JSB Hades Ballistic Coefficient?

I’ve been shooting the Hades lately pesting birds. I use Strelok Pro to develop my drop cards but Strelok doesn’t have the Hades in its database. I’ve been using the JSB 15.89 as a substitute but beyond about 80 yards the drop data is off enough to cause misses. Strelok has been dead on when I was using it for JSB 18.13.

I haven’t been able to find a published BC for the Hades. I’m hoping someone knows what the BC for the Hades is or perhaps calculated one using a Lab Radar?

Thanks

Viking,

Are you familiar with the trajectory validation feature in Strelok? It will calculate the BC for you.

1560054307_18344812185cfc8a23e0b8e7.82297542_Screenshot_20190609-002319_1560054270843.jpg

Reactions: Fate
The first go I had with the Hades I ran the drop info I had experienced out of my S510 and at around 925 FPS I was getting a .034 via ChairGun Pro. After some more shooting and massaging the data in ChairGun Pro I settled down at .032, which is where I'm staying for my dope right now.

FWIW, I have an intersect reticle image printed and stuck to the objective lens cap on my Wildcat for the 15.89's and have been shooting the Hades through it the past few days and have found the trajectory a match out to about 60 yards. This is on silhouettes and starlings so it's not exact but it's been pretty darn close.

ChuckInOhio,

I'm noticing that at longer distances I appear to be shooting over the intended target which would indicate that the Hades has a higher BC than the 15.89 JSB, so your calculation of .034 may be much closer. I'm shooting at roughly the same velocities you are.

I'm currently on a business trip until the 19th, but when I get home I'll try using Strelok to calculate the BC as Bob_O suggested and share what I come up with .

I think that Hades are an excellent hunting pellet and I'm hoping I can get them as dialed in as the JSB 18.13 for long range pesting.

ChuckInOhio,

I'm noticing that at longer distances I appear to be shooting over the intended target which would indicate that the Hades has a higher BC than the 15.89 JSB, so your calculation of .034 may be much closer. I'm shooting at roughly the same velocities you are.

I’m including my scope cap intersect just to give an idea of where I’m at, but I got a chance to do some shooting last night and shot the 15.89 Exact’s side by side with the Hades. The wind was very kind and the Hades were following the intersect identically out to 58 yards, but I noticed them dropping at 72 yards to where the Exact would have hit around 80. So they’re neck/neck out to 60, and next time I can I’m going to shoot it at 5 yard increments out to around 115 to see what data I get. I really think the head design is giving these a more dynamic BC as they slow down at range. I know I’ve seen them more affected by the wind. 

On a side note, the Hades accuracy out of my Wildcat MkI was outstanding. And every starling I’ve hit using these has dropped dead without so much as a kick. I had been thinking about getting a 25 again but these little pills may be just what the doctor ordered. 

1560338364_222892645d00dfbc6962c5.42430283_E64C1F03-E343-46AD-9FC2-908D33C9925A.jpeg

Hi Chuck,

a little while back you said something about testing the Hades against the JSB Domed and getting us more info on the BC of the Hades.

So they’re neck/neck out to 60, and next time I can I’m going to shoot it at 5 yard increments out to around 115 to see what data I get. I really think the head design is giving these a more dynamic BC as they slow down at range. I know I’ve seen them more affected by the wind.

If you've had the chance to do that testing already, I would love to find out more!!

Thanks a lot! 😊

Matthias

What speed do you guys like shooting the hades at, particularly 380mm smooth twist barrels if you have them? Been tuning my Streamline with power plenum and with the HST turned way out I'm shooting them at 960FPS which is what I like shooting the 18's at and from what i read, these are shaped more like an 18 than a 16. Hope to get some target time soon but wondering where I might start my tune. I'm at 110 bar right now.

I settled on using a BC of .023 for the Hades. Using Strelock Pro the drop calculations seems spot on at an initial velocity of 905 FPS. Ralph from the Air Hunters on their Air Hunters Guide channel did a review of the Hades and came up with that same BC using a LabRadar.

Jeff- I've shot the Hades from 900-930 FPS. I found at the higher velocity of 930 FPS the pellets were losing stability and the groups would open up between 30-50 yards. I use the Hades exclusively out of my Wildcat MK1 and they are now shooting at 905 FPS with excellent accuracy. I'm surprised that you are able to maintain pellet stability shooting either the Hades or the 18.13 JSB that fast.

I settled on using a BC of .023 for the Hades. Using Strelock Pro the drop calculations seems spot on at an initial velocity of 905 FPS. Ralph from the Air Hunters on their Air Hunters Guide channel did a review of the Hades and came up with that same BC using a LabRadar.

Jeff- I've shot the Hades from 900-930 FPS. I found at the higher velocity of 930 FPS the pellets were losing stability and the groups would open up between 30-50 yards. I use the Hades exclusively out of my Wildcat MK1 and they are now shooting at 905 FPS with excellent accuracy. I'm surprised that you are able to maintain pellet stability shooting either the Hades or the 18.13 JSB that fast.

Oh sorry, to clarify a little better, I like shooting the 18’s at 960 out of my Kral barrel. If I remember correct they were some of my best groups (I’m not a great shooter) but .78” at 91yds I think for 5 shots. That’s a 23” barrel with 1:16 twist. I’m trying to set the streamline up for a short range quick light gun for 50-70yds max. I think that’s about the hades limitations unless there is zero wind. The 380mm ST barrel is probably better suited at low 900’s as you suggested.

To revive an old thread - I noticed the Hades wasn't matching up with the Strelok reticle using the assumed BC of 0.031 for the Hades in my Pulsar. I'm shooting at 973 from the muzzle. So, I did my own ballistic coefficient calculation using my Caldwell Chronograph for velocities at the muzzle and 50 yards. I was very surprised at the result but when I used my calculated BC in Strelok it was right where the pellets were actually going. I know my calculated BC of 0.017 seems very low but the actual trajectory up to 50 yards (all I have) matches the Strelok calculations. I did the same test for JSB Exacts and JSB Heavy and pretty much matched the published data on these.

My data:

.22 Hades 15.89

Daystate Pulsar standard

Muzzle velocity - 973

50 yard velocity - 674

Calculated Ballistic Coefficient using the Pyramyd Air calculator 0.017,

Ronmcc4,

A few people used their Lab Radars and were able to determine the BC for the .22 Hades to be .023 which happens to be the same BC StrelokPro has for the JSB Exact 15.89. I found this gave me good data out to 110 yards with an initial velocity of 905-915 fps out to f my Wildcat MK1.

I plan to experiment some more over the next few days. The velocity loss I measured for the Hades from muzzle to 50 yards was surprising to me. The Hades started at 973 and was at 674 at 50 yards. As a comparison, JSB Exacts (15.89 grain) started at 960 and were at 776 at 50 yards - a 100 FPS difference. The small game performance of the Hades is a documented fact but it looks like energy and speed fade more quickly than traditional diablo pellets. I assume the head design that gives such good hunting performance would be a primary factor.

I’m shooting these pretty hot too. I may back off the velocity and test again. What would be the expected effect on BC of lowering velocity?