JTS Dead Center Pellet, pretty impressive stuff

Sure would be nice if companies had a system to have one pellet from each mold in the die deposited into its own container.

That way each pellet will be as close to next one in a tin instead of pellets from all the molds of the die being in the tin all being slightly different.

Also it'd be nice if there was slightly more hardness given to the lead mixture so pellets don't get damaged so much in packaging and shipment.

Reactions: RAMJET66
Sure would be nice if companies had a system to have one pellet from each mold in the die deposited into its own container.

That way each pellet will be as close to next one in a tin instead of pellets from all the molds of the die being in the tin all being slightly different.

Also it'd be nice if there was slightly more hardness given to the lead mixture so pellets don't get damaged so much in packaging and shipment.
Agree with you Steve. However, you can already buy harder pellets if you use H&N. I've been shooting the .177 H&N Barracuda Match in my FT rig (Daystate Pulsar) and the pellets rarely have any damage. The only downside even though they are just as accurate as the JSB 10.34 is that the H&N have a lower BC...

We manufacture pellets and slugs in small production batches (40,000 - 100,000 pellets, depending on caliber and weight). All pellets in a tin come from the same lot and of course from the same machine and die.

Best regards

Jörg

We manufacture pellets and slugs in small production batches (40,000 - 100,000 pellets, depending on caliber and weight). All pellets in a tin come from the same lot and of course from the same machine and die.

Best regards

Jörg

If H&N truly exceeds JSB in quality and uniformity I'm all for it.

You should develop a 30-ish grain 22 cal pellet that exceeds the JSB 25.4gr MRD in BC and precision capabilities paying special attention to eliminated the flyers these produce. Then leave it well enough alone instead of changing it like JSB has done more than several times.

Heck do the same as above with all calibers, slightly heavier pellet, higher BC, flies like it should, more consistent quality, etc.

Then test and also state on your website what twist barrels work best for each of these heavier pellets.

There is an ever increasing need for better pellets for competitors these days.

If H&N truly exceeds JSB in quality and uniformity I'm all for it.

You should develop a 30-ish grain 22 cal pellet that exceeds the JSB 25.4gr MRD in BC and precision capabilities paying special attention to eliminated the flyers these produce. Then leave it well enough alone instead of changing it like JSB has done more than several times.

Heck do the same as above with all calibers, slightly heavier pellet, higher BC, flies like it should, more consistent quality, etc.

Then test and also state on your website what twist barrels work best for each of these heavier pellets.

There is an ever increasing need for better pellets for competitors these days.
Heavy pellets are not simple to get working well. The problem is that making them heavier tends to move the CG back which reduces the aerodynamic stability, possibly making the pellet neutrally stable at some speeds. This is very bad for barrel fussiness and thus possible group sizes. Overall length could be increased, but this would probably increase drag and make them unsuitable for some magazines.

Heavy pellets are not simple to get working well. The problem is that making them heavier tends to move the CG back which reduces the aerodynamic stability, possibly making the pellet neutrally stable at some speeds. This is very bad for barrel fussiness and thus possible group sizes. Overall length could be increased, but this would probably increase drag and make them unsuitable for some magazines.

OK good to know. So we've already reached the pinnacle of shapes as far as pellets go??

And darn, then I guess that means we're stuck with about a max .05 G1 BC for pellets ?!

I bet most stuff in your house is "Made in China"
I’m still packen some Chi Comm Schrapnell I picked up in Vietnam so my lens is a bit foggy seeing my way to buying any lead from them .🥴
Many good alternatives out there. Just an old Veterans perspective. But all are free to make their own choices.

OK good to know. So we've already reached the pinnacle of shapes as far as pellets go??

And darn, then I guess that means we're stuck with about a max .05 G1 BC for pellets ?!
If you don't use a magazine or have a larger magazine, then you can make pellets longer and still have a hollow section at the back, there is no aerodynamic limit. As the mass is increased the sectional density will increase driving up the BC, so you are not necessarily limited in maximum BC.

Incidently, you should never use the G1 drag law for pellet BC's. As speeds increase, the drag curve is the wrong shape giving falling BC values as speeds increase, meaning multiple BC values are needed. For round head pellets, use the GA or GA2 drag laws, which are better suited for pellet designs. G1 should also not be used for slugs as again it is the wrong shape curve as speeds approach 950ft/sec giving false BC values, this time giving increasing BC's.

Reactions: steve123
I’m still packen some Chi Comm Schrapnell I picked up in Vietnam so my lens is a bit foggy seeing my way to buying any lead from them .🥴
Many good alternatives out there. Just an old Veterans perspective. But all are free to make their own choices.

Just a reminder: If you just posted a reply on a cell phone, tablet, laptop or PC, you already buy asian products from the world market. There are Zero platforms made in the USA.

Welcome to a world market.

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
If you don't use a magazine or have a larger magazine, then you can make pellets longer and still have a hollow section at the back, there is no aerodynamic limit. As the mass is increased the sectional density will increase driving up the BC, so you are not necessarily limited in maximum BC.

Incidently, you should never use the G1 drag law for pellet BC's. As speeds increase, the drag curve is the wrong shape giving falling BC values as speeds increase, meaning multiple BC values are needed. For round head pellets, use the GA or GA2 drag laws, which are better suited for pellet designs. G1 should also not be used for slugs as again it is the wrong shape curve as speeds approach 950ft/sec giving false BC values, this time giving increasing BC's.

Those pellet makers should be hiring you to design their higher BC pellets.

I use the old SHOOTER app with G1, also use mil scopes, both for pellets and slugs. I might be off a bit here and there by a click or two at normal distances so I adjust the BC, scope height, and fps to compensate as close I can which amounts to being a click off at 10Y but I memorize that. I can still win matches sometimes???, very close dope however I'd like an app to be near perfect.....
I tried using stepped G1 BC's in my app but for some reason I can't seem to get it working right for pellets ??

Which ballistic apps offer the GA and GA2 drag laws? And do these drag laws also work better for standard velocity 40gr 22rf?

Thanks for the info!

All the latest drag laws are available here. https://gpc.fotosoft.co.uk/ There are a number of ballistic apps on this site, and they are all free. The developer is an airgun shooter who produces the software out of interest. He adds new drag laws whenever I produce one. The SLG0 drag law still needs data, so use it with caution if you model slugs, though so far it has been promising.

For 22rf, use the RA4 drag law.

"There are Zero platforms made in the USA."
This may be true of many electronics, but that doesn't mean that other products MUST be bought from overseas.
Do you think that overseas manufacturers pay ANY attention to ecological issues or working conditions? I think not.
The US products cost more due to laws, ecologic restrictions and higher wages. I'm okay with that if a product is available, I don't mind paying more if it keeps my 'neighbors' busy working.
I don't have to justify buying overseas products just to convince myself that it's the right thing to do to save money.

• Haha
Reactions: Firewalker
Just a reminder: If you just posted a reply on a cell phone, tablet, laptop or PC, you already buy asian products from the world market. There are Zero platforms made in the USA.

Welcome to a world market.
True enough. Can’t hardly get through a day with out using or purchasing Chi Comm products.
However me and my friends weren’t shot at and hit by an email or text from a cell phone . It was lead and or steel and we were certain it wasn’t manufactured by any at the nations we were fighting with.
We both have valid points . But from my perspective , when it comes to lead pellets i try to not get them from some place other than the sworn enemy of my nation .
You may be relieved to know however I do order Chinese food take out.
Be well Brother

True enough. Can’t hardly get through a day with out using or purchasing Chi Comm products.
However me and my friends weren’t shot at and hit by an email or text from a cell phone . It was lead and or steel and we were certain it wasn’t manufactured by any at the nations we were fighting with.
We both have valid points . But from my perspective , when it comes to lead pellets i try to not get them from some place other than the sworn enemy of my nation .
You may be relieved to know however I do order Chinese food take out.
Be well Brother

"There are Zero platforms made in the USA."
This may be true of many electronics, but that doesn't mean that other products MUST be bought from overseas.
Do you think that overseas manufacturers pay ANY attention to ecological issues or working conditions? I think not.
The US products cost more due to laws, ecologic restrictions and higher wages. I'm okay with that if a product is available, I don't mind paying more if it keeps my 'neighbors' busy working.
I don't have to justify buying overseas products just to convince myself that it's the right thing to do to save money.

Says the guy that just posted on a device that was made by those you pine on about. That just makes you a hypocrite, just like the rest of us.

Climb on down that ivory tower my friend, those USA products you go on about were made with globally sourced materials, sub assemblies made overseas and just some minimum wage kid in the US is adding the last 4 screws and slapping on a Made in the USA sticker on it to make all the nationalists feel better about their role in a heritage that is made in a melting pot from around the world.

"Climb on down that ivory tower my friend, those USA products you go on about were made with globally sourced materials, sub assemblies made overseas and just some minimum wage kid in the US is adding the last 4 screws and slapping on a Made in the USA sticker on it to make all the nationalists feel better about their role in a heritage that is made in a melting pot from around the world."
So, you're stating that it's okay to make another country, that doesn't agree with our philosophy, a more rich and powerful country leaving the US behind.
Well played buddy, well played. I'm glad that you're okay with that, I'm not.