JSB slugs update

Had a return email from JSB 

Hi Mitch, 

Many thanks for your e-mail. 

As for the slugs. We have been working on this project for almost a year but we haven’t been successful with the design yet. We should have another several sets of samples in about two weeks and hope some of them will prove a good performance finally so we can start with production as soon as possible. 

Many thanks for your support and understanding!

Best regards, 

Pavel Kolebac
JSB Match Diabolo

Neilson is producing @ pellet prices!

My calculator must be broken. In .177, NSA slugs are 3 to 5 times the cost of pellets. I have several weights of Nielsen's slugs. They appear to be very well made and I will almost certainly purchase more. But they certainly aren't "at pellet prices", at least in .177 cal.

I believe he's referring to the new machine ran slugs. The .250 275 ct $ 18.99 & the 29 gr .249 300 ct @ 18.99.

The older 100 ct pricing yeah, but the new offerings are right around pellet prices 

I am a bit behind on slugs. How effective/ineffective would it be to use a slug in standard twist, x-twist, or LW type barrels vs. slug liners? Would some slugs perform equally/or better compared to a pellet using a non-slug liner barrel?

Slugs normally do not shoot well in the standard or twist-x barrels. Not sure about the LW but most slugs will not shoot well from a tightly choked barrel. Some slugs are made for individual barrels of a certain brand of gun. So there are a many things to consider before purchasing. Best to find someone else that has already done the testing for you. ;^) Still the tune of your gun can make a huge difference in the accuracy of a slug from 2" at 100 meters to half inch at the same distance when properly tuned. Slugs in the right barrel with a proper tune will match or best pellet accuracy out to 100 yards and then outperform them handily from then on. Slugs will always out perform pellets if there is any wind.

It can take a few hundred slugs a lot of time and patients to tune your gun for slug use and once there you need to leave the settings the same and shoot the same slug if you want to keep the accuracy.

......We should have another several sets of samples in about two weeks and hope some of them will prove a good performance finally.....

Is the process trial and error or deliberate design? Am I reading it wrong?

No you are not reading it wrong. Some of the process is trial and error. You have to do testing and if it does not pass the test you change something and start over.

Reactions: fe7565
Yes the tuning is for a certain velocity in a way. It is dependent on the harmonics of the gun and called harmonic tuning. bob-0 put it this way and I found it to werq quite well.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/slug-tuning-calling-all-slug-experts/#post-526754

I start out at 30-50fps above the velocity I want the gun to shoot.

I then shoot at dots at 30yards or so three shots at each dot.

If the projectiles do not go through the same exact hole, it does not matter where the hole is on the target, I turn my valve adjuster down slightly like an eighth to a quarter of a turn and shoot again.

Repeat until three shots go through the same hole.

Once three shots go through the same hole then I immediately shoot out to 100yards looking for a sub MOA group so there can't be much wind.

If the group is sub MOA I am there nirvana for that projectile at that velocity and those settings.

If the group is not sub MOA then I go back to shooting the dots again.

If I end up at some ridiculously low velocity or am unable to get three through the same hole I change my reg like 5bar or so, turn the valve adjust out and start over.

It takes a couple of hundred slugs to do this if you watch your air and do not fall off of the reg or have other problems.

I had problems so it took me near 400 slugs to get a decent tune sub MOA at 100 yards. Then a couple of days later I shot through the chrony and it said 740fps so I had to do it all again. After a few tries I ended up with a good tune at just under 920fps with NSA 33.5 HP slugs at 135-140bar. I shoot many sub MOA groups at 100 yards now and I plink at paint cans at 200 yards hitting them near 50% of the time.

Neilson is producing @ pellet prices!

My calculator must be broken. In .177, NSA slugs are 3 to 5 times the cost of pellets. I have several weights of Nielsen's slugs. They appear to be very well made and I will almost certainly purchase more. But they certainly aren't "at pellet prices", at least in .177 cal.

I believe he's referring to the new machine ran slugs. The .250 275 ct $ 18.99 & the 29 gr .249 300 ct @ 18.99.

The older 100 ct pricing yeah, but the new offerings are right around pellet prices

I see that on his site now. Unfortunately not listed for .177 so it was an overly broad statement originally. I'd love to see more .177 options at that price point.

It will be interesting to see what JSB come up with. I don’t know what they have planned but it’s not an easy task to develop a slug that is going to shoot well and suit a majority of slug shooters needs. I’m thinking they aren’t going to want to have a large range of weights, bases,hollow points, nose shapes, diameter ect. 

I know a lot of shoots are waiting for the mass produced and economically more viable slugs to hit the market but if I lived in the US I’d be supporting NSA for sure. They offer such a wide range and will custom make specific weights if you ask. Nick has invested $ into high speed machines to bring the price down also. That’s service that is hard to beat!

JSB bought a MKII IMPACT from FX for testing, they have also realised that its a very "hit and miss affair" even with a liner supposedly designed to shoot slugs.

It's no good producing a slug that is meant to suit all but doesn't which is the direction JSB are trying to go in.

Daystate have produced a slug barrel in conjunction with LW and you should see this in testing fairly soon, it may even be mentioned in some recent videos, Laity has 600mm and 700mm versions but only in .22 & .25 at the moment, .30 will be a little later, there is whole bunch of NIELSEN slugs due for testing with these barrels.

It will be interesting to see what JSB come up with. I don’t know what they have planned but it’s not an easy task to develop a slug that is going to shoot well and suit a majority of slug shooters needs. I’m thinking they aren’t going to want to have a large range of weights, bases,hollow points, nose shapes, diameter ect. 

I know a lot of shoots are waiting for the mass produced and economically more viable slugs to hit the market but if I lived in the US I’d be supporting NSA for sure. They offer such a wide range and will custom make specific weights if you ask. Nick has invested $ into high speed machines to bring the price down also. That’s service that is hard to beat!

I agree with supporting NSA or VK , It would be nice if they could import to one of the big airgun shops or pellet out lets in the UK

I agree with supporting NSA or VK , It would be nice if they could import to one of the big airgun shops

NSA carried online at Krale 

https://www.krale.shop/en/sport-shooting/guns/air-rifles.html