• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Jekyll and Hyde... the FX M3..

When i purchased my first FX M3 its sole purpose was to be for extended range shooting with slugs....
Distances of less than 100yds and pellets are of no interest.

It has been a VERY frustrating adventure with the M3.... I never dreamed the M3 was actually a "Jekyll and Hyde" in the disguise as an PCP airgun..

When the M3 presents itself as "Dr Jekyll" it is VERY charming....behaves as should and produces some stunning , stunning examples of accuracy right where it should be and right where you want it.
In this form its a fantastic friend to have and something you can depend on..

BUT!!!

Just when you thought life was all roses and just couldn't get any better.......This evil evil bastard called " Mr Hyde" takes the form of the M3!!!!

Groups open up......... and the worst , worst trait of "Mr Hyde" ...............even if you do get good groups , they are not where they are supposed to be ....... he just says to hell with it, and puts them at random all around your point of aim ......then you hear that manic laughter and you realise its time to call it quits for the day.

:LOL::LOL:

Today...... was "Dr Jekyll" :)

100yds and 300yds ( small breeze R to L)
NSA 28.5 ( .218") @ 1070fps...

100yds-#4.jpg

100yds-#1.jpg

100yds-#3.jpg

100yds-#2.jpg

300yds-#1.jpg

20240111_103640.jpgwww.jpg

300yds-close.jpg

20240111_103618.jpgwww.jpg

20240111_103646.jpgwww.jpg

300yds-#2.jpg

Reactions: Ranchibi
In my experience shooting .177 and maverick, if i push things too fast, groups grow slightly but the slugs land at random, this was something i at first attributed to the wind as i also shoot a little uphill, but really i was just going too fast, throttling back about 100 FPS to the mid 900s have put me in a better place.
And things are somewhat predictable, though i still have to reach for a turret now and then CUZ things are not locked in place for me, it is of course just a single click now and then, and most often on the L&R turret U&D seem to be better.
Of course with a little wind added to the mix things can get worse, but i am just talking about those rare summer Days in Denmark that otherwise have plenty of wind, hence our position in the wind driven power generation industry.

I am shooting 80 - 86 M

Yep. And once again we see nothing but Dr. Jekyll group photos or videos. And that’s what keeps selling them. Guys overlook snippets of complaints and issues when they are bombarded with cherry picked stuff when they are looking for confirmation on what they want to buy. My pellet M3 was a stellar gun. Rock solid for a year. I mean spot on all the time. I’m currently using it to test a new slug barrel build and it’s become cranky and fussy. That same barrel on another one of my guns was a happy go lucky slug shooter. Literally the same barrel. Pulled it off and machined it to fit the M3. Not done yet so I may get it dialed in. Lots of wind here lately so I’m on a testing delay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Centercut
Yep. And once again we see nothing but Dr. Jekyll group photos or videos. And that’s what keeps selling them. Guys overlook snippets of complaints and issues when they are bombarded with cherry picked stuff….

Reminds me of why I got out of social media. An old girlfriend messaged me saying how it looks like we have such a great life, everyone healthy and doing stuff together…. OF COURSE it looks that way! I don’t post when we’re sick or fighting!

My M3 is neither Dr. or Mr. yet. I’m still trying to get it dialed in. It usually impresses me, but I’m fairly new and easy to impress.

Curt

Yep. And once again we see nothing but Dr. Jekyll group photos or videos.
With my M3 , there are plenty of "Mr Hyde" days.... :(

The above pictured M3 is also a VERY VERY fussy bastard!!

It will ONLY shoot with the NSA 28.5 @ 1070fps combo.... Most everything else is pathetic!...... 1 1/2 - 3 moa!!

Oh.... and i have lost count of the combo,s of slugs and velocities i have tried!!

Reactions: redsqnm
With my M3 , there are plenty of "Mr Hyde" days.... :(

The above pictured M3 is also a VERY VERY fussy bastard!!

It will ONLY shoot with the NSA 28.5 @ 1070fps combo.... Most everything else is pathetic!...... 1 1/2 - 3 moa!!

Oh.... and i have lost count of the combo,s of slugs and velocities i have tried!!
And your last sentence is what makes the wheels on the bus go round and round. An Impact is a black hole for lead and money after the sale. Pure genius.

An Impact is a black hole for lead and money after the sale. Pure genius.
It could be worse. I heard a comedian say something like “I blew my inheritance on hookers and blow. The rest I wasted.” 🤣
Laughed my butt off on that one.
My wife is much happier if I spend money on guns and such.

Curt

T
Your gun is certainly accurate enough. I've found that FX rifles, and others for that matter, are very hold sensitive. Cheek pressure, trigger finger placement, shoulder pressure, can cause groups to change POI. Concentrate on that. Your shooting setup looks rather flexible, especially the rear end.
Thank you for the advice ... really (y) .. But i am well versed in technique for ELR shooting .. :)

Desert Tech HTI 375 CheyTac 390gr Atips at 2000yds

2000yds-SB-P5F.jpg

20230813_100813.jpgwww.jpg

20230813_100819.jpgwww.jpg

Paul 2000yds-#1.jpg

Paul 2000 yds-#2.jpg

Attachments

• 2000YDS-Paul..jpg
    2000YDS-Paul..jpg
    169 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: redsqnm
T

Thank you for the advice ... really (y) .. But i am well versed in technique for ELR shooting .. :)

Desert Tech HTI 375 CheyTac 390gr Atips at 2000yds

View attachment 424475

View attachment 424476

View attachment 424477

View attachment 424478

View attachment 424479
Do you know about barrel harmonics for airguns, especially when shooting slugs as fast as you are…

There are a lot of pb shooters on here(myself included)with nice precision rifles too, not all pb rules apply.

Hows your tune, are you blowing extra air past the slug? How is your ES/SD numbers? When your reg pressure and hammer are not balanced this can give you consistent shots and then all of a sudden random and often in strings of irregular fps. I would back to 40 yards, get your ES/SD close to 10/2 and tune until you get hole in hole groups and then test at 100 yards.

very hold sensitive
I will have to agree on that, it is something i am working on CUZ while i shoot a lot in the prime of the season i tend to mess this up none the less.
Also why i have been thinking about a new " holder " for my rifle VS the Caldwell thing and improvised stuff in the back i use.

Also tend to shoot from different positions a lot, but that have thankfully changed now, and will get even better in the future when i build our new shot shed, CUZ i will tailor that to my likings, and my little shorter friend will just have to take it or leave it, even if its on his property.

Reactions: jps2486
Having powder burner standards or dreams if you will at longer distances with tiny lead bullets is what gets most of us in trouble. But it does give us something to do and spend money on. I like looking for absolutes. I don’t like guessing and hoping while testing. There are quite a few absolutes when shooting slugs. But then you build something to spec and something throws you a curve ball. One thing that is never talked about because I don’t think most guys are there yet is the ability to shoot a slug vs a pellet. I believe if you have two identical guns capable of the same accuracy, one shoots pellets and the other slugs. The slug gun is harder to shoot. Not because your barrel cleaning has to be on point or the other things that can make a slug gun more fussy. I’m talking about nothing but the human factor involved. But that’s another subject to debate in a topic down the road some time.