JSB patent??

Did JSB used to have a patent on pellets? I mean they always had distinct pellets but now like H&N came out with 18gr and 15.9gr just like the JSBs and JTS is making comparable ones now too. I didn't know if something ended the last couple years that now they can make "copies" essentially. I welcome it as ive personally seen a decline in consistency with JSB over the last few years in the 18gr which turned me off them completely and now only go for 15.9gr versions. And many people have had issues with the MK1 and MK2 Heavy .25s and of course the .22 MRDs.

H&N says JSB’s design is “not protected”, even that an identical copy would be okay. But they do find fault with another company using their images/renderings.

Did JSB used to have a patent on pellets? I mean they always had distinct pellets but now like H&N came out with 18gr and 15.9gr just like the JSBs and JTS is making comparable ones now too. I didn't know if something ended the last couple years that now they can make "copies" essentially. I welcome it as ive personally seen a decline in consistency with JSB over the last few years in the 18gr which turned me off them completely and now only go for 15.9gr versions. And many people have had issues with the MK1 and MK2 Heavy .25s and of course the .22 MRDs.
Just because the weight is the same does not mean the design is the same. Specifically the 18g H&N and many other h@n have smaller head size then JSB. The reason why H&N are smaller is because they’re catering to the Lothar Walther size barrel.
Even our new Benjamin pellets look and weigh the same as Crosman’s but I can assure you they have definitely gone through a revision. Testing proves they don’t shoot like typical Crosman pellets.

Reactions: AirGunShooter
Just because the weight is the same does not mean the design is the same.
With a sufficient degree of resolution, no two things are the same. So I’ll continue to tell myself that this:
A9A7DB71-59D0-42F1-86B7-46CC2F783EB1.jpeg

isn’t the same design as this:
85F76969-27D5-41ED-B4CE-D47126559725.jpeg

When I look at those two, I see apples and oranges.

From what I’ve seen on the engineering side of things in the corporate world, I am continually bewildered by the things that manage to qualify for a patent…things I would consider mundane or obvious to anyone skilled in the particular field, or things based on prior art. So I expect JSB could very well craft a successful patent application if they wanted, something that would distinguish their design as novel beyond a mere diabolo pellet. Or it may be that they would rather not put their 11 herbs and spices out into the public domain.

Ran low on .25 JSB 33.95s, ordered four tins from Pyramyd, never considering MK1 or MKII. Eventually ran out and started using new stuff. M3 Sniper groups opened up, figured time for barrel cleaning. Uragan .25 groups opened up, another barrel cleaning? Gauntlet groups opened up, wait a minute, what's going on? Looked at tin, MKIIs. Only gun didn't seem to mind was the Taipan Veteran Long, not surprising, that gun is very obliging. Two days ago, took advantage of 12% discount and ordered 8 tins of MK1s from Pyramyd, lesson learned. WM

H&N says JSB’s design is “not protected”, even that an identical copy would be okay. But they do find fault with another company using their images/renderings.

Lol that is very hypocritical

I see H&N has recently released a domed/diablo 8.44 badged Baracuda 8. The market seems to be getting interesting. I can essentially get same thing from 3, 4, or 5 manufactures, JSB, AA, FX, H&N, Olympia and others. Understanding that some of those come from the same source with perhaps different dies? I get that the market is narrow, but maybe some innovation over imitation?

Patents generally expire after a certain number of years. So expiration opens up competition..which might explain the abundance of "clones" recently

Reactions: Dairyboy