• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

JSAR Raptor HP orders finally starting to ship

I finally got my JSAR Raptor HP .257 They got the bottles in, and started rolling these out. I ordered mine in November of last year if thats any idea of timeline.

I hope to be able to get out and get some numbers and accuracy. 

1589385162_5403510455ebc17ca3d70c1.97288784.jpg

Hopefully this is not the case with all of them I picked up a .257 hp a week ago. I am having my 30 inch tj barrel converted to fit this rifle to help get closer to the power figures without having to set the reg pressure too high. One thing I did notice is the transfer port in the stock barrel was not ported to bore area and looks like they got it mixed up with a .25 pellet barrel. Mine has held air but I have not fired it yet.

That is very interesting, I have been waiting since October.. I am not happy waiting this long and now finding out that my order is being passed over but if my guns show up with issues the level of frustration will skip to pissed off. No matter what do not send out a subpar product, doing so will kill your business far faster than a long wait for a quality product.

Glad you got yours insix, hope it performs, please post a review.

I feel a little obligated to throw my experience in. I was very fortunate in my journey to Raptor ownership as far as how long it took to get mine. I picked up a used one so I had it immediately, but I was not very impressed with how it felt, handled, shot, the efficiency, hell even the trigger was pretty bad. There was some scratching or grating sound when cocking on top of all that. Even with all this going against it, I wanted to give it a fair trial before I gave up. I owned a Flex for a while and really loved it, ended up selling it at the beginning of the pandemic when we got sent home, which ended up only being a couple weeks before my boss had us back at work. I don't make enough to just quit, we aren't given any sick days and there's no health insurance, so working with people who think all this is a hoax is a real joy..... Sorry, I managed to stumble onto a soapbox there for a second..

Anywho, I got to it one weekend. First thing to address was how it felt to hold. The picatinny forearm is insanely uncomfortable to hold, luckily MagPul makes some little grips that snap on to pic rails, a pack of 4 took care of that. Next was the pistol grip. The stock one is Ergo brand. It was narrow and didn't give me a good attack on the trigger. This is because it didn't have a beavertail which is needed to have your trigger finger line up with the trigger. Otherwise your finger lines up about 3/4" too high. Replaced with a Hogue with beavertail and fixed that. Next up was the cheek rest. For some reason, JSAR decided against running the 3 slots on the cheek rest all the way up, giving less vertical adjustment and forcing your sight line to be like 3" above the bore. I took a chainsaw file and worked the slots until they were all flush with the top line of the cheek rest. This allowed me to move the rest further down to a comfortable position. This one should be done on all of them as it wouldn't cost any additional to make them that way. I never understood limiting adjustabililty in favor of aesthetics. On to the trigger. I managed to get it close to where I wanted, but I liked the Timney I had before. And I may not have it adjusted perfectly, in fact I'm pretty sure I dont. I mean it is good, I've just had better. I also replaced the regulator gauge with a larger gauge with a range from 1000-3000psi. I have no clue why they wanted to put a 1-6 x 1000 smaller gauge for the reg side. Its nowhere near being able to tell what reg pressure you are actually at. While I had it de-gassed I looked into the noise coming from the hammer. This is what I found:

1589550580_9451762235ebe9df454a6f4.57827783.jpg

Finished tearing it down and found this inside the hammer chamber. A piece of foil and some chunks of metal. I was a little sick seeing that, but after scouring the rest of the parts, I couldn't find anywhere these parts would have come from, so I cleaned and lubed everything and reassembled. Everything worked fine after that.

1589547721_17291843735ebe92c9118ac0.00956176.jpg

I got a .30 barrel for my Raptor. Even though the site has them listed as back ordered I got mine in less than 2 weeks. Installation was easy. Now came the tuning. This is where the Raptor both shines and sucks. The shine part is that this powerplant is insanely tuneable, you just got to understand how each adjustment works with the others. There are 3 adjustments to be made, reg pressure, hammer tension, and hammer strike or dwell. To get the power or efficiency this gun is capable of I had to tune each of those 3 adjustments. The Raptor is not what I would call an "out of the box" kind of gun, this is the part that sucks. It needs to be set up. A chrony is not an option. The way I tuned mine was first adjust the reg to what I felt like would be a good pressure, going off the airgundepot vids with Travis I set it to 1800psi. Next I set the dwell adjustment all the way in so the valve was opened as far as possible with each shot. I was wasting a ton of air set like this, so the Raptor can handle much longer barrels. Then I backed out the hammer tension until I saw the speeds drop off then brought it back maybe a 1/4 turn. Then I went after the dwell adjustment and started backing it off, reducing how long the valve opened, again going until the speeds started dropping off and then back just a hair. I did spend the better part of a day doing the tear down and setup, but now it shoots 44gn JSB at 880 and I around 50 shots on the reg, from a 3500psi fill (I'll chrony a full string here soon). And I have the 350cc tank. The shot cycle is super smooth now and the impact at 40-50 yards is so much louder than the shot itself it's funny. So I have my reg at 1800, hammer spring with almost 0 pretension, and the valve dwell at maybe halfway so I have no doubt that it can hit the power that is claimed. Seeing what it took to get the .30 pellets performing like I wanted, I know that all the same things would need to be done to shoot slugs. I have a NSA sample pack to go thru and a pack of Griffin 73gn BTHP that look absolutely nasty. I hope they do well. I don't doubt the Raptor can get them up to speed. I'd love to see MOA at 200yds with them. I'm happy with it.

Hey Adam,

That is great info, scary and promising at the same time. For the life of me I cannot understand why any new business would send out a product that is not 100%, if anything will kill a company it is that. There have been several times that I was tempted to just cancel my order but held on because of the guns potential. The majority of our shooting is very long range (150-400) and the gun sure ticked many boxes and seemed the be a perfect fit, but the road to airgun nirvana has been a bit bumpy. My fingers are crossed that one my guns show up and two they are without issue, my patience is about out with this one and I can promise I will never pre-order again. They have had over $4k of my money for 7.5 months, and are shipping out orders that were placed after mine, totally not the way to run a business. I have been extremely patient and in the beginning stuck up for them when others went off on them and canceled orders, but waiting this long and having newer orders processed ahead of mine was the last straw!

I very much understand. I doubt I would have as much patience. I do feel fortunate that I was able to get mine with no delay and was able to fix all the issues it had. I honestly felt bad about getting mine without any wait and having it perform as promised even tho I had to do a little work to it, so I have been holding off speaking up. I didn't want anyone to feel slighted due to my good luck. I think I have such a storied history with bad luck that I don't know how to handle good luck. Either way, i have been able to get in touch with Jacob thru email, not phone (was told they have pretty crap service at their shop). It does normally take him anywhere from a day to a week to respond but he does respond. There is good weather this weekend and I don't have any plans so I hope to get some thorough testing done on accuracy at range and shot count. Might re-tune and try some of the slugs I have. My intent is to try to get a video together of everything I have learned, what all the adjustments do and, hopefully be able to demonstrate clearly those adjustments in the vid. I asked Jacob about the availability of the .357 parts yesterday and he responded today that they would be available in about a month. I replied and told him about my review/vid plans and asked if he would like to look it over before I post and add or correct anything. Hope to get some more info out there soon

Adam,

I am happy for you that all is going well with your gun now and look forward to your vid! I called Jacob this morning and left a message, kind of over getting email after email saying we are working hard to get orders out and your order should be a couple weeks. Obviously, there is no rime or reason to their order queue. You can blame the virus for some things but basic sales and customer service practices and quality control are not related to the virus. 

That .357 looks pretty cool but they were a bit cryptic on the FB page when someone asked if the .357 was regulated, they said all of their guns are regulated sure but I doubt that is the case in the vid they showed. Considering the .257 cannot make 160 unless it is unregulated how is the .357 gonna do 300 fpe regulated??? If they can figure that out and make it work, I would buy the conversion kit without question. That is if my order is ever processed. :)

Got out shot a couple of groups and plinked some steel poppers at 65-90 yards. 8" steel gophers and 2" spinners.

I was getting an average of 890 fps with 58 grain .257
The regulator settled after 10 or so shots and I got a between 884-891 fps.
My best group with a 65 yard target. About 3/4" with 58 grain slugs

1589734364_11500437245ec16bdce71b99.30858318.JPG

Toss in a few NSA 65 grain slugs but my rifle didn't like them. 
I did notice that with the magazine they fit in the mag but once in a while the round was very very snug to fit and I had to force it in with the lever. 
I did not have the issue with the smaller 58 grain slugs. Something to take note. I decided to just hand load the 65 grain NSA, but again my rifle didn't like them.

1589734399_5468779065ec16bff86da86.06870784.JPG

I ran about 50 round through the rifle and it was nailing steel (8" gophers and 2" spinners) up to 90 yards without any issues. I have a very slow leak from when I first got the rifle to when I took it out to shoot today. This didn't affect me during my shooting. I will leave the rifle charged up and note the pressure to see if it still has a slow leak. The bottle pressure gauge and regulator pressure gauges are very tiny and don't have much detail. They are very hard to read. I emailed JSAR to find out what thread size they are and I will be replacing them with wiki or huma gauges. My reg pressure is at 3000, but I really can't be sure the gauge is not accurate. The pic rails are cut very rough and not comfortable to hold at all. I put pic rail covers on mine.

1589738996_14832097805ec17df4f38a58.80425445.JPG

The "milspec" stock was not to size and a very snug fit on my Magpul stock, but I made it work.

1589739052_15421795115ec17e2ce1d609.92560315.JPG

The mag that came with it.

1589739073_8373358345ec17e41e45551.04891423.JPG
1589739074_8838074095ec17e42112968.69432267.JPG

From reading everything, it has been a mixed bag with JSAR. I want to love it but I will have to upgrade some things that should have been addressed for a $1400 rifle.