JSB redesigned 25.39 shallow???

Well I was anxious to get my hands on some of the NEW JSB SHALLOW pellets. I picked up a couple tins and both tins had the same base configuration. I have 4 sorted different JSB 25.39 designs to show what I'm talking about.. The first from left to right I will call a modern deep base, those are in the tins I have bought lately.The second is a pre 2019 shallow base. The third is a medium base, I'm not sure exactly when I bought these but I'm thinking around 2020.The forth are the 2024 NEW SHALLOW BASE, they appear to me, like the medium base pellets.
They are NOT SHALLOW, IF you compare them to the original pre 2019 shallow base pellets.
To be fair I haven't shot them how to see how they fly, but they will probably perform like the mid base pellets and not like the shallow pellets...being they look identical.
But my RAW and Daystates shoot the original shallow base better than the others.
Maybe these new ones will surprise me, but they look identical to medium base pellets.

20240306_162427_HDR.jpg

Based on this article I found from Hard Air Magazine, the only New pellet is the MRD Grands. The Shallow and Deep MRD's are just the other MRD's renamed.

To quote the article
The Redesigned, shallow skirt JSB Jumbo Monsters are the same as current production.

The Redesigned Deep Skirt JSB Jumbo Monsters are a return to the original “Redesigned” pattern, with deep, thin skirts.

These “heavier than heavy” Monsters are a new introduction and are clearly designed to keep pace with the ever-increasing power levels of .22 caliber PCP air rifles. ( Grands )

FYI... I also found this article explaining JSB's Pellet naming convention

Reactions: Richieg
This is the thing about JSB that drives me crazy. I have a new tin of 25.39 Redesigned. In the tin are two different pellets. A medium based pellet, I think are now being called the shallow and a deep base pellet, I think are the ones they are now calling deep. But WHY do they put them both in 1 tin.🤬

20240307_093729.jpg

Last edited:
Based on this article I found from Hard Air Magazine, the only New pellet is the MRD Grands. The Shallow and Deep MRD's are just the other MRD's renamed.

To quote the article
The Redesigned, shallow skirt JSB Jumbo Monsters are the same as current production.

The Redesigned Deep Skirt JSB Jumbo Monsters are a return to the original “Redesigned” pattern, with deep, thin skirts.

These “heavier than heavy” Monsters are a new introduction and are clearly designed to keep pace with the ever-increasing power levels of .22 caliber PCP air rifles. ( Grands )

FYI... I also found this article explaining JSB's Pellet naming convention
Thanks for the article. I wish I would have read that before buying the new tins branded shallow. I already have several tins of the medium base that they are now calling shallow. Oh well....😉

Reactions: scottg0814
This is the thing about JSB that drives me crazy. I have a new tin of 25.39 Redesigned. In the tin are two different pellets. A medium based pellet, I think are now being called the shallow and a deep base pellet, I think are the ones they are now calling deep. But WHY do they put them both in 1 tin.🤬

View attachment 443277

I blame it on the mean old half blind Babushka's working at the factory:p

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jeffhernandez
Thanks for the article. I wish I would have read that before buying the new tins branded shallow. I already have several tins of the medium base that they are now calling shallow. Oh well....😉
Luckily, I saw the article as I too have many tins of both. I'll get ahold of some Grands at some point. Maybe they'll shoot well in the Red Wolf 🤞 I just got the RW, haven't tried the other MRD's yet... OH!! WAIT... WHAT? I should be doing that NOW!! :) Hold my beer... :ROFLMAO:

Luckily, I saw the article as I too have many tins of both. I'll get ahold of some Grands at some point. Maybe they'll shoot well in the Red Wolf 🤞 I just got the RW, haven't tried the other MRD's yet... OH!! WAIT... WHAT? I should be doing that NOW!! :) Hold my beer... :ROFLMAO:
My Red Wolf liked the shallow base design and my Alpha likes that design also..JTS have shallow bases and shoot great in my Wolf and RAW.

Reactions: scottg0814
Well I finally received my order of the 25.4gr deep and shallow and the 28gr. Will be doing some testing as time permits to see if my EVOL likes any of them.

To the point of the OP, I had a look through the tins of deeps and shallows and from what I can see each tin is well sorted. I'm not finding any mixes of different 25gr versions within a single tin. Maybe the OP just got unlucky. Maybe I just got really lucky. JSB hasn't had the greatest QC track record the past few years so only time will tell as more people test them out.

I had a chance to shoot the new branded 25.39 shallow in my Alpha Wolf today, and they shot exactly like the original JSB 35.39 medium base pellets. Good enough for animals and steel, but not good enough for paper.Shot velocities starting at 890fps up to 960fps. They were never more than 1/2 off in any direction at 25 yards from the bull .So plenty good for most.

I had a chance to go to the range and try out the Shallows.
Ar 100 yards indoor range, I shot 5 groups of 11 shots per target using a Prophet 3 .
straight from the tin..no sorting
3 of the groups were 1 1/4 inches and the other 2 were 1 inch.
These were shot around 950-960.
Much, much better results than the previous MRDs
i'll do some more testing on speeds. I am still new to this rifle
I need to try them in my RAW.
I did not see any mix of pellets in this tin. They were all of the shallow type. The pellets looked brighter..maybe less oxidized.
Looks good so far
Mike

Reactions: KodiakJac
I took out my RAW HM1000x .22 to the range to try out the shallows at 50 and 100 yrds
The 50 yard shots were very good. If they were weighed out, i think it can be very nice for competition
The 100 yards were equally as good! The first group i shot was only a 3 shot group. It was the Best, but not the average
IMG_0115.jpegIMG_0116.jpeg
TBH…I doubt if I can ever repeat it
I was quickly brought back to earth on the next 6 grouping of 5 shots. The results are similar to what I shot on the prophet 3.
IMG_0117.jpeg
The shallows are much much better than the previous MRDs. Seems like they are already out of stock at most places.
I will sort them out and try again later.
Mike

JSB told Hard Air Magazine that the Shallows are current production from last year that have been rebranded. They are not a new design. When you say they are better than previous MRDs, are you talking about the MRDs from several years ago?
Hi,
I just recently came back into airgunning after taking a 10 year break, so i have no experience of what those were.
The MRD's i am referring to are the recent production within the past year.
The shallows that i have rceived are different than the redesigns i have purchased in the past 6 months.
From what i understand, the shallows were the original design, but changed, and is now being offered again.
i am comparing those 2....do not have any experience with the ones from 2 years ago.
Was the interview with JSB from Czech? or the US distributors? ...cuz i saw an interview with the distributors where they gave the wrong information within the first 2 minutes of the interview where they mixed up which type was first made.