Join us on a prairie dog shoot ...... a great deal on a great trip!

I'll be there with my college age son and we're picking up Moby from Wichita arriving Thursday around 3pm.
We will be bringing .25 Vulcans, .25 crickets, .30 FX boss, .22 mutants, .22 Gallhad, and even a Talon Tunes 25 condor. 
Sighting in everything tomorrow morning as the weather is going to be very nice here. 
Looking forward to meeting everyone there and have a great time. Pity the poor little rodents. 

This was a REALLY fun trip! The accommodations were great, the food was very good and plentiful, really a nice setup. Brett and company were very friendly and fun to be around. Weather was less than cooperative, but we made the best of it and still put the smackdown on many, many prairie rats. I was using my .25 Cricket and it really performed fantastic! Very solid hits, very satisfying "thwack" when connecting with a prairie dog and it put them down hard.

I found that my best strategy when dealing with wind, rain and less-than-super-active prairie dogs was to try to get within 100 yards for a high percentage shot. Even with this, depending on the direction, I was still applying a good amount of Kentucky Windage. For me, I worked to stay mobile and 90%+ of my shots came from the prone position off of my bipod. This meant I was locating active prairie dogs at a distance which was fairly easy - they were easy to spot via movement and easy to locate when they were "barking" as a warning. I'd slowly work my way into the 100 yard range (or less if they would let me), then go prone for my first shot. What was really awesome was that it was not uncommon to take down one dog and still have others up and visible and within range - the quiet of an airgun didn't seem to send the dogs into the hole...or if it did it wasn't for more than a few minutes. Once all dogs were down the holes, I would often stay prone, stay motionless, and listen for the next warning bark and watch for movement. More than once a dog would pop up and start barking at me from less than 100 feet away! I'd stay prone, slowly get situated so I was ready for a shot, and take the prairie dog down close range. Many times I was only shooting at their head as that was all that was showing. Headshots are fun!

My longest successful shot was 118 yards per rangefinder, but I had another handful over 100. Vast majority were under 100 yards. Lots of shooting to be had!

The group of guys that went was awesome - tons of knowledge/experience from them and Jim C. brought along a small arsenal of airguns that some of the guys tried out.

Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY!! Would be fun to do a couple days of airgun and maybe a couple days of high-power rifles afterwards like bfd136 did.

Here is a pic of me after taking down a prairie dog that was barking at us from the time we pulled up in Jim's vehicle. Headshot at about 70 yards and it was DRT (dead right there).

Have a great day!

Scott
49eb5ce20f16423879afe2e0e0630ad5.jpg