• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

JSB 2015 testing today

Ben10

Apr 1, 2015
after shooting my first full tin of 2015 batch JSB heavies the other day and not being as happy as I could have been I thought i would give them some more thorough testing to see if I was having an off day or if it was other factors. 

The he first thing I did was run half a ton through my pellet gauge to see what head size they were. (5.52 on the tin)

I had a roughly 70-30 split of 5.53 and 5.52s in the test sample. So not the best start but makes sense since these are run number 4 on this set of dies they are probably wearing a bit.

i have never tested 5.53's in my gun before so it was an easy way for me to see if my gun likes them I guess. 

I I headed out to my 55yard range and threw some lead down range. 

The 5.52 groups were back to usual sub 0.5" groups all day long with 0 flyers

the 5.53 groups were avg of an inch maybe a little less. 

Whilst I still aim to do some more tests to get a better data set I think I may have found the reason for my poor results the other day. 

It's not ideal but not such a big deal to me really. I will put them all through my gauge and batch them up and also try my sizer on the 5.53's to see if I can get them to shoot better too. 

Miss a worse case I will have a hell of a lot of plinking ammo!! And a few batches of great target/hunting ammo. 

Since I still payed full price I would have preferred to just be able to shoot sub 0.5" groups straight from the tin but we can't always get wht we want and my bobcat only shoots JSB heavies well so I might as well smile and shoot some more!! 

I tested a few Bisley magnums in the sizer then the gauge and I could get them down from a non cylindrical 5.53avg to a 5.52 and much smoother going through the hole but I had to wind it almost all the way out for that. 

I did spot however that the little brass stop that's on the end of the adjuster screw was marking the heads of the pellets. Try it yourself and see if you get the same results. 

If you're on the fence about the gauge I would say go for it. I use mine more than the sizer. Although the last 8000 pellets I had were all perfect from the tin so no need for gauging or sizing. This new set of 5000 pellets need a bit of gauging/sizing. Not sure which is best yet.