• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

James Bair 1988 Championship....Anyone know him?

I've read in at least two different postings on the internet that James Bair won a championship in 1988 using a Theoben SLR88 Imperator FT...if anyone has
20230727_132303.jpg
any information about that event or Mr. Bair please PM me...I have reason to believe I have that Imperator FT '88. I'm trying to confirm this for historical reasons...information to be passed along with the gun...when the time comes...Thanks AGN!

I don't even know who would have been running FT matches in 1988. I started running matches in 1989 at Delran, NJ. The earliest record I have of the Maryland, DC, Capitol area guys was also in 89 (doesn't prove they didn't run something earlier). The only guys I know of that may have run matches earlier than 89 were Tampa Bay Airgunners and perhaps Delaware County Field and Stream and the guys that ran stuff there are unfortunately long gone. I am a rather old oldtimer and do not recall any Mr. Bair and Thoeben rifles were pricey and therefore pretty scarce even back then. Two of the old time guys to ask about this might be Mike Andrews or Roz Sumpter but I am afraid your info might just be lost in history.
There may have been some matches in The Michigan area or the west coast but I have no memory of them.
Sorry for the non-answer but it's all the info I have.
Good luck,
Rick B.

Reactions: tibor
Google is your friend:

Halfway down the page (from JW652):
"Concerning FT, a centerfire shooting instructor named James Bair claimed the AAFTA National Championship around 1991 using the Imperator. He was an amazing shooter and we were stunned that he took the national title on his first attempt, using a springer and beating all the PCP shooters. Except one. Nick Jenkinson (four time World FT Champion) outscored him using his custom AA rifle which went on to become the NJR-100. However, he is a Brit and ineligible for our national title, so Bair was the Champ."

Google is your friend:

Halfway down the page (from JW652):
"Concerning FT, a centerfire shooting instructor named James Bair claimed the AAFTA National Championship around 1991 using the Imperator. He was an amazing shooter and we were stunned that he took the national title on his first attempt, using a springer and beating all the PCP shooters. Except one. Nick Jenkinson (four time World FT Champion) outscored him using his custom AA rifle which went on to become the NJR-100. However, he is a Brit and ineligible for our national title, so Bair was the Champ."
Thank you, I read it long ago, a link Motorhead sent me confirmed James Blair's win in Louisiana 1990...open, but not about the SPECIFIC Imperator he used...jw652 is the guy I need to talk to...he disabled his PM...pretty sure I know who he is...He witness the match and may know the specific FT Imperlator...there is another thread from 2015 jw652 stated he SAW James Blair using THAT gun...the one I have now...was pictured...now, that specific gun or another FT Imperator, just that kind of gun...like to have confirmation but don't want to bother anyone and a member who disables their PM doesn't appear to want contacted...I'm considering how to proceed....Still wondering if James Blair is still around? Thanks for helping!

Reactions: Lewis