JSB pellet "head" diameter options.

Starting to see some head diameter options for the JSB, especially in 18.13 grain. I see online size options for these skirted pellets, in .22 (5.5mm) I am seeing 5.5, 5.52, 5.53. Anyone have input as to why the variables all of a sudden. Have they been there all along or I am just noticing now, or is there a movement for such with the newer guns with different liners (FX). Please share your thoughts. Thank You.

Tim

Starting to see some head diameter options for the JSB, especially in 18.13 grain. I see online size options for these skirted pellets, in .22 (5.5mm) I am seeing 5.5, 5.52, 5.53. Anyone have input as to why the variables all of a sudden. Have they been there all along or I am just noticing now, or is there a movement for such with the newer guns with different liners (FX). Please share your thoughts. Thank You.

Tim

Kind of hard to see, but 5.54mm

Checked across three tins.

Will

20210628_122548.1624897692.jpg

I think they have always made several head sizes, just haven't always marketed them in that manner. It's not going to matter for 99% of us. As long as they package the tins from the same die, they should be consistent, which is usually more important. I did some unscientific testing once of different head sizes. I almost convinced myself that it made a difference. Next day, they shot differently. So my recommendation, spend that time with a couple of cold beers!

They wouldn't sell in the UK if diameters weren't shown, however as I understand it the USA distributor of JSB doesn't want this, so they are not labelled.

Shooters here look for batch, die, manufature year and head diameter all of which is shown on the normal tins, it can make a huge difference to how they shoot.

The downside to the distributor of course is that soem may be in greater demand than others, they may be left with specific diameters on the shelf, hence they do it to suit themselves rather than the consumer, outrageous IMO!

Here is where I get my pellets from: https://jsb-diabolos.de

Usually the best prices and very serious handling.

I don't know if Olga ships to the USA and what the cost would be.

She regularly loads her truck directly from the JSB factory. If you look at her site you'll see choices for different head sizes, depending on the pellet manufacturer and pellet type.

This tin helps selecting the different sizes:

20210628_220740.1624911228.jpg

Regarding labels: front:

20210628_220746.1624911329.jpg

back:

20210628_220754.1624911374.jpg

If the US importer covered the factory label with its own, maybe it's possible to peel it ? All tins usually have such a label.

Batch identification is useful. Millimeter markings, not so much.

Without a doubt, each barrel (and state of tune) will prefer certain batches of pellets. So yes try as many different batches as you reasonably can but don't get too fixated on a specific head size. Firstly, a tin of 5.52mm bought next year will not be made with the same die as the ones you bought last month, and the two will almost never group the same. Secondly, pellet barrels do not have a preference for a singular head size down to the hundredth of a mm. Within a range of 0.03 – 0.05mm, one tin of pellets will often have as a good a chance of grouping well as another. They just need to be big enough to be supported by the rifling (ride the rails, so to speak) but not so big they they extrude into the grooves and smear against the walls.

For example, several times I've had batches of JSB 18.1s measuring 5.52mm that grouped amazingly well, and another batch measuring 5.48mm that grouped just as well. Pushing a 5.52 through produced distinct engraving on the head while the 5.48 showed nothing more than faint burnish marks. Either one would consistently drill a string of 1/2" Mardi Gras beads hanging from my 50 yard target. Other batches with heads measuring the same would not.

After calling Jerry Cupples before posting above, I changed my wording from "there is little to no correlation in the head sizes marked on JSB tins with the head sizes of the contents", to read there is "little" correlation in the head sizes marked on JSB tins with the head sizes of the contents. 

But in our conversation, Jerry again stated that some JSB pellets from tins marked 5.50 mm actually measure as large as 5.57 mm. Also, it's not unusual for pellets from one tin to measure in as wide a range as .05 mm; and the majority to not be close to the size marked on the tin. 

Years ago I had a conversation with a field target shooter who weighed, sorted by head size, washed, and lubed his pellets. When I asked what percentage of pellets he will actually use in competition, the reply was 10-15%. Yet at the time of that conversation that gentleman seldom finished on the podium (top 3). 

As usual, nervoustrig center-punches the bullseye. And none other than Mike Niksch has stated he pays no attention to head size.

To paraphrase- it's a crap-shoot, Folks. Correction- at least in the U.S.

Here is where I get my pellets from: https://jsb-diabolos.de

Usually the best prices and very serious handling.

I don't know if Olga ships to the USA and what the cost would be.

She regularly loads her truck directly from the JSB factory. If you look at her site you'll see choices for different head sizes, depending on the pellet manufacturer and pellet type.

This tin helps selecting the different sizes:

20210628_220740.1624911228.jpg

Regarding labels: front:

20210628_220746.1624911329.jpg

back:

20210628_220754.1624911374.jpg

If the US importer covered the factory label with its own, maybe it's possible to peel it ? All tins usually have such a label.

The bottom picture is the label mine had on it but said 5.53

There have always been 3 head sizes, the 5.51mm, .52mm and .53mm and the reason for that are simply different bore diameters and groove depths of various airguns. Over the years I have found out, that PCPs prefer a little larger head sizes on average, either .52mm or .53mm, due to the higher working pressures of the valves in these guns, which leads me to believe, that better grouping with PCP types of airguns and of course, with 5.52mm and higher head dimensions of JSB pellets, has something to do with better air sealing within the barrel, as the pellet flies down the bore. Although, I have noticed on certain airgun channels on YT, that some PCPs, such as the Weihrauchs, don't really like the 5.53mm -on average JSBs; Perhaps those seal the air too tightly and therefore create friction, which in turn causes destabilisation of the pellet?

Anyway, a relative of mine has two PCPs, the Hatsan Flash in .22 and the Benjamin Discovery in .177. He says and I've seen this myself as well, so I can confirm this to be the case, that both of these guns prefer the +.03mm versions of JSBs; his Discovery shoots very well with 4.53mm JSB pellets and his Flash with 5.53mm JSBs as well.

Another thing that I'd like to lay out is, that the JSB company had changed their labelling of the pellet cans/boxes as of 2018/2019, form "///CZ///" to M48/07 or M46/08 on their .22 boxes. The thing is, that they've also changed the pellets when they've done this!

They've changed the hardness/density of the pellets, which leads me to believe, that they've started pouring or mixing antimony into the lead as well and they've also changed the skirts of their pellets, at least of those in .177, which are now a little thicker than they used to be. In a sense and this is by the way my opinion on this move of theirs (of the JSB company of course), that they went to fix/change the perfect pellets and made them a little worse! Kind of what H&N did with its own brand...

My Gamo Big Cat 1000-E now shoots groups with these newly labelled .177 caliber JSBs a little worse than it shot the old ones (the ///CZ/// labelled), which made a roughly half an inch group at 15 yards/ 13 meters and these newer ones now make approximately 0.7 inch/ 18 mm groups. This was also apparent with my great cousins' Cometas, with the almost "ancient" 200 model, that they don't manufacture anymore as well as with the 220 model and with the 400 Fenix model as well. I'm not going to discuss my Cometa model 300, because... cause it's a story for its own topic, maybe even for a whole category of its own! That gun almost made me quit shooting! Maybe more on that some other time...

So yeah, from what I can tell, JSB pellets used to perform better...