• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Jumping into Benchrest, will a old Airforce Talon work?

Hey all,

Im planning on joining a local benchrest group to meet fellow airgunners. It would be a first for me. I dont have any "High end " guns, but I do have some great shooters. I have a great member on this board building me out some great QB shooters for me, but in the meantime I can use a new old stock screw on AF Talon with an .177 18" barrel. I will be shooting 25M. The only thing Ive bought so far is a dovetail rail to raise the scope for a more comfortable scope view. 

What could I buy for it to make it a great shooter like maybe a .20 or .22 barrel? Then what FPS? Lost of questions, so Im asking for your opinions, what would you do to a AF Talon to make it 25M benchrest ready?

Thanks,

Phil

That 177 should be just fine as-is since it has a Lothar Walther match grade barrel on it and you probably want to try the 13.4 grain JSB Monster or the Monster Redesigns. Surely ONE would work better. Maybe even the 10.34 grain JSB Heavy with the 4.52 head size. Or just use the pellets you already know are best for your gun that you can confidentially shoot hole in hole at 25 yards with. It's only 25 yards, not like you're shooting 100 yards where you actually need an expensive high end gun like a Daystate Redwolf HP in order to be competitive. 

Buy a decent scope for it perhaps something with at least a 20x or higher. You can even get by with an Amazon $45.99 Pinty 6-24×50 no kidding this is a decent scope with a 15 yard focus or perhaps you already have something 20x or higher so no need to spend.

If after this, you decide to go all-in and have the means to comfortably do so without any threat of your wife divorcing you Or losing your house then it has to be at least a Daystate Redwolf HP with a Nightforce scope and also the Daystate programmer.

Any airgun that you can shoot 35+ shots on the same charge accurately is good for starters so long as its under about 35fpe and not over .22 cal. In most of the 25M matches.

get a few windflags and a simple front rest or bipod, and a drummers throne or low stool to start ... you can add or change Stuff once you decide you want to keep going with it.

1593826103_11264228345effdb37ddc003.83894616.jpg
It should work great and since you don't need a lot of power if you regulated the gun with a altaros regulator with the plenum and a 350cc carbon fiber bottle it should be up to par of anything in that match..I will strongly recommend a wocguard to stiffer the frame and it will allow you to better position your trigger finger obviously depending on the grip size purchased....factory grip really sucks.if you have bigger hands..