• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

JTS Airicuda max vs Maraurder for 1st PCP

In 2023 I think anyone who has followed the JTS threads would have to side with the Marauder for the extra money. I was seriously thinking about buying something inexpensive as my first PCP to familiarize myself with the platform. Before I spend larger $$$ on something for Field Target. The JTS seemed like the ticket, very cheap and good reviews (the problems with reviews is that they aren't long term) though that damn ping was painful to hear. But after reading the threads I realized that there's a difference between familiarization and becoming an expert because you're rebuilding something to repair deficiencies. The Marauder is more expensive, but the JTS seems to require that I own a Dremel to fix the stock. And de-ping and....though perhaps there is value as an educational tool.

I've shot the Marauder before and found it an accurate and comfortable rifle and not too loud unmoderated, though I would definitely add one. I looked to see if I could find an mrod used for cheap and while that was a bust, I did see the huge array of aftermarket parts for them on ebay and elsewhere. As others on this thread have suggested.

In the end I've decided to just save my money and buy something higher up the food chain.

Reactions: 450BM and jmohme
And de-ping
I was under the impression that the ping was addressed prior to mass production?
at least for the standard...what is wrong with the stock on the max? is there an issue with the standard stock?
reason I ask is because I just purchased the standard Airacuda in .25...
now I would take a dremel or such to the Max stock to make it fit my standard...it's just plain sexy.

I would prefer the antiquated but robust Mrod personally. But if it were me I would go for the Craftsman series Crosman guns like the Akela or Cayden with a 5 year warranty and parts support. I owned a Cayden and loved it. It isn't regulated but it doesn't need it though. 60 very consistent shots. Mine got 72!
Fully agree. I do have the Cayden, and I am STILL as impressed as the day I got it.

There are threads about issues with the stock fitting here:

https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/airacuda-updates.1276632/page-12

And on de-pinging here:

https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/need-to-de-ping-my-jts-standard.1278511/

There's other threads, etc. I don't know what the current standard is, I see on the updates thread that the manufacturer drops out of the thread. Perhaps only talking to owners directly at that point. Sometimes it's hard to tell what the current story is.

There are other rifles, the Avenger etc. Just got excited about JTS then read all the threads here and thought, "No." It's too bad the JTS Max doesn't come in the regular stock. I would prefer that, but that's an aesthetics issue not a performance issue. I think from a beginner perspective there's also use case to think of. My goal is FT and I can afford a better rifle and would be fine with just one. Someone else may have other needs so their mileage may vary.

Reactions: AirDevil
There are threads about issues with the stock fitting here:

https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/airacuda-updates.1276632/page-12

And on de-pinging here:

https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/need-to-de-ping-my-jts-standard.1278511/

There's other threads, etc. I don't know what the current standard is, I see on the updates thread that the manufacturer drops out of the thread. Perhaps only talking to owners directly at that point. Sometimes it's hard to tell what the current story is.

There are other rifles, the Avenger etc. Just got excited about JTS then read all the threads here and thought, "No." It's too bad the JTS Max doesn't come in the regular stock. I would prefer that, but that's an aesthetics issue not a performance issue. I think from a beginner perspective there's also use case to think of. My goal is FT and I can afford a better rifle and would be fine with just one. Someone else may have other needs so their mileage may vary.
ouch...not sure how I missed those threads.Thanks.
Hopefully all goes well with mine when it arrives Saturday ...otherwise back for a return and giving the origin or the Avenger another look, but plastic and hollow are not a favorite type of build for myself.

@AirDevil
I agree, the synthetic stock thing is not for me, either. The wood Avenger starts to get close to Marauder price but the Avenger is louder. The Avenger tear down video on youtube was interesting, but not compelling. The upcoming Avenge-X looks like an advancement, though. I'm planning a trip to AZ in March and will try out a few things at AoA. But I'm looking at a much higher price point.

The comparison should be more with the Standard and the Marauder ( had both in .25 )
Standard : lighter, slimmer way more ergonomic
........much better magazines, much better
........butter smooth sidelever vs crunchy bolt action
........5 point transfer port external adjustments
........more power stock
comes with a seal kit in the box! extra orings