JSB---JST---SIDE BY SIDE

SIDE BY SIDE: 30 CAL JSB and 30 CAL JTS​

I have been testing and comparing these two brands of ammo for several weeks and want to share my results with you guys. JSB is one of the leaders in air gun ammo sales. There is a video worth watching that shows their operation. They produce millions of pellets. The vid runs around 49 minutes and if you have not viewed it I highly suggest you take time to learn what an operation they run. Link for the video:

JTS is a new comer to pellet production and making a giant splash in a very short time. I donā€™t know of a video posted of their production facility, if there is one I would like a link to it . I either read or heard that Bob Sterne (on the GTA and other forums) had input in the development of the 18.2 grain .22 cal ammo and the center of gravity had been relocated. I have not heard if he was working to develop the .30 cal also.

DISCLAIMER: This comparison was shot with a chocked barrel. Your results may be different then this post if shot from an unchoked barrel. Tom, the owner of American Air Arms built the Evol to shoot JSB at around 830-900FPS. Some owners have had success with slugs but it means regulator adjusting and other tweaks.

Test Results and other insight

Price, always a consideration

The last order of JSB from PA was 4 tins. Get 1 free and pay for 3. Use promo code and get 10% off. Add taxes and shipping and total ran 68.38$. 600 pellets at .114Cent per.

Order of 4 tins of JTS were 60.95. The buy 3 get 4th free was available but no promo code, maybe in the future (I hope.) 400 pellets were .15cent per.

Not much difference but it adds up in the long run.

Quality Control

JTS has nailed this! My plan was to weigh all 4 tins once they arrived. The first tin was weighed and 96 were spot on at 45.1 grain. 1 was 45.2, 1 was 45 and 2 were 44.9. I didnā€™t bother to weigh the other 3 tins.

JSB has been going down in quality for some time now. In the past a spread of 44.2 to 45.3 was a good tin. The last large order of 10 tins (1500 pellets) were off the chart in actual weight. They ran from 43.2-45.9. Why are they labeled as 44.7, there were not very many 44.7 in the total count. The highest concentration were 44.9-45.4. Nod goes to JST for QUALITY

Chrony Numbers

JSB JTS

Avg FPS-890 Avg FPS-904

ES 5.72 ES 8.61

SD 2.14 SD 2.44

Measurements

JTSā€”Length .375ā€ Head diameter--.3005ā€ Skirt--.305ā€

JSBā€”Length .375ā€ Head diameter--.3015ā€ Skirt--.307ā€

My thoughts on the lower avg speed has to do with head size. I can feel a difference when closing the chambering the JSB. It takes a little extra push to seat. I believe the tighter fit adds a bit more friction and thus the slightly slower FPS.

I hope this is helpful to someone, I will continue to test. I really like the thought of never having to weigh another pellet!

I have attached photos of several groups shot side by side on the same morning. Both were under 1 inch CTC. Also, I placed a 100 yard target used for the GTA NUHC at 125 yards just to see what I could do.

Turned out to be pretty dang good. I plan to share this post on a few other forums so you may see it again somewhere. Thanks for reading my post!

View attachment 380304

View attachment 380305

View attachment 380306
thankyou very good post !

Reactions: mr007s
With the 4th tin free and 10% discount figure along with shipping and tax that is the actual cost, no bull.
Yes, I was wrong, thanks for posting my error. Looks like that little decimal was not suppose to be there. Even after prof reading twice I missed that little dot. The cost per pellet was 11 cents. Glad you caught that, I always strive to give accurate information.

Reactions: Stone02
Mr007s, we all make mistakes, and quite often cannot see them no matter how hard we look.
A lot of people object to having their errors pointed out, but real men do not.

Regarding the high cost of pellets these days, the increase in the price of lead cannot be blamed. The market price for the lead in a 500 tin of 14.3 grain pellets is less than a dollar. If the cost of the lead were to double, the cost of a tin would increase but it would not double.

Reactions: mr007s and Stone02
Pyramyd Air. My first order of jts .22 they were not honoring the Gateway-pyramyd discount or the nra-pyramyd. A couple weeks latter they were. I was doing a mock up order to learn what 20 tins would cost(5 of those were free) , Heck of a deal I thought, I had over 150 bucks in the cart and that allowed the shipping to be free also.

Reactions: JungleShooter
Do you know what speeds youā€™re shooting? I tried the 25.39 grain JTS pellets in my RAW .22 and I couldnā€™t get them to group at all at 40 yards
I shot the JTS in my RAW HM1000X .22 @ 940 and they shot great at 25 & 50 yards, haven't shot from 50 to 100 yet.
Interesting thanks šŸ‘.

When was this shallow skirt MRD manufactured? This year?
All the MRD I've purchased this year still have the deep skirt. Manufactured 2022.
I have 3 different JSB pellet designs since 2019, that I have found in sorting. If they keep changing the design because what they are doing isn't quite working....why not go back to the original redesign that worked great?

Last edited: