000psi).

lol.. for $10 less they could put a "Luth-AR MBA-3 clone" (yea 'clone' is part of the name of the part) which seems like it would be a much nicer overall fit.. I've been thinking about a real Luth-AR MBA-3. Straight from Luth-AR, made in america, they are only $160 full retail. Its polymer so I guess some might be offended and cry "but its plastic", yea so is a glock. I just weighed the stock chinese piece and it comes in at 15.2oz. The Luth-AR comes in at 19.2oz. I would be willing to bet that an additional 4oz in the butt would either not be noticeable or would help how it shoulders. Guess now I know my next upgrade. I think it looks good and they have really good reviews, plus the reviews are from guys using them on AR's. I feel like they might catch a bit more abuse on a powder burner than an air rifle. 

1593469022_17966692955efa685ef34a18.52322666.jpg

I've also got some way too big but super readable gauges, one on the way, one already here. Both are 1.5" diameter oil filled, a 0-5000 (for the bottle side) and a 0-3000 (for the reg side) they just stand out a full 1.5". The scale takes up the almost entire face so changes of 50psi are pretty apparent. 50psi on the 3000 gauge is a full mm on the scale. I've currently got one of the JoeB 0-5000 rejects from ebay and a different used one from some hpa breathing something or nother, but both are 1.5" diameter and on both of them the scale only takes up about a third of the face. According to my Yong Heng gauge the JoeB is off by about 200psi reading higher than the YH gauge. Kinda hard looking at 3 different gauges so I didn't really catch if the other one is any more accurate. I guess having a 200psi buffer isn't all that bad, but I do like me some accuracy. Should get them on this weekend and see if its any better.