JSB .22 Redesign

Be mindful that you are accelerating a pellet from 0 to around 600 mph in about 2 feet....and spinning it up to an incredibly high rpm.

Starting a pellet out a little crooked to the bore will result in it being forced to rotate at maybe 30-40,000 rpm with a cg off center while it's in the barrel. Once it leaves the barrel it will now be forced to try and correct its off axis rotation on its way to the target. The less correction it has to make....the better. You ever get on a kids merry go round going 20 rpm? You better be in the middle.

Mike

I would guess the $$$ amount would be equal to a Thomas HP?? :unsure:

Lol, that was my thought too. Although id really like to understand, versus buying and taking delivery of a gun that simply shoots them like I want a gun to shoot them.

"Here (hands you a gun). This one works." Is very different than KNOWING the answer to this frustrating mystery.

Be mindful that you are accelerating a pellet from 0 to around 600 mph in about 2 feet....and spinning it up to an incredibly high rpm.

Starting a pellet out a little crooked to the bore will result in it being forced to rotate at maybe 30-40,000 rpm with a cg off center while it's in the barrel. Once it leaves the barrel it will now be forced to try and correct its off axis rotation on its way to the target. The less correction it has to make....the better. You ever get on a kids merry go round going 20 rpm? You better be in the middle.

Mike
Thank you Mike
every little bit of knowledge helps.
I think that may be a problem i am having since the MRD's a quite long. I have noticed that i am hand loading them at an angle, hoping they center as i push them in the breech.
Guessing it would it be better to load them from a magazine that can load straight in??
Thanks for the info
Mike

Thank you Mike
every little bit of knowledge helps.
I think that may be a problem i am having since the MRD's a quite long. I have noticed that i am hand loading them at an angle, hoping they center as i push them in the breech.
Guessing it would it be better to load them from a magazine that can load straight in??
Thanks for the info
Mike
As far as I know...your rifle maker does not utilize any sort of a chamber to ensure the pellet goes in straight. The barrels I've seen from them...you're just pushing a pellet straight into the rifling. Of the companies that do utilize a chamber or leade...they don't take the time to cut it concentric to the bore.

Mike

I come from a PB background and am very green when it comes to PCPs. Does controlling the jump of a pellet have any effect on accuracy like it does with PBs?
Pellets have a bigger diameter skirt compared to the head. There is no way to have jump in a pellet gun barrel without the pellet laying over on one side with the head being unsupported prior to engaging the rifling.

Mike

Reactions: KodiakJac
As far as I know...your rifle maker does not utilize any sort of a chamber to ensure the pellet goes in straight. The barrels I've seen from them...you're just pushing a pellet straight into the rifling. Of the companies that do utilize a chamber or leade...they don't take the time to cut it concentric to the bore.

Mike
Thanks Mike
Appreciate the response
Have a great day
Mike

I’ve got an HPX that’s less than a year old and I can attest that mine is 100% dependable at 50Y with zero fliers with MRDs. It’s the most accurate and dependable pellet rifle I’ve ever owned or shot. I’m not privy to what Mike does to his barrel internals but whatever it is it flat out works. I can also respect his need to hold his gun smithing secrets close to the vest.

Last edited:
I’ve got an HPX that’s less than a year old and I can attest that mine is 100% dependable at 50Y with zero fliers with MRDs. It’s the most accurate and dependable pellet rifle I’ve ever owned or shot. I’m not privy to what Mike does to his barrel internals but whatever it is it flat out works. I can also respect his need to hold his gun smithing secrets close to the vest.

Ever sretched it past 50 yards?

I have and its accurate but my P*** poor eyesight won't let me see .22 holes at 100Y. I've tried several $$$ scopes but no success yet. I shoot .30 @100 and can [usually] see those holes but still not with 100% success I had hoped for.
Get a Blink Camera and put it down range focused on the target, load the app on you phone and just look at your phone showing the camera view.

You're welcome. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Smitty

Here we go again.

These both came in SHALLOW tins.
It looks like you can get different types of SHALLOWS, may be it will be the same with the DEEP and GRANDS. God help us 😅

20240229_160243.jpg

Ha ha….thanks Jeff.

I just ordered 4 tins of the deep cavity from PYA. Also, 4 of the Grands, which are pre-ordered.

I am hopeful for the 28g Grands, but I think the shallow and deep cavity are more of a marketing/ advertising promotion to sell more.

Thus, I earn my well deserved name - “doubting Thomas.” 😉

Here we go again.

It looks like you can get different types of SHALLOWS, may be it will be the same with the DEEP and GRANDS. God help us 😅

View attachment 441475
new chapter to the same story :cry:
was hoping that their quality control had improved

Reactions: KodiakJac
Here we go again.

View attachment 441475
Wonderful. I really wish the H&N Baracuda Match Pellets were accurate in my rifles. I've found H&N pellets to be FAR more consistent than JSB, not to mention quality SCREW TOP tins. It just so happens that JSB pellets are more accurate in my rigs... like most people I guess... I've often wondered if H&N would move to a softer lead if it would make a difference???

Reactions: dgeesaman
new chapter to the same story :cry:
was hoping that their quality control had improved
FWIW, even in the era where JSB was regarded to have better quality control, they were constantly changing skirt geometries so I don't think that alone is a reliable indicator of quality.

Wonderful. I really wish the H&N Baracuda Match Pellets were accurate in my rifles. I've found H&N pellets to be FAR more consistent than JSB, not to mention quality SCREW TOP tins. It just so happens that JSB pellets are more accurate in my rigs... like most people I guess... I've often wondered if H&N would move to a softer lead if it would make a difference???

We need more pellet manufacturers. OR we need current pellet manufacturers to step it up.

Unfortunately, most individuals seeking precision find that @HN Sport pellets simple don't shoot as accurately as JSB.

There's also the matter of ballistic coefficient. For whatever reason, generally speaking, the H&N pellets in similar weights don't have BCs as high as JSB pellets (not necessarily the .22 MRD).

And yes, I linked H&N into this very intentionally.

@HN Sport , this is a huge opportunity for you guys. Make a .22 pellet in the 25-29grain range with a BC up around 0.05-0.06, THAT CAN BE TRUSTED TO PRODUCE LONG RANGE ACCURACY (say 100yards) AND NOT CHANGE EVERY TIME WE BUY A NEW BATCH, and you will sell massive amounts of them.

I know single competitors that spend thousands of dollars on their chosen long range pellet. Multiply that by the market and you guys are selling some pellets!

Last edited: