• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Jammed Wildcat

My wife double loaded (or perhaps even triple) loaded my Wildcat MkIII .25cal. 😰 Firing it will not blow it out, which is why I think it could be triple loaded because usually a double load you can shoot out. 😕

What is the best way to unclog it? It's a 700mm barrel. I live in Los Cabos so I don't have access to as much hardware store stuff as ppl in the US do. I can't find anything at Home Depot here that will fit, and I obviously don't want to scratch the barrel. Back in the day I think I unclogged an old break barrel with a coat hanger 😳 but I'm not doing that to my superior liner.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Make sure that wooden dowel isn't too skinny otherwise they crack too easy pounding them with a hammer muzzle pointed up gun cocked and on safe. Bring a pellet with you just get a hair smaller diameter wooden dowel. Degass gun to be safe. Be mindful of dowel length mark it at the barrel end length up to the breech openning so you don't damage the probe pounding too far down. Spray lube down the barrel like Lemon Pledge first.

All sound advice. I have had a few blooper rounds in my revolvers and instead of pounding a dowel in to the barrel, its easier to put the dowel end on the ground or bench and move the barrel up and down on the dowel like a slide hammer. It works much better than a hammer. The only caution using a dowel is if not careful and it splinters while pushing, sometimes the splinters will wedge in between the barrel and pellet, making it MUCH tougher to remove. An aluminum or brass cleaning rod I might think would work well and should be soft enough to not damage the barrel. Coat hanger....not so much.

mike

Take it real slow. I got impatient and had to replace the liner. $109.00 as I remember. I still keep it as a reminder. Good luck.

Also when cocking think slow and easy all the way back then all the way forward. Seems like FX would have an anti double load device.

p.s. I can’t blame it on my wife.

I would suggest a torch to it but would probably fry the o-rings in the epoxied on TP.

While I won't go into how it happened but it has happened to me. Ruined 2 aluminum rifle cleaning rods trying to push them out. Eventually, I ended up drilling them out using a plastic tube for a bit guide and a 3rd cleaning rod to remove the remnants...

The superior liner has a fair amount of choke near the muzzle, where the slugs were stuck after repeated cycling.

Since then, if I ever suspect that I may have double pump a couple slugs, I never fire the rifle. I make it safe, pull the mag, and tilt the muzzle up and usually the extra slug fall out of the breach. If not, ill grab my last cleaning rod I keep in my gun case and push it out of the breach thru the muzzle.

With pellets, (I always have mine lubed), I usually just shoot them out, if that doesn't work, that means you likely have more than 2.

For just such occasions I made a blunt, slightly cupped end bullet tapper that fits on the Bore Tec Rod that I use. Made it from the fitting that holds a bronze bore brush. (for PB's). With a muzzle guide to keep the rod off the barre, simply gently tap-tap-tap and it will clear the barrel with out damage.

Bore tech also sells both the blunt slug removers which double as a fantastic tool for slugging a bore along with the guides.

I've turned a few and threaded them from brass rod as well. ;<)

Knife 

https://www.boretech.com/products/btko-1000-00

https://www.boretech.com/products/muzzle-guards1

The first and only time I’ve jammed my wildcat with 3 pellets (the day I got it) I was able to push them out the breech end with a dowel very easily. They weren’t stuck at all. It doesn’t mean it’ll be this easy for you, but try it first before using some of the other more invasive methods. 

Seems lke a lot of people use wood dowels. I use an aluminum I say aluminum, welding rod. It isn't going to scratch a steel barrel. Besides there are welding shops everywhere it the world. You could probably drop in a welding manufacturer and tell them what you need and what it's for they will probably give you one. They aren't going to splinter like a dowel might. 

Have Tipton, Bore Tec, and Dewey. I would never use a dowel or alu. Both carry grit. Wood is full of grit that it picks up from the soil it is growing in.

I'm shocked that so many people here have decent high dollar AG's and not decent rods to go with them. Guess accuracy and long barrel live is not a priority. Odd!

Many mentioned dowel rods. Not one mention of what type. Most hardware stores carry both pine and oak. "DO NOT" use the Pine! 

Spend a little money and purchase a decent cleaning rod. It will save a lot of grief in the long run!!!

Knife