• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

JSB 34 GRAINS & ROYALE 500: BEST VELOCITY

Recently i tuned my gun specially for the 34 grains due to excellent retention energy at longer distances and BC. However, i feel there is not a big difference when it comes to bucking wind if we comapre the 25 grains with the 34 grains.

My question is what is the best velocity in terms of accuracy when shooting the 34 grains from Royale 500. 

Cheers

You are correct about bucking wind. Airguns dont buck wind so no matter what pellet you use if you want to shoot pellets in the wind you will have to be able to calculate drift even at 40 yds. My opinion about whats the best fps for accuracy is that every rifle will be different so no one can actually give you that answer. I will use my daystate wolverine b hi lite in .25 as an example. If you read posts about the best velocity for accuracy with the JSB Kings you see allot of guys saying 880 fps - 920 fps. My Wolverine was set right at 900 fps from the factory with JSB Kings. Yes it was accurate and would average .500 at 50 yds. I had a few misses and slightly off hits at 50 - 60 yds when I took it in the field for hunting and pesting. So I started shooting more on paper to see what was going on. I noticed random flyers so I thought it was bad pellets. I always have better accuracy with less than 890 fps with 860 fps being a sweet spot with my .25 pcp rifles. My Wolverine gives the best accuracy with the JSB King Heavies from 820 fps - 850 fps. If velocity is bellow 820 fps the groups start to open up. I have read posts from people using the King Heavies at sub 800 with very good accuracy but my Wolverine doesnt like velocity bellow 820 fps. So my advice would be to start around 800 fps and increase speed by 25 fps until you max out and see what your rifle likes best.

"wajie316"Recently i tuned my gun specially for the 34 grains due to excellent retention energy at longer distances and BC. However, i feel there is not a big difference when it comes to bucking wind if we comapre the 25 grains with the 34 grains.
My question is what is the best velocity in terms of accuracy when shooting the 34 grains from Royale 500. 
Cheers
Best accuracy based on his original post.

Chuck im not sure why you refuse to read the posts but maybe you should go back threw them all. You just basically repeated what I said to the OP in my first post and then confused me with the person needing the help. I am not trying to be a jerk but the OP clearly stated what they had a question about and you seem to have ignored that post and all of my posts. Reading the posts is part of giving help to the people posting questions;)

Yes i dunno why i am not getting the same velocities at 150 bar. I was able to shoot around 820fps with MK2 at 145 or 150 bar last time i checked. After that i had to increase the reg pressure. I have also installed a bigger transfer port and valve. Mine is averaging around 853fps rite now at 165 bars. Any help will be appreciated Chuck

Btw Just shot another 10 shot group at 62 Yards(link below). Although they are shooting great but the pellets are highly waxed and have to clean the barrel pretty often. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/airgunclub/permalink/1397031393757997/

Wajie, how old is your Royale? Does it have an adjuster wheel on it? The reason I ask is the older models without the adjuster and no regulator had a smaller valve like you upgraded from but the air passage from the bottom of the receiver to the barrel port was also smaller. I have one of the older models without a wheel. I added a regulator and found out the rest later (need for bigger valve and enlarged air passage). Mine will shoot the 34.9's at 900 if I want but it seems to shoot well around 850 and I think the regulator was left set at 160ba.
jk

That's with the HST maxed out at 165BAR Syed? I had mine set at 163 for a bit until I made the reg tester and I was getting 900+ with the MKI's, I've had good luck with the FX reg now I have it set at 158-159BAR and It'll do 900 with the HST maxed but two full turns out and its happy at 875-890. Accuracy has been comparable to when it was shooting 820 or so, but still need to do more testing. I shot mainly 50m last time I went, had a 1.4 inch 6 shot group at 100m but only shot two groups without really dialing in the scope well.

I work with Wajih on his gun.

I would like to know the internal dia of the valve seat of those 500 which produce beyong 900 fps with 34 grain at around 160 bar reg pressure.
I believe that the standard ID would be 5.5mm that might be needed to be enlarged a bit.

Enlarging the TP may also help a bit.

The problem is that all 500 are not identical so we would have to find out that where the real difference is that is causing low fps in Wajih's 500.

Mr. Chuck, the Plenum area in Royale series guns might not have option to be increased as the reg is installed inside the action. Not in the cylinder as is the case with Wildcat and Streamline.

I think I misspoke above, I was thinking my 500 was capable of 900fps at 160bar. I sure thought that's the way I left it. I just took it out to the garage and shot it over the chrony and it shooting the heavies at 850-855. I guess I was thinking back when I first installed the HP valve and drilled out the air passage to 5mm but the regulator was set up around 190bar. That's when it shot the 900+ and the Kings shot 1010fps.
I had to go back and re-read my post from last year to figure out where the misconnect was.
For peace of mind I need to check the regulated pressure.
Jimmy
http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/supercharged-my-fx500-royale-thanks-weatherby/