• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Javelin Slugs Gen 1 vs Gen 2

Today I compared my Javelin Gen 1 30 gr slugs to the new Javelin Gen 2 30 gr slugs using my .22 Maverick Sniper which includes the upgrades of a heavy liner, heavy hammer, carbon fiber barrel cover. My settings are Dual Regs @180/150 barr and Hammer wheel at 7.

My goal was to see what improvements were made between the 2 generations of slugs and the impact on velocity and accuracy. Please note that I do not work for or have any relationship with FX or the manufacturer of the Javelin Pellets.

Here were my steps (sorry i could not correct the numbers in the list using the tools available):
  1. I visually compared the 2 pellets... the Gen 2pellets have a smaller hollow point "hole" in front and look a bit taller and thinner. With a micrometer (mm) I measured Gen 1 @5.54w x 8.93h and Gen 2 @ 5.47w x 9.36h (see images)
  2. appearance.jpg
    appearance side.jpg
  3. Using a scale I compared weights of 5 pellets each generation. Both generations can be considered 30 gr but Gen 1 had an extreme weight spread of .14gr and Gen 2 had an extreme weight spread of .04gr. (see image)
  4. Weights.jpg
  5. Then using the same magazine and no change in settings of the rifle and shooting from a bench in sequence, I noted a large change in velocity with Gen 2 being 90 fps faster than Gen 1.(See images)
  6. Gen1 Sum.PNG
    Gen1 Shots.PNG
    Gen2 Sum.PNG
    Gen2 Shots.PNG

7. Shooting a target @ 25 Yards with only a 2mph wind and no sig gusts I noted that the Gen 1 grouped around 1.5 cm and Gen 2 around 1 cm if I excluded 1 flyer (improved accuracy). There was also improvement in my velocity consistency (both SD and ES) in Gen 2 (See image)
    target.jpg
Summary:
My personal conclusion is that there was a significant redesign in the Javelin Pellets and Gen 2 is a significant improvement over Gen 1.
Anyone else have the same experience or do comparisons?

Last edited:
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1