JSAR Raptor

This question has been asked before and there is a significant amount of info on the Raptor in the forums. Here are a few links. 

@Tominco’s review https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/my-jsar-raptor/

Complaints and a tinkerer’s good experience https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/jsar-raptor-experience/

An initial impression, first day out https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/first-field-day-with-jsar-raptor/

There’s plenty more info on AGN concerning the raptor and other members asking similar questions. If you perform a search you’ll likely see the rest. 

I have a Raptor HP .30 cal, as well as a Raptor mini .22 cal. I shoot them regularly and they are both a pleasure to shoot. I had issue with the .30 cal mags, but that was resolved. Other than that, I have had no issues with either.

JSAR is planning a come back, under new ownership.

Bros.1635998543.jpg

Does anyone own a JSAR Raptor? If so, how do you like it? How does it shoot, compared to an FX impact, or any other high-end gun? If you own one, have you had any issue with your Raptor? I’m considering on getting one in 30 CAL. Are they worth it? Don’t know much about them. They are relatively new on the market. Your thoughts thanks.

airgunner343

They have website and phone number, the questions is can you get hold of them.........after they have your money. 

I had a JSAR Raptor .25 and it was a nice shooting gun but felt like a prototype.

3 things annoyed me.

Magazines - made of aluminum with pointy corners. Super easy to scratch your breech block on accident. Magazines didn't have any anodizing, just bare aluminum. Magazine holder slots BARELY held the mags in place. Didn't trust it.

Valve - too difficult to tune. A little inconsistent at times. However it did make massive power.

ninja reg - allowed for too much creep. Little nylon ball on piston was too soft.

Good news is I hear JSAR is looking into and correcting all of these things. I'm interested to see where they go and not opposed to buying another. I did love the form factor.

I have one and I went thru some issues with it, but now I don't I would get rid of it. I have barrels in .30 and .177 and they both shoot lights out. Like half moa at 50 yards lights out. The issue I had with mine was I had one of the early models with their first generation valve. It never wanted to seal properly and leak down over the course of a week or so. I could never get in touch with anybody at JSAR. I even had it listed for sale for quite a loss. At some point I actually got a response from someone and was able to get a new valve and now it holds air great.

The amount of tuning that you can get with one valve and reg setup is astounding. Having AR furniture makes getting it comfortable for you relatively easy. Mine needed a new grip and butt stock for me to enjoy shouldering it. And Magpul pic rail grips, those made a big difference. It also took some time for me to understand how tuning works, and not just how to tune to a certain fps. The reg does creep, but I found that setting the hammer spring for more preload than is needed to open the valve at the target set-point and adjusting the valve dwell for the minimum needed for that set-point then a difference in 200psi at the reg makes no difference in the fps of the shot. So basically the amount of force the hammer imparts on the valve is enough to open it fully at 1900-2100psi and the depth the valve is opened is set short enough that it gives me the fps I am looking for across those pressures. This is not optimal efficiency tuning. I only get 35 or so shots at 80fpe with the .30, but I have tuned it to get 65 shots at 73fpe. I can also tune it for 100's of shots at 12fpe in .177. It does take some time and chrony time to get changed from caliber to caliber, so I tend to set it for one or the other and leave it for a while. I think that I would rather have a single gun for a single caliber instead of one that can swap for that reason.

I do not know if I could do it all over again that I would, but probably because I understand the gun so much more not than if I'd have gotten something that just worked out of the box and having that knowledge is pretty valuable to me. I still don't really like the trigger but I have been spoiled by top end Timney triggers. It has decent adjustments and I have it where I like it but it does not work well with the safety design at the weight I like it set. The reg creeping I can live with, but I don't love it. All that said I have seen that JSAR is developing a gen 2 version of the Raptor and will be addressing all of the things most had issues with. It will have a new reg, designed and built in house, and a new valve that I think I got. The company had growing pains and a lot dumped on them at once and they are fighting through. I truly hope they succeed and I am tempted to buy one of the gen 2 models when they come out.

Reactions: HubenK1Sniper92
I still have one of the first production models and it went through some growing pains but all issues were taken care of by them including the new valve and hammer spring components. Like said above, gobs of power but tuning takes a lot of bench time to get a tune you want as these balance valves are sensitive to adjustment changes, hammer spring, regulator and striker need to be in harmony. Very fun guns and accurate with the TJ barrel. The new owner (also a previous owner) is great to deal with as was the previous one, always a pleasure to talk with them.

Still have mine ... been caliber swapped a few times ... heavily modified / massaged it now lives as my .177 slug shooter. 15gr NSA at @ 1040 fps gets it done !!

DSCF0877.1636336551.JPG
//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E

Motorhead, what is the twist rate on that barrel? I am looking to change my .22 mini to a .177.

I have the Raptor in 22. It shoots Hades @1000fps and 21 gr slugs (or 22 or 23 can't remember at the moment) @ 910fps same tune. Lights out at 100 yards on the JSBs.

The airgun is solid. It feels rugged. Tuning hammer spring takes time and patience. 

The stock magazine was garbage. CARM magazines made me 3 better ones. 

As a company I'm not impressed with Jsar. I ordered an extra magazine and never got it. It's been just about 11 months and they have not shipped it. Why the hell would they take my money of they can't make it? This makes one wonder about service and warranty. 

I'm not selling mine but I'd recommend a different airgun if you're buying new. This leads me to believe to buy a second hand one I'd only pay up to 900 bucks for a mint one, max. Maybe less.

I have the large bottle and I haven't counted but I bet I get 100 shots before I need a refill as tuned.. 

The trigger is good, it's a longer gun, I hate the picatinny rail on the bottom because it digs into your hands. It's too long of a rail and I think they should get rid of the holes between that rail and the air tube. The lever action is great. 

It's an OK gun. I especially like that high shot count and performance.

To test out their support I'd suggest contacting them and tell them you have a problem that needs looking at. Unless they read this, my bet would be you might hear back after a month and if you got into that discussion I'd like to hear how it plays out. I have some real doubts about their support based upon taking my money and not giving me what I paid for after approximately 30 emails and 11 months just to get a magazine. Come on!