JSB pellets?

I'm not going to blast them here on the forum, that was never my intention. I needed to find out myself if they (he) were lying to me about how jsb packaged their pellets. I'm sure they tampered with my tins of pellets, they must sort for their favorite customers and think Barry from NC want know the difference. I've been shooting pellet rifles since I was old enough to buy my first one, I am 64 now so I am not new to the pellet adventure. I did not post to bad mouth JSB, just the opposite, in my first post I said I like JSB pellets and I do. The quality issue came from the bad vender that at this time I'm not ready to expose. They want miss my business, next time you order pellets and they are poly wrapped and not individually sealed send me a PM and I will tell you who my vender was, the vender will probably match mine I'll bet. Thanks for the ones who posted. Barry

1554742665_4012949255cab7d89554f56.93861182_pellets 008.jpg

I've only used .177 cal JSB Exacts and found them to be exceptionally inconsistent in fit and weight when I used them. Matter of fact, noting the the extreme inconsistency of weight (compared to boxed die lot marked and dated CPLs) I spent a few hours actually measuring the pellet heads and weighing them. Here is the result..........

After buying a .177 HW95 and a spare .177 barrel couple years ago I found that it seems HW has reduced the bore a bit because both newer HW95 barrels required that my CPLs (normal head size from 4.53mm-4.55mm) be head sized to 4.50mm so they weren't "sore loading finger tight" in the leade.

How the pellet heads were measured........

Just for grinns I tried to size some supposedly 4.52mm JSB Exacts with my 4.50mm sizer and almost all dropped through the sizer without any sizing at all. LOL....kinda what I expected from the loose pellet fits I was getting.

A couple months ago I bought a few tins of 4.52mm Air Arms Domes to try with my tighter than R9 HW95 bore and found that the AA Domes fit very consistent........

I again decided to try sizing the 4.52mm (actually measured 4.51mm with my calliper) AA Domes with my 4.50mm home made sizer and to my surprise almost all of the AAs were head sized a tad so I decided to resize all 4 AA tins so all pellets have exactly the same head size......

I did have one dented tin with my AA order and there were a few damaged pellets in that tin..........

Anywhoo.......I've "scratched off" the JSB Exact pellet for use with my springers but (so far) the AA Domes have worked very well from my HW95. I haven't tested them for accuracy at 50 yards yet but they are pretty good when shot at 18 yard targets upstairs sitting on a bucket resting the gun on cross sticks........

I much prefer H&N to JSB in .22 and .30 (too bad they discontinued those 47gr .30s). I've also found a magic pellet in the H&N 8.6gr .177 FTT with my Ataman AP16.

A couple of years ago the first pellets I would try in a new airgun were JSB. Now it is H&N due to their consistency in weight. I don't fret much over a little skirt damage as I believe that gets pushed out for the most part when you shoot. But reading more and more about the inconsistent head size in the JSB pellets concerns me more. 

For the most part weighing a tin of pellets with JSB leads to quite a wide range of pellets. Their worst product for consistency, IMO, is the .22 15.9gr pellet. I washed and weighed about 600 yesterday and this is the distribution:

JSB159 - 1.1599658196.jpeg

What gives with this upside down bell curve? Why is it I am buying 15.9 gr pellets and there's no more than 20-30 that actually weigh at that number? The .22 Hades also weigh in with the same upside down bell curve and distribution. An extreme 0.7gr spread like this makes it so you can't shoot these with any precision straight from the can. 

My goto .22 pellet is the H&N Barracuda Match 21gr if the gun shoots it well. I started to weigh out a few tins of these and after ~100 I realized everything was within +/- 0.1gr from the weight on the tin. I tend to just shoot all H&N right from the tin.

Ok, what I have observed ordering jsb pellets from 5 different venders, all venders are not created equal. All of my jsb pellets ordered have all been sealed reguardless of the calber and have all been great less one of the venders. One of those venders sent me unsealed pellets, damaged tins, poor quality pellets in their regards to grouping when shot. Their only response was i must be using the wrong caliber pellet in my gun. That vender also stated that jsb pellets were sealed sometimes. Very disapointed in this vender I am glad to know this about them before I ordered an air gun from them. Hope that vender reads air gun nation. Barry

How are they going to knows its “ them” unless you tell us who “ they” are ? Do us all a favor, who is it ? You are not blasting them, you are informing us and them that there quality control needs to be better. How can they fix something if they don’t know it’s broke.

Funny you should say that. When I purchased my 25cal Streamline, I bought 3 tins of the 25.4 grain JSB’s and they were really clean well manufactured pellets. The next lot I bought were totally different. The external finish was poorer, several had damaged skirts and the pattern of stamping was totally different. (Not to mention they didn’t shoot as well). I was convinced that someone was selling counterfeit products so I contacted the gun shop (who is also the sole JSB distributor in Australia.) 

The email trail went all the way back to Pavel at JSB, so it wasn’t counterfeit. Maybe they had tried a different die maker or something? They actually gave me a batch of mk2 heavies to try for free so I commend them for customer support. I just hope my next order is more like the 1st batch.

Dave

To date, I've never gotten a tin of JSB's, whether they came sleeved or singles, that didn't have red or yellow sealing tape holding the lid on. Will that change in the future?? Don't have a clue, just my experience with JSB up to now.

I won't get into damaged, weights or anything else since it's not what the OP asked in his post.

Been away for a while, didn't know this topic had been revived. I called the vendor "AOA" their response to me was that my accuracy problem with their unsealed pellets was due to me shooting the wrong caliber pellet in my wrong caliber guns. That really ticked me off, I think in 50 plus years of air gunning i can distinguish between the calibers. I will never do. Business with aoa again, I don't trust them. These are the facts! Take care Barry 

I was going to not comment since this thread was started so long ago, but since @BarryW responded here is AEAC's (Airgun Exploration & Advancement Channel) video of the JSB factory tour where you can see the girl taping the tins (link jumps to the right time spot in the video):

https://youtu.be/-AAQzSkRZVg?t=2191

FYI: Both the JSB and H&N factory tours by AEAC are worth watching. It is interesting how the two manufacturing processes differ.