JSB---JST---SIDE BY SIDE

SIDE BY SIDE: 30 CAL JSB and 30 CAL JTS​

I have been testing and comparing these two brands of ammo for several weeks and want to share my results with you guys. JSB is one of the leaders in air gun ammo sales. There is a video worth watching that shows their operation. They produce millions of pellets. The vid runs around 49 minutes and if you have not viewed it I highly suggest you take time to learn what an operation they run. Link for the video:

JTS is a new comer to pellet production and making a giant splash in a very short time. I don’t know of a video posted of their production facility, if there is one I would like a link to it . I either read or heard that Bob Sterne (on the GTA and other forums) had input in the development of the 18.2 grain .22 cal ammo and the center of gravity had been relocated. I have not heard if he was working to develop the .30 cal also.

DISCLAIMER: This comparison was shot with a chocked barrel. Your results may be different then this post if shot from an unchoked barrel. Tom, the owner of American Air Arms built the Evol to shoot JSB at around 830-900FPS. Some owners have had success with slugs but it means regulator adjusting and other tweaks.

Test Results and other insight

Price, always a consideration

The last order of JSB from PA was 4 tins. Get 1 free and pay for 3. Use promo code and get 10% off. Add taxes and shipping and total ran 68.38$. 600 pellets at .114Cent per.

Order of 4 tins of JTS were 60.95. The buy 3 get 4th free was available but no promo code, maybe in the future (I hope.) 400 pellets were .15cent per.

Not much difference but it adds up in the long run.

Quality Control

JTS has nailed this! My plan was to weigh all 4 tins once they arrived. The first tin was weighed and 96 were spot on at 45.1 grain. 1 was 45.2, 1 was 45 and 2 were 44.9. I didn’t bother to weigh the other 3 tins.

JSB has been going down in quality for some time now. In the past a spread of 44.2 to 45.3 was a good tin. The last large order of 10 tins (1500 pellets) were off the chart in actual weight. They ran from 43.2-45.9. Why are they labeled as 44.7, there were not very many 44.7 in the total count. The highest concentration were 44.9-45.4. Nod goes to JST for QUALITY

Chrony Numbers

JSB JTS

Avg FPS-890 Avg FPS-904

ES 5.72 ES 8.61

SD 2.14 SD 2.44

Measurements

JTS—Length .375” Head diameter--.3005” Skirt--.305”

JSB—Length .375” Head diameter--.3015” Skirt--.307”

My thoughts on the lower avg speed has to do with head size. I can feel a difference when closing the chambering the JSB. It takes a little extra push to seat. I believe the tighter fit adds a bit more friction and thus the slightly slower FPS.

I hope this is helpful to someone, I will continue to test. I really like the thought of never having to weigh another pellet!

I have attached photos of several groups shot side by side on the same morning. Both were under 1 inch CTC. Also, I placed a 100 yard target used for the GTA NUHC at 125 yards just to see what I could do.

Turned out to be pretty dang good. I plan to share this post on a few other forums so you may see it again somewhere. Thanks for reading my post!

jsb45.1paint.jpg

jts45.1paint.jpg

125yard2.jpg

Good information Ray.

I shot the JTS Dead Center .22 cal 25.39 “shallow cavity” pellets this week with my RAW .22 HP. I also got excellent results and accuracy,…. shooting several groups at 50Y. Also, shot a solid N50 card with some wind.

Q. Do you notice any perceivable accuracy improvements at 100Y shooting the JTS 44g vs. JSB 44g?

Last edited:
Good information Ray.

I shot the JTS Dead Center .22 cal 25.39 “shallow cavity” pellets this week with my RAW .22 HP. I also got excellent results and accuracy,…. shooting several groups at 50Y. Also, shot a solid N50 card with some wind.

Q. Do you notice and perceivable accuracy improvements at 100Y shooting the JTS 44g vs. JSB 44g?
How fast did toy shoot the .22 25.39 JTS

Good information Ray.

Q. Do you notice and perceivable accuracy improvements at 100Y shooting the JTS 44g vs. JSB 44g?
It was pretty much neck and neck, as long as the JSB ammo all weighed the same. One day the jsb would be the smaller group and the next target the JTS would be smaller. I shot in the early morning while there was little wind and in the late afternoon after dinner.

Good information Ray.

Q. Do you notice any perceivable accuracy improvements at 100Y shooting the JTS 44g vs. JSB 44g?
Do you know what speeds you’re shooting? I tried the 25.39 grain JTS pellets in my RAW .22 and I couldn’t get them to group at all at 40 yards

Do you know what speeds you’re shooting? I tried the 25.39 grain JTS pellets in my RAW .22 and I couldn’t get them to group at all at 40 yards
Have you given your barrel a good cleaning before trying the pellets? I tried switching from the JSB MRD to the JST 25gr in my EVOL and they weren't doing so well at first. After a good barrel cleaning and lead in with the JST it improved significantly.

I've tried a couple tins of the 25.4 grain JTS in my .22 Red Wolf (970 fps)... At 100 yards, I found that they were about the same performance wise as a "Meh" tin of the JSB RDMs, but not as good as a "good" tin of the JSB RDMs. Plus, I got as many (or more) flyers from the JTS as I do from the JSB. I'd recommend trying them, but they aren't the "next big thing". I'm looking forward to seeing what ZAN comes up with in .22 caliber as far as heavy pellets... The .30 caliber 56 grain ZANs are very good in some guns...

I've tried a couple tins of the 25.4 grain JTS in my .22 Red Wolf (970 fps)... At 100 yards, I found that they were about the same performance wise as a "Meh" tin of the JSB RDMs, but not as good as a "good" tin of the JSB RDMs. Plus, I got as many (or more) flyers from the JTS as I do from the JSB. I'd recommend trying them, but they aren't the "next big thing". I'm looking forward to seeing what ZAN comes up with in .22 caliber as far as heavy pellets... The .30 caliber 56 grain ZANs are very good in some guns...

Totally agree Mike, based on my 100 yard testing today with the RAW firing the JTS 25.39 at 962 FPS. In my enthusiasm shooting these at 50 yards last week, I was expecting better at 100 yards. I have another JTS Dead Center RAW thread that I updated today.

Reactions: Centercut

Yes, shooting the JTS 25.39 at 962 FPS with an ES=5. I posted my 50 yard groups in a separate thread and achieved .562” CTC average for eight 5-shot groups or a total of 40 shots. I always clean my RAW .22 HP Poly barrel after 75-125 shots; and always have at least two or three patches with visible lead sediments.

The skirt depth of MRD pellets has changed significantly since inception.
The latest version has almost reverted to the original shallow skirt.
Worth noting when making comparisons.
Interesting thanks 👍.

When was this shallow skirt MRD manufactured? This year?
All the MRD I've purchased this year still have the deep skirt. Manufactured 2022.