• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

JSB .22 Redesign

Cole, I'm not picking on you. I certainly believe everything you say and agree you don't have an operator error problem. There is a million posts about how everyone has deemed the monsters as an unsolvable problem....despite their track record of great scores and many wins in ebr and other 100y events. How can a person overlook the history of performance that a few obtain when making a claim like that? The few are doing something different. Some say that they are shooting old pellets from whatever year they were good, and that could be true for some....but certainly not all.

The odd part about the monsters for me in 50y BR is that they are far easier to find good ones suitable for competition than any other pellet I've ever shot. If you want great 8.4s or 13.4 monsters in .177 you are going to have to do some deep digging. I pretty much use whatever I get at 50 as long as they are not damaged.

For 100 and monsters....you gotta look much harder, and you better have everything else as perfect as possible.

Guys use them successfully in 100y BR every year.

I've shot an untold amount of great 25 shot groups in succession at 100y with them and so have others. How can this happen with a pellet that doesn't work at 100? Something must be different somewhere, no?

Mike

I agree Mike. They shoot well at 50, even at 75 they hang together pretty good. But for (guessing here) 95% of us, they go to crap @ 100. Yep, some have found success with them at 100yards, but they sure seem to be the exception.

I've put more work and money into getting them to shoot well at 100 than I have any other projectile. And been duped in all my attempts.

When it comes to the .22 MRDs, I'd sure love to know the secret that a very select few seem to know.

Up until the last couple weeks, I assumed it was barrels. But the last barrel was sorta the straw that broke the camels back. I've tried every barrel I can get my hands on, and even some that are unobtainium, and the .22 MRD still disappoints.

Last edited:
Cole, I'm not picking on you. I certainly believe everything you say and agree you don't have an operator error problem. There is a million posts about how everyone has deemed the monsters as an unsolvable problem....despite their track record of great scores and many wins in ebr and other 100y events. How can a person overlook the history of performance that a few obtain when making a claim like that? The few are doing something different. Some say that they are shooting old pellets from whatever year they were good, and that could be true for some....but certainly not all.

The odd part about the monsters for me in 50y BR is that they are far easier to find good ones suitable for competition than any other pellet I've ever shot. If you want great 8.4s or 13.4 monsters in .177 you are going to have to do some deep digging. I pretty much use whatever I get at 50 as long as they are not damaged.

For 100 and monsters....you gotta look much harder, and you better have everything else as perfect as possible.

Guys use them successfully in 100y BR every year.

I've shot an untold amount of great 25 shot groups in succession at 100y with them and so have others. How can this happen with a pellet that doesn't work at 100? Something must be different somewhere, no?

Mike

Mike, I have seen those 25 shot groups at 100y from you many times, as have many here on AGN.

I’m guessing that there is something in the Thomas barrel design, that stabilize the MRDs out to 100y and perhaps a bit farther. Meaning - the commercially available LW, TJ, CZ barrels for whatever reason, cannot replicate what is working in the Thomas custom barrels with the same JSB 25.39 pellets - possibly?

Just as a for instance here for a comparison. I could shoot four or ‘four hundred’ 25 shot groups with my RAW HM1000x .22 HP at 100 yards, and none of them would come close to the accuracy you are getting. It’s group shooting and not score shooting, so I’m trying to eliminate the shooter’s skill in this example. In this example, let’s assume the shooter uses the same POA for all 25 shots.

Pure speculation on my part on the barrel thought, but it has to be Thomas guns vs. other high end guns are doing something different.

Cole, I'll be coming to the Sonoran FT GP in a week and a half. I'll bring a BR gun with a barrel for monsters on it if you want to give it a try at 100y and see what you think. I'll bring some recent pellets, and you can bring what you have too.

Mike

Very intriguing idea. I'll message you.

Reactions: RScott
I recall our MD talking about why we did/didn't align with this group.

In any case, this ruleset is also pellets only. So it strengthens the demand for accurate pellets in the 100y range.
Yes, EFT is pellets only. Please PM me if you're interested in joining the EFT group. We are always open to additional clubs and standardizing the rules, plus running events that would qualify for the Grand Prix and National Championship.

No...it's actually the opposite.

Mike
I am basing that off reading a post from Miles in which he states that it is “lift produced by the flare which gives the dominant stabilizing moment”

@Franklink says:

Certainly debatable. Notice he said XFT, there's also Ultimate Field Target.

Long range/high power field target isn't owned by anyone.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Very true. Pretty much like 50Y Benchrest isn't owned by anyone...
It is “Dominated” by someone tho.

Reactions: Centercut
Here's a few 25 shot groups at 100y yesterday. The best group was FX pellets straight from the tin. The wind was fairly heavy quartering over my right shoulder at 10 to almost 20 reported. I was holding 2-3 bulls to the right for these groups. I also shot one 25 shot group at 50y. I was holding into the rings of the bull to the right for the 50y.

I saw zero flyers during my shooting time.

Mike
IMG_2517.jpeg
IMG_2518.jpeg
IMG_2519.jpeg
IMG_2525.jpeg
IMG_2520.png

Reactions: igolfat8
Picked up my tins of Monster redesigns Shallow and Deep, and my Hades Monsters, AND my Grand redesigns... Excited!!
So far, the Shallows, Deep, and Hades are all extremely promising in my AvengeX Classic wood, @ 50 meters/55 yards, with the Shallows just slightly outperforming the others. The margin being a hair on a fruitfly's ballsack.
Will test mentioned pellets and the Grands in my AvengeX and my Wildcat BT Compact at 100 meters tomorrow.. Indoors that is.
Hi Bob, have you had a chance to try any of these at 100 meters yet?

@thomasair

I love to see your groups. REALLY great shooting, and also really atypical results for .22 MRDs, at least compared to all of them I've personally shot, as well as reports I've read from many other frustrated shooters.

How much $$$ do you want to divulge your secrets to get them to shoot like that? Just kidding, kinda. ("Secrets" = barrel maker, twist rate, rifling type, barrel prep process, speed, etc.)

Reactions: Dairyboy
@thomasair

I love to see your groups. REALLY great shooting, and also really atypical results for .22 MRDs, at least compared to all of them I've personally shot, as well as reports I've read from many other frustrated shooters.

How much $$$ do you want to divulge your secrets to get them to shoot like that? Just kidding, kinda. ("Secrets" = barrel maker, twist rate, rifling type, barrel prep process, speed, etc.)
I would guess the $$$ amount would be equal to a Thomas HP?? :unsure:
Mike @thomasair is cryptically giving us an answer. Heck if I know what it is...but it's thereo_O
Although, straight from the tin, with all the weight variations, and not a flyer is jaw dropping!
Maybe i'll get it..maybe not...but gonna keeping looking.
New Shallows on the way to clutter my brain more, should arrive by the weekend ... ugh
Mike

Reactions: Centercut