• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Jager XP .30 cal review

I would like to give my thoughts on this rifle for everyone to read about. After having the rifle for 9 months and only having it in my hands roughly 3 of those months, i felt like it was time to share my experience with mine and the other Jager I've shot. My friend Cast on here has a Jager .30 cal for alittle over a year now. After shooting his rifle for about 3 or 4 months and seeing how well it shot out to 150 yards, I knew I wanted one too. I finally broke down and ordered one from R&L Airguns back in February, only to get a different looking rifle from what my friend has and whats shown on the website. Mine arrived with a longer barrel and a short moderator on the barrel. A quick call to R&L and they told me that was what was being sent to them now and they shot just as good as the short barrel ones. Well, I mount a scope and head out to go sight it in and already know I'm going to have to adjust the power output as they're shooting pretty hot out the box from my friends rifle. I get the rifle hitting pretty close at 25 yards, and move the target out to 50 yards to sight in the scope. Its shooting decent at 980 fps, but i was getting a hard right hook on pellets every 5 or 6 shots, about 2-5" away from the bulls-eye. So, i break out the chrony and start adjusting the speed till I was getting averages of the 880's for the majority of the shots. That took care of the right hook for the most part, but would still have it occasionally. Called R&L back the next morning to inform them of what the rifle was doing, only to be told it need time to break the barrel in. Well, i shot probably 4 or 5 cans of pellets to come to the same thing still. Right hooks occasionally still and talking to them about it, they said that the rifle wasn't really meant to shoot pellets and was more designed for slug. They gave me a starting size and off to ordering slugs to try out of it. Well, after 2 to 3 months of phone call and trying a lot of different things to help improve my accuracy issue, I wrote a review on the rifle on their website. They never posted it on the gun nor would they answer my calls anymore from my cell phone. If i called from a different phone they would answer and find out it was me, just to say they was busy with another customer and would call me back, but no return call. I was mad that they was false adverting a rifle that they wasn't sending you. To this day, the barrel length is still listed as 17-3/4'' long and what they're mailing out is 21-9/16'' long with a 6'' screw on moderator. Well, after discovering I was also have pellet stability issues past 75 yards, the skirt of the pellets would start to wobble and accuracy went out the door then, I started calling around to see if someone would work on my rifle. After calling about 8 tuners, only to be turned away as they never heard of this rifle and didn't want to get into something they didn't know. The last man I called and talked to was Allan Z. He was different, said let him look the gun up online and look it over and he'd call me back with an answer. Well, I got a call back after about 10 mins with, yeah, sure, he'd give it a go. Just write a letter whats going on with it and wait a couple of weeks to ship it out. Well, long story short, after months of trying to get the barrel I had on the rifle to shoot, he finally threw the towel in on that barrel and was like, look, you need a new barrel. At his advice, he ordered my barrel and slapped it in the rifle, put one of his bull barrel full length shrouds on it to quieten down the little beast to a acceptable back yard friendly level, and made her one amazing shooting rifle. So, my advice here, if its a short barrel Jager, it should shoot well out to 150 yards. If it happens to have a long 21-9/16'' barrel on it, I'd shy away from buying it. As for R&L, I'm not bad mouthing them, but they should have handled the issue better and at least updated the site on the changes to the rifle to let buyers know what they're buying. If y'all have questions on anything about these rifles, we have 2 of them. A short barreled version and a long barreled version. Link to Pics of gun https://imgur.com/a/KmuLh

Wonder if Allan Z. would write a letter to R&L and a copy to Jager to see if someone would step up and make it right (your expenses) with you? Allan must have found something wrong with the Jager barrel, which should be covered under warranty (materials and workmanship). If there's not more to the story, it appears R&L has egg on their faces. If the gun truly is best suited to shoot slugs and not pellets, then that's the way R&L should have represented the gun before they sold it to you. When the slugs didn't shoot well either, R&L should have taken the gun in under warranty repair and resolved the problem and got you a new barrel from Jager and sent the bad barrel back to Jager for their investigation. That Allan Z. resolved the issue by replacing the barrel proves that R&L should have been able to resolve this in house. Seems to me R&L should cover Allan Z's bill for the repairs.

I'd like to hear what Allan Z. has to say of this.

I'd also like to hear R&L's version of the story.

Good composure. Dont know the rifle, I do know AZ's work and if it can be made right he is the person and if he say's your barrel was no good, not a chance he is wrong. Makes them quite also.

Darn shame the dealer went that route.
Accuracy can be a hard issue. But selling you a rifle instead of a carbine is more than just a "stock photo" issue, and it is as of today still listed as you said you ordered "17 1/2" barrel" huge difference if wanting a small rig. Enough you could have had the CC company deal with it and R&L would have been out or had to cover all shipping ... . The day you accepted the LONG model instead of a carbine they knew you were rather easy for them to deal with. 
Now if a dealer was hiding from you ( phone thing) THAT would upset me, yes.

The factory seems to say 21.7" barrel? And no barrel shorter than 19" ? 

The brite side , AZ did his magic so it should be a keeper!

How about some non-factory stock groups and a picture of the rifle with shroud?

John

"BeemanR7"Wonder if Allan Z. would write a letter to R&L and a copy to Jager to see if someone would step up and make it right (your expenses) with you? Allan must have found something wrong with the Jager barrel, which should be covered under warranty (materials and workmanship). If there's not more to the story, it appears R&L has egg on their faces. If the gun truly is best suited to shoot slugs and not pellets, then that's the way R&L should have represented the gun before they sold it to you. When the slugs didn't shoot well either, R&L should have taken the gun in under warranty repair and resolved the problem and got you a new barrel from Jager and sent the bad barrel back to Jager for their investigation. That Allan Z. resolved the issue by replacing the barrel proves that R&L should have been able to resolve this in house. Seems to me R&L should cover Allan Z's bill for the repairs.

I'd like to hear what Allan Z. has to say of this.

I'd also like to hear R&L's version of the story.
I’d like to hear R&L story too, as I’ve not had contact with them for about 7 months now. Allan is old school, doesn’t do the internet thing nor the forums, but has another Jager there in .30 cal he’s working on fixing those issues too. Barrel wasn’t as bad as mine, but it’s still not a one hole gun at 50 yards. I tried getting them to warranty the rifle. That’s when they stop having contact with me. But it’s whatever now as I’ve bit the Bullet and gotten it fixed at my cost.

"spysir"Good composure. Dont know the rifle, I do know AZ's work and if it can be made right he is the person and if he say's your barrel was no good, not a chance he is wrong. Makes them quite also.

Darn shame the dealer went that route.
Accuracy can be a hard issue. But selling you a rifle instead of a carbine is more than just a "stock photo" issue, and it is as of today still listed as you said you ordered "17 1/2" barrel" huge difference if wanting a small rig. Enough you could have had the CC company deal with it and R&L would have been out or had to cover all shipping ... . The day you accepted the LONG model instead of a carbine they knew you were rather easy for them to deal with. 
Now if a dealer was hiding from you ( phone thing) THAT would upset me, yes.

The factory seems to say 21.7" barrel? And no barrel shorter than 19" ? 

The brite side , AZ did his magic so it should be a keeper!

How about some non-factory stock groups and a picture of the rifle with shroud?

John

I’ll get some pic this week of the rifle better and groups. Waiting on my 30x scope to arrive this week and I’ll post some 100 yard groups with it. Allan said he can 1 ragged hole at 100 yards with it now and that pic in the link was me shooting this past week at 100 yards with a 8 mph wind and a 15x scope. I was hitting a 1 lbs propane cylinder at 200 yards consistently with it Saturday. The groups stock was about 3-5” at 100 yards before I sent it to him if that tells you anything.

So, my over all impressions of the rifle, light, for a 80+ fpe gun, 6-7 lbs is light and add another pound or 2 with a scope and mounts, its not a heavy rifle. Its well balanced, shoulders nice, and feels good in the hands with the stippling of the fore end. You have a 272cc air tube that's good to 220 bar. Depending on how you tune the rifle, and the power output, depends on where you fill it to and shot count. Im shooting and average of 885 fps with a fill pressure of 180 bar down to 100 bar. Gives me a good 20-21 shots per fill with out alot of valve noise. The Hammer spring adjuster is easy to get to. Loosen the small set screw under the side lever and turn counter clockwise to decrease speed and clockwise to increase speed. Im still playing with holds, lighter holds, firm holds to see which it prefers, but shooting 50 yards i really cant tell a difference at that distance. The trigger is a one stage affair. No creep, no slack, no take up, its a light 8oz pull and very predictable now. Breaks very clean. Shooting the rifle, there's a slight ping noise. Not bad or loud and standing 5 feet away you don't hear it at all, but when your cheek is on the stock, its there. The rifle has a little light recoil, reason I've been playing with holds, trying to see if it prefers one over the other. As I shoot this more and more, I'll try to keep adding more stuff to my likes and dislikes. I already don't like that I don't have a 40'' rifle. That's one of my biggest gripes so far with it. I was looking for a shorter hunting rifle that i can occasionally plink with out to 150 plus yards. I'll update this again Saturday or Sunday, after I get back from shooting it some more and letting Norm and Troy shoot her some and see what they think of her now.

Wow that's crazy about the barrel length issue w/RLs advertising. Randy does need to make amends...

Just wanted to add my positive 2 cents regarding HORHE-JÄGER rifles. I bought one of the 1st JÄGER XP .35s imported from RL couple years ago and wrote about it on the `Big Bore' other forum site. The JÄGER is a high quality, lightweight, compact powerhouse of a rifle. Extremely accurate, i wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Mine came just as advertised on R/Ls site. Shame you've had these problems, mine been tested out of box to 50 yards with consistant accuracy. My XP .35 (below pic) is set up for a dozen quality shots in mid 850+FPS(JSB) range before she drops off. I use precision alloy(not plastic) (3)round Linear & (6)round Rotary Mags from a well known Russian supplier. Both style mags will load up to a 15mm long projectile. Its my understanding JÄGERs are commonly used for small game hunting in Russia.
My XP .35 shoots JSB 81gr Diablos, Air Venturi 95 Gr Hollowpoints, but has shown best accuracy with the New Predator 81gr Polymags. Just waiting for the New JÄGER `Bottle Tank' versions to make it across the pond in Big Bore.
f56d1f96037fe9fd95366909ee5237b3.jpg

383957d4e7d152f1c8ba2a3bc31b07b0.jpg

"KRJoye"Wow that's crazy about the barrel length issue w/RLs advertising. Randy does need to make amends...

Just wanted to add my positive 2 cents regarding HORHE-JÄGER rifles. I bought one of the 1st JÄGER XP .35s imported from RL couple years ago and wrote about it on the `Big Bore' other forum site. The JÄGER is a high quality, lightweight, compact powerhouse of a rifle. Extremely accurate, i wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Mine came just as advertised on R/Ls site. Shame you've had these problems, mine been tested out of box to 50 yards with consistant accuracy. My XP .35 (below pic) is set up for a dozen quality shots in mid 850+FPS(JSB) range before she drops off. I use precision alloy(not plastic) (3)round Linear & (6)round Rotary Mags from a well known Russian supplier. Both style mags will load up to a 15mm long projectile. Its my understanding JÄGERs are commonly used for small game hunting in Russia.
My XP .35 shoots JSB 81gr Diablos, Air Venturi 95 Gr Hollowpoints, but has shown best accuracy with the New Predator 81gr Polymags. Just waiting for the New JÄGER `Bottle Tank' versions to make it across the pond in Big Bore.
f56d1f96037fe9fd95366909ee5237b3.jpg

383957d4e7d152f1c8ba2a3bc31b07b0.jpg
I would like them to make amends, but don’t honestly seeing it happening. The only reason I bought a Jager was because my friend Troy’s shot soooooo nice abs was super accurate and hearing about yours in .35 cal and how it was performing also, I bit the bullet and bought one. But she’s shooting now after a small fortune invested into her.

Great that you have solved your problems with Jager. Unfortunately even in Russia the quality of Jager airguns isis not always as high, as we want.

But the situation changes. The creator of Jagers started his own production, and now we will have much upgraded and more high quality airguns Jaeger - it has the same form factor as before, but made on another machinery and will be much better.

Classic carabine and 0,5l tank carabine will be available. Bullpups will also be on the market. As far as I know the sells start at the end of the year.