JAPAN Crimson Trace 5 this time $699 for $1799.99 scope!

That is the same reticle the good series 3 had that sold out. I just didn't think the series 5 was twice as good for double the money. The series 3 with the goofy Xmas tree is still there and I would expect another significant price drop on that. I just can't do that reticle at any price.

At first I was on the fence about the reticle BUT after looking through it for a while it has really grown on me. I really like it now, I really like the fact that there is no solid horizontal line. Looking at birds far and close with the scope the reticle is really easy to use on smaller targets like sparrow sized bird at 100 yards because the solid line would of blocked the little bird in high magnifications. I actually prefer this reticle to the floating center dot version now. 

Odoyle,

Please, if you have time, compare in practical terms this CT Series-5 to the baseline standard Alpha-6 we have all come to love.

Thanks!

To add to what Odoyle said..................there is NO COMPARISON!!!

If you don't look at the 3 series and the Alpha 6 back to back then the different might not be big but series 3 is very noticeably better clarity, resolution and contras. Then the 5 series is very noticeably better than the 3 series especially in resolution and contras quality. Looking at the same section of the tree branch and bark the chips and holes are immediately noticeable, the details just pops! Then I would look through the 3 series and japan barra scopes at the same magnification I have to look for those details and can see them but they don't pop. Wasn't for the 5 series I would not of noticed many fine details on the tree bark. 

The turrets on the alpha 6 did not track accurately when I had mine, that's expected for a cheap chinese scope. The CT scopes seem to track true, granted I haven't really stretched them out for a true test but I'm confident that they will be at least very close to accurate. 

Odoyle, you mentioned this like it's an across the board fact when in truth it's only generally true - "There's no Chinese scopes than can match Japan made scopes in optical greatness" Just the fact that the SWFA doesn't compete in glass quality shows that most of the lower price Jap scopes won't either. It's because there are different tiers of glass quality and coatings like "ALL" the optical element Co's offer to Optics manufacturers.

I'd put a Chinese Athlon Ares ETR up against half the Jap glass out there, in fact I know for sure that the ETR has superior glass to these Bushnell's, the DMR, the DMR2, the Elite 3-12x44, as well as the equivalent 6-24. 

Also the ETR totally destroys the Philippine made Burris XTR2 line, just saying. 

I think the 5 series glass is probably better than the ETR, but I highly doubt the 3 series is??!!

☝️ This I did and I would agree. Comparing my ETR to The Tract Toric, Trijicon Tenmile, Burris XTR III and the Hawke Frontier 30FFP (just for grins because Odoyle said is was good 😁). The ETR won and the Burris XTR III was it's closest equal costing 50% more. Mind you, these are all very good scopes and very close optically.

I am very curious about this CT5 for $699... Ordered.

That's very telling info, thanks!

Odoyle, you mentioned this like it's an across the board fact when in truth it's only generally true - "There's no Chinese scopes than can match Japan made scopes in optical greatness" Just the fact that the SWFA doesn't compete in glass quality shows that most of the lower price Jap scopes won't either. It's because there are different tiers of glass quality and coatings like "ALL" the optical element Co's offer to Optics manufacturers.

I'd put a Chinese Athlon Ares ETR up against half the Jap glass out there, in fact I know for sure that the ETR has superior glass to these Bushnell's, the DMR, the DMR2, the Elite 3-12x44, as well as the equivalent 6-24. 

Also the ETR totally destroys the Philippine made Burris XTR2 line, just saying. 

I think the 5 series glass is probably better than the ETR, but I highly doubt the 3 series is??!!

261d.svg
This I did and I would agree. Comparing my ETR to The Tract Toric, Trijicon Tenmile, Burris XTR III and the Hawke Frontier 30FFP (just for grins because Odoyle said is was good
1f601.svg
). The ETR won and the Burris XTR III was it's closest equal costing 50% more. Mind you, these are all very good scopes and very close optically.

Lol well I'm glad to hear the ETR is that good of glass. I have a 3-18x50 ordered. I'm gonna compare it to my brother in law's Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 that's on his Gunwerks rifle. I've looked through it before and wasn't terribly impressed. I did expect better being a Nightforce.

261d.svg
This I did and I would agree. Comparing my ETR to The Tract Toric, Trijicon Tenmile, Burris XTR III and the Hawke Frontier 30FFP (just for grins because Odoyle said is was good
1f601.svg
). The ETR won and the Burris XTR III was it's closest equal costing 50% more. Mind you, these are all very good scopes and very close optically.

Lol well I'm glad to hear the ETR is that good of glass. I have a 3-18x50 ordered. I'm gonna compare it to my brother in law's Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 that's on his Gunwerks rifle. I've looked through it before and wasn't terribly impressed. I did expect better being a Nightforce.

I will be very curious of your impression of the 3-18x50. There is no real weight savings there between them, 35oz and 37oz, the 4.5-30x56 ETR tops out with Eaglevision rings and bubble level @ 43.5oz

I also have an aversion to CA, a minute amount I can tolerate but if there is any noticeable in the solid eye box at any magnification it's going back. My ETR has Zero at any magnification. SAM Electrical manufactures the ETR line.

The Crimson Trace 5-Series is made by Japan Optics Ltd.

CT 5 is on it's way from Midway!

How the hell can I justify buying another Ares to compare since I got the Cronus?

Last side by side of was like the Bushnell Forge glass.

Have they changed the glass recently?

Was the Frontier used the H7?

I think the Cronus will have the edge there, so no need to get an Ares. The Frontier is H7, yes, it trailed all of the other scopes in all respects sans one, it was equally bright in very low light testing amongst them.

You know better than most that you could have 5 of the same scopes and you might/will have IQ variations in each. You win some, you lose some. A "great scope" or "POS" can be had at most any price point. Overcoming the variables in the manufacturing to make a "great scope" takes time and incredibly expensive equipment to achieve the desired parameters expected in an Alpha tier. These low/mid tier manufactures are keen on what it takes to hit the price point with the current technology and equipment. Time is in our favor with these advances in science and machine technology. We benefit by being offered better quality optics at better prices (Alpha 6). So I don't expect something for nothing ( I got a $2000 scope for $700!!!) and if I do get a good one at whatever price, I'm grateful and enjoy it. Your eyes are different than mine. To each their own.

ME LIKEY-LIKEY the CLICKY-CLICKY on the MIDAS TAC baffling to me nicer than BOTH of the Ares I tried. Just the reticle is too thin at lower magnification and no illumination to quickly aquire reticle when set at low power. 

The clicks on the Frontier isn't as nice but I lije the glass the bist according to MY eyes.

I don't click the Alpha6 and stated I never intended to. Others told me it works for them clicking. Lifetime Warranty but the A6 kinda mushy with stiff parallax side wheel but the glass and reticle are very nice. 

I do notice variances in some of the 47 Japan Illuminated Sightron 10-50x60 SIIIs. Haven't gone through all but maybe 20 or so. At least I can LIFETIME WARRANTY warranty the least CLEAR ones. Just like couple of my Gen 1 Athlon Argos that aren't clear all the way to 24x.

The Alpha6 is surprisingly even across the board sameness in glass so far from the sample batch.

How the hell can I justify buying another Ares to compare since I got the Cronus?

Last side by side of was like the Bushnell Forge glass.

Have they changed the glass recently?

Was the Frontier used the H7?

Send me the Cronus and I will put it to good use and solve your problem. The you won’t have it and can order one or twenty of the Ares to compare. You’re welcome. 😂

☝ Tell me something I need to know...

Give me a reason to believe it...

Cuz if you wanna keep me you gotta gotta gotta gotta got to love me harder...

If you really need me you gotta gotta gotta gotta got to love me harder...

OOHH-OOHH-OOHH-OOHH

Love me-love me -love me

OOHH-OOHH-OOHH-OOHH

Harder-harder-harder

https://youtu.be/7ZXemH7b3yA

ME LIKEY-LIKEY the CLICKY-CLICKY on the MIDAS TAC baffling to me nicer than BOTH of the Ares I tried. Just the reticle is too thin at lower magnification and no illumination to quickly aquire reticle when set at low power. 

The clicks on the Frontier isn't as nice but I lije the glass the bist according to MY eyes.

I don't click the Alpha6 and stated I never intended to. Others told me it works for them clicking. Lifetime Warranty but the A6 kinda mushy with stiff parallax side wheel but the glass and reticle are very nice. 

I do notice variances in some of the 47 Japan Illuminated Sightron 10-50x60 SIIIs. Haven't gone through all but maybe 20 or so. At least I can LIFETIME WARRANTY warranty the least CLEAR ones. Just like couple of my Gen 1 Athlon Argos that aren't clear all the way to 24x.

The Alpha6 is surprisingly even across the board sameness in glass so far from the sample batch.

Had the Midas TAC 6-24 (sent it back for more reasons than just IQ) and if you "liked" those CLICKY-CLICKY you would LOVE the ETR CLICKY-CLICKY. No comparison, ETR hands down. I like "Snap" and that's the ETR. Some might feel it is to stiff, for me it's easier to get use to positive clicks than mushy ones, just me. ETR focus and parallax=butter smooth. Don't read that this is a "perfect scope", it is not, and that's why I'm always looking for a balance that suits me and my parameters. So far the ETR is my benchmark. Like I mentioned, the difference between Gen1 and a Gen2 or 3 in a scope line can be huge considering technology and machining advancements.

I agree on the Frontier, It's a competitor in the $800 price range along with the Sightron SIII's and others, but, that market is quite active and there are a lot of quality choices being offered. Many of the scopes that are "fantastic buys" in there respective price points are very hard to come by being on back order for months.

Man, you must spend an exorbitant amount of time in line at the local FedEx and UPS shipping outlets sending myriads of products back. Let's not get into shipping tape...

I will be very curious of your impression of the 3-18x50. There is no real weight savings there between them, 35oz and 37oz, the 4.5-30x56 ETR tops out with Eaglevision rings and bubble level @ 43.5oz

I also have an aversion to CA, a minute amount I can tolerate but if there is any noticeable in the solid eye box at any magnification it's going back. My ETR has Zero at any magnification. SAM Electrical manufactures the ETR line.

The Crimson Trace 5-Series is made by Japan Optics Ltd.

CT 5 is on it's way from Midway!

Reason why I went with the 3-18x50 was the smaller objective. And I wanted the new APRS6 reticle.