• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

JSB MKI and Impact Magazine

The JSB 25s will all drop into the magazine freely. The MKI heavies drop freely for the first 5 and then they have to be seated (pushed in manually) for the cover to have clearance to rotate. I can load about 9 pellets this way and have the magazine index while shooting. More than nine and the magazine will not index. I have not had the chance to try the MKIIs, they will be here tomorrow. I am thinking maybe the skirts on the MKIs are bigger or the pellet longer than on the 25s? I wonder if taking a fine sanding disk and “polishing” each of the little compartments in the magazine would solve the problem. I have seen videos where that is done on the Wildcat mags with goods results. However, these are expensive magazine and I don't want to mess one up. Anyone have similar problems? What was your solution? 

a4ab944a7ec9271108850ce015c25054.jpg

I don't own the .25 version of Impact but on the .30 version had a lot of pellet scraping.

Alternative you might consider. The older style mags work in the Impact but just insert a little differently . The older mag with 11 shots in .25 cycle perfectly with both the MK1 and MK2 Fat Kings. In fact, my bobcat prefers the Mk1s.

Photo of lead scraping .30 version of Impact mag after 2.5 weeks of use from new.

My magazine was sticking about the 4th & 5th shot. I noticed the allen screw holding the cover on was really tight. I removed the cover (careful its under tension) and added one drop of lube down the hole. Then I reinstalled the cover making the allen screw just snug enough and it seems to spin a lot better now. WARNING if the cover & spring pop out you'll have to reinstall the spring (small notch in cog wheel & small notch in base) then give it 4 full rotations so the spring has enough tension.

Mick: where can you find the older magazines? I do not have problems with my 30 cal, it seems to cycle the 44 and 50 grain JSBs equally well. I was really surprised with these heavies as I had not read about anyone having problems.

Michael: been the spring route with my 22 mag and several Mrod mags. The spring configuration on the FX mags is better than the Mrod and easier to get back together. I loosened my Allen a lot and it did not make any difference. I will try the lube. Also Dirte suggested maybe trying another rotation on the spring as I have no idea how many are on it now.

when I seat the pellet there is an audible pop or snap as it inserts, like it is moving past an o-ring which made me think the opening in the mag wheel may be too small. It is not that the pellet is too long, the first 5 drop right in with no rubbing. Kind of disappointing that a $75 magazine wasnt engineered for the available ammunition

The mag indexes normally, however, there is the one pellet I have to push in to clear the cover. It is the same position every time. I may try to lightly ream that section out a little to see if the pellet will drop in. 

Bonus, the MKIIs shoot more consistently in my gun than the MKIs or the 25s. The 25 cal barrel and pellet combination seem to be much more accurate than the 22 barrel. Especially so in the almost constant wind we have around here. So I guess I know which pellet I will stock up on.

I took the magazine apart and the center wheel with the scallops passed all the pellets without binging. That left the outer case. I took my Dremel tool with a sanding disk and relieved the inside of the outer case a little then polished it up. Now it will load all three pellets and cycles nicely. It would seem that a $75 magazine would be checked to function with the ammo the gun was designed for.

I found out my problem with my FX Impact .25 cal mag problem loading JSB King Heavy. 
The rotor pockets were off up to .006 to .012" from center at least 5 pockets like this. 
The fix was rapping 320 grit sand paper around a drill bit to keep the same radius. 
And took about .5 hour to get them all with in a .001". And the rotor rotates smoothly with pellets in the pockets now. 
Next time I'll make a new rotor to spec. Because the machining was not up to spec in my views. 😊